Looking for a conga teacher in Chicago

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Acopalips » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:50 am

I sort of taught myself to play and I feel like I need a teacher now. I've tired to find a conga teacher here, but have had no luck. Does anybody know of one?

Thanks.
Acopalips

Postby ralph » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:14 pm

there is a tamboloro by the name of Fuentes in Chi Town:
taken off of batadrums.com:
Juan "Tartabull" Fuentes teaches bata to dedicated students and leads El Grupo O Ko Kan, which plays rumba and rumbata and are available to play toques and tambores at people's homes. He can be reached via email at Adeache@aol.com or on his pager at 773-372-2115.
Now you may say i don't want a batalero, i need a conguero, but i would bet that if he or one of his crew can't teach you he knows someone in the area that can...

Ralph
ralph

Postby tamboricua » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Acopalips,

Look out for Rubén Alvarez. He is on the faculty at Northwestern and Roosevelt Universities.

Also Carlos Antonio Cornier at:

carlos@funkadesi.com

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Acopalips » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:09 pm

Thank you!
Acopalips

Postby kongo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:20 pm

Hola Acopalips. Sorry for the late posting. You can't go wrong with Juan Fuentes for conga or Bata. I studied under him and can vouch for his skill. He will give you a real workout so bring your "A" game!

Another great teacher in Chicago is Isabelino Landor. I can give you their telephone numbers if you wish.

Suerte!
kongo
kongo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:39 am

There is also Mike Gallichio, who runs the site Congaclub.com, go there and talk with him...."JC" Johnny Conga.. :D
JohnnyConga

Re: Looking for a conga teacher in Chicago

Postby Gallichio » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks JC.

banner copy.jpg
banner copy.jpg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 13329 times

Mike Gallichio
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi Mike do u have a video of your skills on congas u can share with everyone here?.... Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Gallichio » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Hello JC
In My Conga Place under my name are some videos of me playing Congas, Bongos, Drum Set, and Hangdrum. I will post more when I have some time.
Thanks
Mike Gallichio
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Gallichio » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 am

All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby hangnailrumbero » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello.... My name is Luis Ricardo Lopez and I just moved to Chicago from Miami. I am 30 years old,I am of Cuban/Puertorican descent and I have been playing the conga drum for 18 years now. I have learned and played with some special people that I have come across of and some Mr. JC can vouch for...... Mongo Santamaria(met him thru my father and Pepe Aparicio and Miguel Cruz), may He r.i.p., Ron Loreto aka the white bear(who taught me my first tumbao when I was 12 years old), Oscar Salas(drummer with weather report, david byrne and percussionist with many others), Edwin Torres(ex-native of Chicago), "El Pocho" at FIU(Florida Interational University,Alex Acuna's Cousin)....and countles others. If you are interested in taking Conga Lessons, please feel free to email me @ LRLopez77@gmail.com. I have a study room in my apartment....no problem with other tenants....God Bless y Ashe Pa Ti'.....Oh. By the way.... The member by the name of Omelenko a.k.a. Dario, has a set of Tirados that I sold to him in 2005. He can also vouch for me as he was the one that hosted a dinner party for Mongo Santamaria the christmas before he passed away. We jammed that day for Mongo and he can be of witness of my capabilities....thank you again and hope to hear from you and anyone else who is looking for a conga teacher in Chicago.
hangnailrumbero

Postby YorubaSon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Gallichio wrote:You can also try-
http://www.youtube.com/user/tubemenow2007

With all respect, and it's just my opinion but the videos posted on your link do not show me that you are a credible teacher of advanced congas and/or Cuban rhythms. You have nice drums and zeal but I'm not impressed by your technique or timing.

Again, just my opinion. You put your video out there and asked for students on a conga forum.
YorubaSon

Postby Gallichio » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:38 am

Hello YorubaSon
In the video I was not showing any teaching methods. I was showing my new beautiful Volcano Percussion Congas in free form. I don't feel the need to prove my teaching methods to you or compete with anyone. But FYI- I have taken drum lessons for about 12 years with the great drum set/percussion teacher Phil Stanger downtown Chicago. ( now semi retired living in LA ) I Have been teaching for over 10 years. I have played in and around Chicago for over 40 years in countless groups. I can read and sight read all but the most demanding drum charts. I do not have a teaching degree but all the students that study with me stay with me for years and learn a great deal. I am very proud of my students. One of them won a complete 4 year scholarship to Eastern Illinois University for percussion. All of my students are in groups and play out. I have a true passion and love for the drums. All the really good players/teachers that I know in and around Chicago are very supportive of one another. I am very lucky that I can play and teach. This is what I do for a living full time at my home and I have a Illinois Business Authorization Certificate of Registration and Insurance. And I also have a Tax ID number for my business because we can't forget about good old Uncle Sam. I also sell a instructional DVD called Beginners Conga Drumming and a instructional DVD called Beginners Bongo Drumming. For beginners that want to learn and do not have the time for lessons. I am currently in three groups. 1 The Rockin Docks.(A Rock Group) 2.TTW ( Thicker Than Water- Also a rock group with some latin) 3. Tapestry. ( A Percussion ensemble ) I am very lucky to have just about as many students that I can handle. I have also ben invited to teach a drum workshop at the Suzuki School of Music in Chicago next month. I will also have a booth at the Chicago Drum Show called The Conga Hut. I also run the site Yahoo CongaClub at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/congaclub You can join for free. I also donate concerts to help the mentally retarded children. These are some of the things that make me a credible teacher. Now YorubaSon what makes you a credible teacher? Some day maybe we will meet and exchange some ideas.
Good Luck
Mike Gallichio
Attachments
show.jpg
show.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 13130 times
Last edited by Gallichio on Fri May 16, 2008 2:09 am, edited 9 times in total.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby YorubaSon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:55 am

I saw on your flyer that you advertise conga lessons, seeking students.
Since you have access to video you might consider posting up a video of your teaching technique.
Just my 2 cents, might get you some students from it.
YorubaSon

Postby Gallichio » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:57 am

YorubaSon,
Thanks for the idea I will consider it.
Mike Gallichio
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!