what are average rates? - for private lessons $$$

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby blas » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:13 am

what is a reasonable price range for hourly instruction? I live in NJ but I would be interested to hear what people pay in other parts of the country too.
blas

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:06 pm

As a teacher I charge $40 bucks for an hour and a half...Can't beat it, for what I teach......"JC" Johnny Conga :D
JohnnyConga

Postby franc » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:15 am

J.C,
that is a good price to teach.!! i have taken classes here for the price of 25.00 dollars for one hour, so 15.00 addicional for the other half you charge is reasonable. mostly every where here they charge 50.00 dollars an hour.take care and ache ''conguerro mayor'' franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Gracias Franc.....usually i give more than an hour and a half ... I am passing a "tradition" on to others and not just "taking" money. Plus a lot of my students have also become life long friends. I still get calls from around the world and here in the states, from former students who still ask questions. I love it!.....For me it's the love of teaching and sharing....siempre pa'lante y nunca pa'tra!....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby gilbert » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:42 pm

i've contacted Orlando Poleo who lives in france and he will charge me 30 euros per hour around 38 dollars

well its quiet a sum because 38 dollars here in Lebanon can buy you alot of stuff :-S
gilbert

Postby Berimbau » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:57 pm

Holy Crap JC!!!
I hope not to regret posting this, but I do charge $80 an hour for strangers, usually one lesson yuppies, New Agers, and unwashed hippies. Gotta fumigate the house after they leave, just hate the stench of patchulli oil!!! Still, that's the HARDEST money I make, and I couldn't be happier when someone thinks that I charge too much. Before books, dvds, and the internet, you had to go to Harlem, Brooklyn, or the South Bronx to learn spank those tumbadoras, something these SUV driving idiots would never do!!!
For Professional musicians I charge $60 for 90 minutes. Less if I like 'em and they can jam! For poor students it's cheap or free, depending on how much they practice. The more they practice the less I make 'em pay.
JC is 100% correct, this IS a tradition and you can make WAY more money doing almost ANYTHING else!!! Seeing a young drummer develop their musicianship is one of the most rewarding things that we old farts can do. Check out an absolutely beaming Charlie Palmieri playing a cowbell for a classroom of South Bronx kids in the dvd Salsa: Latin Music in the Cities. Now passing on our Afro-Cuban or Afro-Brasilian traditions is simply priceless, and we owe that to the ancestors!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 am

A bit high for the lessons, I think, but hey if u can get it, more power to ya...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Berimbau » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:46 am

Hey JC,
My point is that I DON'T get it and really prefer it that way! I will always go out of my way to help INTERESTED students, but the "scenesters" just don't heat my grease. You know the type. On a canoe one weekend, at a drum circle the next, on to a Texas hold 'em tournement or to a capoeira class. The $80.00 really weeds 'em out. That's headache money.
On the other hand, I did "sell" a Gon Bops quinto to a drum student for $100, trully an ashe' de' for sure. I'm sure our friend Robert Fletcher could have gotten me upwards to $600 for it. Lord knows, money ain't everything! My student loves that drum and plays it everyday.
On the other hand, from what folks tell me about your conga abilities, maybe YOU should charge a lot more!!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:29 pm

I want to KEEP my students and make it affordable for them ..if they don't have Cash they have to bring me Food or something to barter with....nothing is for free, my education, trials and tribulations cost me more than anybody got........I know guys who charge 50 bucks and teach ONE thing over and over...that really pisses me off....so that is what I charge and why....reminder ..Once again because u can play does NOT make u a Teacher!....."JC" Johnny Conga....PS I also do not accept "hobbiest's", part time players, or wannabee's....Only serious need apply......Tank U..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Alafia Abures!
It's great to hear the differences in rates out there for teaching.
Abure Berimbau, if you can get that kinda cash for teaching, that would be great, but you betta feedem too! :D

I actually had a female student who came to me on a gig I was doing some years back, and asked for lessons. I agreed to meet with her and give her first lesson free, just to see what her skill level was like. When I asked her to play, she of course started with guaguanco. Wow! I was impressed with the sound, the technique and the style she possessed, so I asked her where had she studied before. She told me that she had been given a couple of lessons by one of my previous students who had somehow dropped off the face of the earth. Well no wonder I was impressed so, it was my technique she was displaying, along with her ache!
I continued to teach her for the better part of a year and encouraged her to start playing out publically!
BTW! I never charged her! She continues to work latin venues out here in the Phoenix area!

I was actually charging only $25 per lesson. Now, much like Abure JC, I focus on the genuineness of the student. If they practice, and it shows in their playing, then I give of myself more freely, but focus on the basic sounds and techniques initially. It's not unheard of for me to have a student stay for over an hour working on several techniques, or rythms. This isn't a business for me mind you, so I don't have it structured as such. It's hands-on teaching, from developing the slaps, to helping them learn (as Abure JC's goal is) "how to get there!" It takes time, depending on their skill level and committment! I'm still in line for your DVD Abure JC!

I guess I should consider raising my rates, but then again, I'm not teaching 12 hours or even 6 hours a day. It's actually a love of mine to be able to teach when I can. Call me gullable! :p :D

Many blessings to you all!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1145476294
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby niallgregory » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:26 pm

My problem is when im teaching i dont set time limits as strictly as i should.I usually end up going way over the time ,as i am enjoying passing on these things to the student.I think people who teach Latin Percussion are very passionate about it and generous with the knowledge .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:52 pm

I do $50 for the first hour, $20 for an additional hour if doing 2hrs.
Or if only doing 1 hour, its $50.
Conversion to US dollars, $50 AUD makes it around $40 USD or so an hour.

Pretty good I would say, the average for private lessons is $60 AUD an hour, be it singing, piano etc tuition.

*AUD = Australian Dollars
*USD = American Dollars
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Berimbau » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Can't we all chip in to send Dr. Z to Obedience School? The rugs around here are just stinking with his dogs#@*!!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 am

Thread cleaned up.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:34 pm

Now I'm curious. What happened to Dr. Z's post? I don't see it.
-David
davidpenalosa

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!