Need and instructor in Augusta GA - Instruction in Augusta GA

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Larry » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:07 pm

So - I got my first set of congas last week :D - now I know more than ever that while I can make some progress on my own - if I don't want to develop some BAD habits I need some one-on-one instruction!! Anyone know of an instructor in The Augusta Georgia Area? Plus there is nothing like a mentor to get ya going!;)

Thanks all
Larry
Larry

Postby Larry D » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:21 am

:D OK never mind - I found an instructor. My first lesson is This Thursday - I'm jazzed!! Video's are great but I just can't believe that person to person won't be fantasitc!!

Yes I'm answering my own post!! Thanks all
Larry D

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi Larry D...make sure he is qualified-experienced and has a "method" of teaching. You may also want to goto ...Lessons4you.com and search your city and state for instructors. Your on your way,,,good Luck!...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Larry D » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:08 am

I checked Lessons4you and there is NOTHING there for this area - closes is I Atlanta - 150 miles away a bit to far for a regular thing.

QUESTION - You mentioned "method" of teaching - What do you mean? I know that I have seen you mention that before but just not sure what you mean.

Any suggestions on questions I should ask or things I should look for? Of course when you're a newbie everything looks good but I really don't want to learn bad habits from the beginning.

A guy told me last night he couldn't believe I was taking lessons - that congas had to be felt you coudl either do or not. Not sure I agree with that -

Anyway - thanks for the words - - Larry D
Larry D

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:48 am

yEA EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW TOP PLAY THE DRUM.........NOT!!.....Don't take information from people who are not experienced with the drum. Meaning they have been playing one for more than 10 years. As far as "method" can he break rhythms down, does he have a particular "style". My method is called....S.T.O.M.P. Slap Tone Open Muffle Palm. but I also teach reading and counting,rhythms,styles,history,that is what a "true" Teacher should know. Every aspect that comes with the instrument. And the conga drum has a LONG history attached to hit. People have literally been killed over the drum, it's not something to take lightly and I'm not trying to be overdramatic about it. But in Cuba at one time slaves were killed for playing their drums. I also know of a few people who were shot in NYCity over drums. So don't be shy ask all the questions How long have you been playing ? Who else have you taught? How Long have you been Teaching? Who was your Teacher? Can you teach other instruments ex. bongos,timbales etc.? If you learn to play the Conga you should learn the whole family conga bongo timbal.....that is the skool I went to and that is how I teach......Hope this helps...At your Service. PS 150 miles is that all, I guess you don't want to learn that bad Huh?............ ;) JC JOHNNY CONGA.....MONGO LIVES!
JohnnyConga

Postby Larry D » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:43 pm

JC You're killin me - only a 150 miles!- Thanks for the words. I couldn't agree with you more! I have a background in music (trumpet is my major instrument) so I know what you are talking about. I will have the answer to these questions today!!

His studio looks like drum heaven - Yes the whole percussion family; congas to kit -to shakers - bongo's - and lots of strange things I only hope to learn about!! Surely that will come -

thanks again for your time, patiences, words and guidanceb - Larry D
Larry D

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:36 pm

No problem Larry D..your on your way then...Keep us informed and what is the name of your Teacher?...At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Michael S » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:59 am

JC, why do you say if one learns the congas, one should learn the entire "family"? Can you expound on that? Why are timbales part of the family? They are not hand drums. They may accompany the conga but just as often don't. Is it because they share a history?
Michael S

Postby Larry D » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:19 am

Hello Again!

My teacher's name is "Not" Gaddy. Not is short for Northal I think. He uses what he refer's to as the Goom-BaH method of instruction. The first lesson was not what I had expected (But that is me wanting to run before I can crawl.) BUT after a week of practicing as he instructed me I have found that already my accuracy and speed have improved tremendously! :)

He also spoke of the need to learn the WHOLE drum family - starting with the cowbell. He mentioned how important it is to understand how all fo the percussion fits together to produce the overall sound and feel.

Thanks again guys and gals for the imput - I'll keep reading and play'n :D Larry D
Larry D

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:07 pm

In New York City if you wanted to be a good player to learn the "family" was the way to go . Also if somebody needed a bongo player or timbale player you could cover the chair if you were good enough. I play upwards of about over 200 hand percussion instruments. That is what a "multi-percussionist" does,which i have been for many years. Goombah is what Italians call each other so I never heard of that method at all. But if it's working for you ,Great! I'm not one to knock a method,as long as it garnishes results. Hand percussion can only help you in the long run. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Larry D » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:09 pm

Goom-BaH - African in desent- Goom refering to the Base note and BaH the Open tone. My first lesson and first set fo exercise consisted of nothing but Base notes and open tones all straight eight notes in different arrangements alternating hands - simple warm up exercise
Goom = base note
bah = open tone
for example
at 120 -145 bpm
Goom bah bah goom goom bah bah goom goom bah bah goom bah goom goom bah (repeat)

Keep Learing!! Larry D
Larry D

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:31 am

X-CELLANT....it makes perfect sense....this is on jimbe drum right?.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:28 am

que pasa Johnny Conga? HEY MY BROTHER, YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF. NOT GADDY IS ALSO A REAL GOOD TRAP DRUMMER, BUT LAS TUMBAS IS NOT HIS THING YOU KNOW. HE SPECIALIZES IN THE DUN DUN, DJEMBE, ALSO GIVES PIANO LESSONS. I GO TO HIS STUDIO 'BOUT ONCE A WEEK JUST TO JAM. I'M GONNA HAVE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH LARRY AND SHOW HIM SOME BASICS, I MAY NOT BE A PRO (NOT YEY ANYWAY) BUT I'M WILLING TO SHARE. SUAVE!!!
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby rumbaman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 pm

All my blessings to all you cats. Larryd welcome man to the best forum you will participate in . I have had experience with two instructors they both had different aprroches but my first instructor did not read music. This became a big ditch in the road for me b'cause i did not feel the timming of the rythums . My second instructor did show me how to read and it made a big difference b'cause i could feel time in a concrete way . That is my experience ,i hope you can use this to your benefit .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:20 pm

Vaya ...SkinDeep....try Lessons4you.com goto your state and type in the city and see who is teaching in your area....Let us know who is there if anybody...HAPPY HOLIDAYS!.... :D "JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!