Instructor needed in Colorado - Delta area

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby trickyricky » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:49 am

I would love to hear that there is an instructor for the tumbadoras in Colorado, somewhere near Paonia, Hotchkiss, Delta, Montrose, Glenwood Springs.
Thanks,
Trickyricky
Lose the ego...Play the music- Luther Allison
trickyricky

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:21 pm

GOTO Lessons4you.com type in your state and your area and see if anybody is there....."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby ElCocinero » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Oye Tricky,

If your ever in Phoenix, contact Mr. Onile for lessons he an excellent teacher.

Happy Holiday's

El Cocinero
ElCocinero

Postby trickyricky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:12 am

Thanks JC and El Cocinero! I would love to take lessons from Onile or JC. Anybody heading to Colorado soon? :D All of the hermanos on this forum have been wonderful.
Power to the peaceful
trickyricky
trickyricky

Postby onile » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Alafia Abure trickyricky!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of wonderful blessings mi pana!

I would love nothing better than to be able to travel to the great state of Colorado, however that is not in my immediate plans. :(

I did read however, that abure JC is now offering, for those who have the computer technology (PC camera, and mic), lessons online! How cool is that? I believe that he's offering the first lesson free, and then you guys need to work it out from there. You might want to drop him a line to let him know if you are interested.

And BTW, let me tell you a little bit about mi hermano "ElCocinero"! He has been lurking around the Phx. area for quite some time, since around the mid 70's, he's from New York. He was around 15 or so when I first met him. He never touched the drums, had other interests you might say (the girls of course). He has always been a great friend throughout the years, however one day he gets himself a set of LP Classics, and starts practicing. And boy, did he practice. It's been somewhat of a joke between us, when he tires of his instruments, he sells them to me, and vice-a-versa! Well, long story short, "ElCocinero" is now one of the finest "congueros" out here in Arizona, hands down. Abure "Cap'n Q" can attest to that!

Llevatela suave mi hermano "El Cocinero!"

So you probably already posted this info somewhere on the forum Abure Trickyricky, but how long have you been playing? and how often do you play? Do you play with a group? just curious mi pana!

La bendicion!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1136650163
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby windhorse » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Hey Rick, have we met? Last summer in Paeonia at the Dreamtime festival? I had the congas.

Anyway, if you ever consider going over the mtns to our side, the great teacher who has been showing me the ropes for a few years is Dave Lyons. He lives in Rawlinsville.
Myself and a few others go most Saturdays for a Rumba/lesson for a few hours. If you're good enough, he won't charge, since he's having fun. But, if you're just starting out he charges about $20 an hour.
Obviously, it's not how he makes his living. He's a recording engineer.

All the best!
Dave
windhorse

Postby captainquinto » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:17 pm

... "ElCocinero" is now one of the finest "congueros" out here in Arizona, hands down. Abure "Cap'n Q" can attest to that!

... and a FANTASTIC cook, as well !! :laugh:

mmmmmmmmmmm .... comida boricua!! drool, drool

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -homer.jpg
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby fireman » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:39 pm

trickyricky wrote:I would love to hear that there is an instructor for the tumbadoras in Colorado, somewhere near Paonia, Hotchkiss, Delta, Montrose, Glenwood Springs.
Thanks,
Trickyricky

Hi this is the fireman I live near Durango I been playing congas for 35 years. I would love to get together with other conga players , I also teach. Afrocuban rythms are my favorites. :)
Joseph M. Guttmann
fireman

Postby trickyricky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:00 pm

windhorse wrote:Hey Rick, have we met? Last summer in Paeonia at the Dreamtime festival? I had the congas.

Anyway, if you ever consider going over the mtns to our side, the great teacher who has been showing me the ropes for a few years is Dave Lyons. He lives in Rawlinsville.
Myself and a few others go most Saturdays for a Rumba/lesson for a few hours. If you're good enough, he won't charge, since he's having fun. But, if you're just starting out he charges about $20 an hour.
Obviously, it's not how he makes his living. He's a recording engineer.

All the best!
Dave

Sorry Dave but I didn't make it to Dreamtime. Now I wish I had though.

Thanks for the info about the other Dave. If I make it over your way (which is very possible now that there isn't a lady in my life) I will contact you ahead of time and maybe we can do some caffene or an adult beverage....or something.
Peace...please,
Rick
trickyricky

Postby trickyricky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:49 pm

Gosh thanks mis hermanos for all the great replies. So here is my story:

I have always LOVED music and have wanted to be a drummer for years. I was a base guitar player in a couple of bands back in the 60's and had sat in on the kit for a couple of songs. Loved "the beat", especially Latin music and Funk. I had lived in America Central (Honduras) for a couple of years when I was 11 & 12. Got bitten by the Latino bug then. (I was thrilled when I first heard Santana). I gave up the base guitar when I was "invited" into the Army and Vietnam in 1970. After the Army, married, children, work, school, ministry, etc. etc.

In 2003 I retired from being a Training Program Coordinator for Colorado Springs Utilities. I started doing all the things I had wanted to do but couldn't because of trabajo, raising los ninos, etc. I took up blues harmonica and bought a set of LP Aspire Congas. Spent most time practicing the harp, but would take out my frustrations on the drums. Started remembering how I really loved playing the drums.
Bought an Aspire tumba and Richie Gajate-Garcia's CD/book, Dancing Hands' DVD/CD/book, Pancho Sanchez's Conga Cook Book/CD, and now am working on The Tomas Cruz Conga Method. Had one very short set of lessons (I think it was 3) with a young student at Mesa State College in Grand Junction Colorado about a year and 1/2 ago. He played with the school band and he thought I showed promise. I have sat in with bands on both the harmonica and the tumbadoras and am having lots of fun. I have lots to learn. I play along with Santana, Mana', 3 cd set called the Cuban Jam Session, other Salsa CD's. Everytime I start thinking how well I am doing, I get a DVD of Giovanni Hidalgo from Netflix, the one he did with el Negro the kit drummer(from Brazil I think). You know the one where they go from 4:4 into 6:8, then to something like 9:37ths, back to 4:4, then to 65/117ths <grin> It gives me a strange mix of excitement and dispair, if you know what I mean.

So dats me my brothers(...are there any sisters on this board?)
Peace, Love, and Grace to all,
Rick :D
trickyricky

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 am

If anybody has a webcam and a mic , it's possible I can help you with your drumming...Email me privetly to set up a FREE [email]lesson....johnnyconga@hotmail.com....[/email] :D "JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... AUTHOR.doc
JohnnyConga

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!