Teacher in Europe - want to looking for conga

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Smejmoon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:32 pm

Dear friends, it's time for me to take some conga lessons. The problem is that I don't know anyone in Latvia that could teach me. Have to fly to another country.

I imagine few days, weekend or week, with 2 hour lessons with teacher and 4-6 hours of individual practice. Never done this before, so do not know what suits best.

I have few years djembe experience, had conga lessons with visiting artists 2 times, some 12-16 hours in total. Currently I'm taking weekly lessons from good jazz drum teacher and learn a lot from him. I practice conga an hour a day at home and have done it for half a year. I also exercise in bus when go to work :) and play/jam when possible. My regular gigs are reggae music with band. I percuss and percuss there. Want to get that donkey jaw. ;-)

What I think I have to learn is basic techniques, relaxed playing and things I have no idea I have to learn. :)

Because I expect to pay for airplane tickets, lessons and living, cost is also important. According to CIA factbook Latvia may be three times as rich as Cuba, but still we are the poorest EU country.

So please if you have any idea, that would be appreciated. If that's important I speak English, Russian, little German and Latvian and can do basic communication in Latin languages.

Ģirts

Edited By Smejmoon on 1137176859
Smejmoon

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Have you been out to your latin clubs, live music venues, festivals, performances etc where there may be a Conga player? Ask around musicians or people who know musicians...
Maybe visit your drum store, ask if they know of a good conguero.
Search and ye shall find!

Another option that may be available to you is to take lessons online through webcam with JC Johnny Conga from these boards.
The man definately plays. :cool:
Send him a Private Message or email him direct on johnnyconga@hotmail.com

I unfortunately dont know of any conga players in Latvia though.

All the best with your search.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Juzzi » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi Smejmoon!

If you can't find anyone in Latvia or nearby you can always come to Turku, Finland. I teach percussion here and I've been playing the past 3 years with Carlos d'l Puerto's group among others.

I have studied with Cubans like Eliel Lazo. In my opinion, he is probably one the best in the world today even if he in his early twenties. Check him out if you can!

Actually, we played a few gigs in Riga last year. It was a nice place to visit:)

Jussi
Juzzi

Postby Smejmoon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:20 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Search and ye shall find! I unfortunately dont know of any conga players in Latvia though.

Man, if something is more on the other side on the globe than you, than that is in New Zealand. :D We have snow and ice here right now and I have played in all "latin clubs" we have myself. And I guess I know most of players personally too. They just are not teachers. :)
Smejmoon

Postby Smejmoon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Juzzi wrote:If you can't find anyone in Latvia or nearby you can always come to Turku, Finland.

That would be realy nice, Jussi! I will contact you over PM later.
Smejmoon

Postby niallgregory » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:08 am

I played in Riga last year also with deadcandance .Beautiful city.Come to Ireland man ! Its not as cold as latvia. :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Smejmoon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi Jussi! Is it realy possible to take conga lessons from You? :)
Turku seems realy close, if I fly to Tampere and take train from there. What time is best for you? For me anything after 4th of February. We have 2 important concerts until then.
I tried to send PM here in forum, but was not sure it works, because I saw nothing in Sent folder. My email is: sm@smejmoon.lv
Hello Niall! Are You from Drogheda? Right now it looks like going to You will cost half conga, but I'll do it this year for sure. Could you send me an e-mail?
G'irts from Riga.
(-27...-32° Celsius here)
Smejmoon

Postby Juzzi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi Girts!
Of course. You're welcome to Turku! Contact me jussimakela@hotmail.com and we can talk more.

-J
Juzzi

Postby Salseroberlinense » Mon May 01, 2006 8:40 pm

Just posted it at another thread, in Berlin there are the percussion art center and groove where you find all sorts of percussion teachers, some of them also give workshops. There are very cheap direct flights between Riga and Berlin. But for sure Turku is even closer.
Salseroberlinense

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!