Instructor in Maracaibo Venezuela - Afro-Venezuelan percussion

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Jongo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:42 pm

In December-January I am going to spend about 5 weeks in Maracaibo Venezuela and I thought this would be a great opportunity to begin an introduction to Afro Venezuelan percussion. If anybody has any contacts or any ideas on how to make some contacts to get lined up with an instructor I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Juan
Jongo

Postby ralph » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 pm

Jongo wrote:In December-January I am going to spend about 5 weeks in Maracaibo Venezuela and I thought this would be a great opportunity to begin an introduction to Afro Venezuelan percussion. If anybody has any contacts or any ideas on how to make some contacts to get lined up with an instructor I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Juan

i don't know specifically but the Quintero bros..Luisito and Roberto are from Venezuela i believe and if you can get in contact with them they should be able to put you on to somebody...never met them but i heard they are really nice guys, from people who have...Roberto has played with Bobby Sanabria, maybe Bobby has his contact info, go to http://www.bobbysanabria.com, also Roberto has played with Marlon Simon and the Nagual spirits and countless other...Luisito i think is more freelancing.........
peace
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:10 pm

Maracaibo is off the coast of Venezuela.. Ur best bet is to call the local radio station and ask who is the top latin band, where they are playing in town and then find out who is the conga player...that is what I would do..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:40 pm

Jongo wrote:In December-January I am going to spend about 5 weeks in Maracaibo Venezuela and I thought this would be a great opportunity to begin an introduction to Afro Venezuelan percussion. If anybody has any contacts or any ideas on how to make some contacts to get lined up with an instructor I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Juan

Jongo,

You should get in contact with FundaciĆ³n Bigott. Attached is their link.

FundaciĆ³n Bigott

They offer several courses on Afro-Venezuelan percussion during the year and hopefully they can recommend you with some instructors names in the Maracaibo area. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127590935
tamboricua

Postby Jongo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:52 pm

Hey, Jorge, Ralph and Johnny Conga thanks for the great ideas. I have not attempted to contact the Quintero brothers yet but I will give them a try. I checked out that link to the Fundacion Bigott and they are in Caracas but I know they could definitely help me out. From what I here that is a great place to study in Venezuela. There is a famous group from Maracaibo called Guaco so I might try to get in touch with them. They might be a little too famous so I might have to try a different group.
The other thing I wanted to do was go to the Festival of San Benito. In a little town on the coast huge crowds of people get together and drum for San Benito, the patron saint of Venezuela. The people make offerings of rum to San Benito and have a huge procession, it's really cool. To be there and see it in person will be great, if I can actually get to participate and play the drums for San Benito that will be an amazing experience. I'll have to keep you guys posted and let you all know how it goes. Thanks
Juan
Jongo

Postby Isaac » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:55 am

For more info about percussionists
in Maracaibo try contacting percussionist
Jose Gregorio. He records with Luis Enrique &
is originallly from Maracaibo.
I met him last year when he toured
with Nestor Torres. We hung out
a bit in Miami - a super positive guy.

his email is :
gregoriotambo@hotmail.com

from ISAAC
Percussionist / Rep. JCR Percussion Co.
(732) 236-8148 cell
Isaac

Postby Jongo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:28 pm

I am back from Venezuela! My vacation got cut down to two weeks instead of 5 but I can't complain. I was able to play a little Gaita while I was in Maracaibo. My mother-in-law has a neighbor that's a gaitero so I got some contacts through him. But the best gaiteros I saw were these 12 year old kids! They played the real Gaita music and tore it up! I say the real Gaita because some of the stuff I saw on TV was kind of a lame watered down version. These kids played more traditional Gaita and were really good. I think every school has a group and so the talent is really nurtured and cultivated. It was great to see
Jongo

Postby niallgregory » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:11 am

sounds great man.Give us a run down on gaita please.
niall gregory
niallgregory

Re: Instructor in Maracaibo Venezuela - Afro-Venezuelan perc

Postby aelinares » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:43 am

If you are interesting on Instructor in Maracaibo you can contact me, I'm live here, I'm from Maracaibo and percussionist.
aelinares

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!