Teacher in Rochester NY - I found one

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby fed » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:05 pm

Just wanted to put this in here in case someone is searching. I am studying with Freddy Colon through CED department of Eastman School of music. Great guy, here is his little bio.

Same department also has Latin Jazz Workshop class with another great guy Jose Encarnacion, here is his little bio.

So if you are looking for ways to apply your Latin percussion chops with a band in "no pressure, I am still learning" mode, that would be a great place. I am planning on taking that one maybe in september.

Let me know if you need more info. I get no kick back from Eastman. :p
fed

Postby Sakuntu » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:14 am

Fed, I've only heard good things about Freddie Colon. Whats the cost to go thru eastman? I'm wondering if its cheaper than just taking private lessons.

-Sakuntu
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby fed » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:57 pm

There are rates on the bottom of following link:
http://www.esm.rochester.edu/community/lessons/

Freddies rates are intern rates. I took 3/4 hour so it's $495 for 17 weeks/lessons works out about $30 a lesson. I like that it's commitment and not just lesson by lesson kind of thing. I want to do it in September again. Let me know if you are interested, maybe we can do buddy lessons, it's cheaper and I think might be more fun if our level is close.
Hope this helps.
fed

Postby Sakuntu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 am

Fed, thanks for the info. I read in one of your posts that you are thinking about purchasing some American handmade congas-Moperc, JCR, isla and the like. I'm currently shopping around myself. (not much good product in rochester though)Have you ever played any of these drums? -also-how are those mule skins working for you? I wanna get some!
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby fed » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:26 pm

I haven't played any of those high end drums. I doubt I'll ever get any. Way too much money IMHO. Freddy's uncle is a conga player in Mambo Kings and he is playing LP performer series, seems good enough for him. I have to say though that wood does seem to make a difference, at least to my ear. I bought these weird old Meinl congas, still kicking myself, worst $300 I ever spent, but as weird as they are they got this heavy solid wood and the tones are so clear and nice on them, to my ears anyway. I hate these drums, but they sound kind of good actualy, go figure. Definetly better then my Aspires, mule or no mule. Mule skins are cool though, very good feel to them.
Hope this helps.
fed

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!