Percussion project congo-fon-bata-cajon July 2006- - Denver/Boulder CO

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby SVSRUMBERO » Wed May 10, 2006 8:27 pm

My uncle Gilles Premel is coming from France to Denver this July 2006- He will be putting on a couple of workshops- Here is his webpage and a description of what he will be putting on......www.artisanat-africain.com/instruments/groupe_de_musique.htm/professor_percusion.htm......

Let me know if interested or have questions-

Percussion project congo-fon-bata-cajon .

This project is mainly focused on the possible insurtions of africain arara and congo
Percussion parts in the afro-cuban heritage and it’s polyrythmical possibility’s in
Theyre traditional and modern fusion.
We will be abording the complexe styles of the munequitos de matanzas,clave y guaguanco
Pancho quinto and the papines. How each of these groups use bata and arara and other
Rythms as intros ,bridges and canals.
One of the otner aspects will be the use different percussive arrangements in this repertoire .
For exemple : munequitos intro followed by congo rythm wala into columbia then going for
Yambu bata rumba ending with an arara system from benin.
This is just an exemple of the different situation’s we are going to approach.
The other system’s are concerning the afro brasillian and the more africain oriented styles
Of playing and interpreting. the repertoire that we are going to play should and can be played for concerts and recordings for a demo or to promot afro-cuban percussion and it’s africain heritage.
Concretly we will be looking at : agbadja,ogbahoun,afrekete,gangbo,kaka concerning the fon repertoire .
For the congalese : wha la ,nzobi,wara,and okelé rythms.
Arrangements from clave y guaguanco los munequitos when i was studing with them ,mandingo intros and breaks and some of my own arrangements that we played with
Emile biayenda director of the tambour of brazza in last years workshop with emile.
All of these will be instrumentalised for each player as a system set : exmple :one player
With cajon on the bottom two congas, campanas,and one bata drum or batajon .
So the player can go from a bembe to a toque silvé to guarapachanga to makuta back to
A break and finish with gangbo-columbia.
I hope this has put a certain insight concerning the potential of the workshop and the work it can fufill each neophit, semi-pro and pro to acheave more information as to the undeniable relationship with west africa and all it’s heavy heritage that it inspire’s us.

SVS
SVSRUMBERO

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 11, 2006 5:29 am

Excellent proposal. If you capture it on video I would love to be sent a copy for my personal library and collection.

All the best to you in your project. :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Ivan » Thu May 11, 2006 5:00 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Excellent proposal. If you capture it on video I would love to be sent a copy for my personal library and collection.

Me, too...

Good Luck!
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby windhorse » Sat May 27, 2006 4:19 am

Our band is planning on playing at the Dreamtime Festival in Peaonia CO during July - weekend of the 16th. Do you know the days he's coming, and when and where Gilles is teaching?

I looked at the website, and there is not a calendar. I am interested in lessons.

Dave in Boulder CO
windhorse

Postby trickyricky » Sat May 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Hey Dave,
I will be sitting in with Dusty Onyx at Dreamtime. Looking forward to meeting you. You going to the Rainbow Gathering?
Peace,
rick
Lose the ego...Play the music- Luther Allison
trickyricky

Postby trickyricky » Sat May 27, 2006 3:54 pm

Hello SVSRUMBERO. Welcome to the board. I am very interested. Any schedule yet?
Thanks
rick
Lose the ego...Play the music- Luther Allison
trickyricky

Postby SVSRUMBERO » Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 pm

Gilles will be here in town all of July. So far I have set something up for him on the weekend of the 15-16 here in Denver, so he is pretty open. If you are interested in setting something up in Boulder that first weekend of July, or after the 16th we can get something set up. Just keep me posted and give me an idea as far as how many days, and how many people and I can talk to him about numbers. SVS
SVS
SVSRUMBERO

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!