Jorge Alabe in San Antonio TX - Workshop from May 6-11

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Jongo » Tue May 09, 2006 3:27 pm

I know this is a really late notice but I just found out myself. Jorge Alabe will be giving a series of classes on Afro-Brasilian and Samba percussion. Rosangela Silvestre will be giving some dance classes on Samba on traditional Afro-Brasilian dances. The classes are at the Carver Community Cultural Center on Hackberry St. but the last time I checked they did not have any info on their website.
Jongo

Postby tamboricua » Tue May 16, 2006 6:53 pm

Jongo wrote:I know this is a really late notice but I just found out myself. Jorge Alabe will be giving a series of classes on Afro-Brasilian and Samba percussion. Rosangela Silvestre will be giving some dance classes on Samba on traditional Afro-Brasilian dances. The classes are at the Carver Community Cultural Center on Hackberry St. but the last time I checked they did not have any info on their website.

Hi Jongo,

Hope all is well! Did you attend this workshops?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Jongo » Wed May 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Hey Jorge, I did attend the workshop. I even went to the dance classes to observe and listen. At the second dance class Jorge Alabe asked me to help him so I got to play with him for the dancers. That was really cool, all I did was play clave, 6/8 bell, and a little on conga but it was still pretty cool.
In the workshops we did samba the first day, it was really good Rio style samba and that was fun. The following class we did more Afro-Brasilian, Maracatu, Ijexa. We played for Oxun and Jorge had us singing. I am not a singer, but I sang my heart out that day.
We also did some Samba Reggae and that was fun too. I wish I had found out sooner, I would have tried to pass the info along to you much quicker.
One more thing, I was in San Francisco and saw Gamo Da Paz. I had met Gamo here in SA so I emailed him ahead of time and I met up with at a class he was giving in the Mission District. He is a great guy and a really good teacher.
Jongo

Postby tamboricua » Wed May 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Jongo wrote:Hey Jorge, I did attend the workshop. I even went to the dance classes to observe and listen. At the second dance class Jorge Alabe asked me to help him so I got to play with him for the dancers. That was really cool, all I did was play clave, 6/8 bell, and a little on conga but it was still pretty cool.
In the workshops we did samba the first day, it was really good Rio style samba and that was fun. The following class we did more Afro-Brasilian, Maracatu, Ijexa. We played for Oxun and Jorge had us singing. I am not a singer, but I sang my heart out that day.
We also did some Samba Reggae and that was fun too. I wish I had found out sooner, I would have tried to pass the info along to you much quicker.
One more thing, I was in San Francisco and saw Gamo Da Paz. I had met Gamo here in SA so I emailed him ahead of time and I met up with at a class he was giving in the Mission District. He is a great guy and a really good teacher.

Hi Jongo,

Very cool, sounds like lots of fun! Drum, dance, and singing it's all interrelated. I suggest next time to take the dance classes too. I wasn't able to attend anyway on those days. I was out of town on some touring duties, but hopefully next time.

I think I'm familiar with the place you mention in SF. It's a dance studio on the Mission District area where Susana Arenas also teach Afrocuban dance classes. Last year when I visited Michael Spiro he took me over there where he was accompanying Arena's classes along with some of his buddies Colin Douglas, and Matt Lucas. I remember seeing Gamo's class flyers around.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Jongo » Wed May 17, 2006 6:44 pm

Yeah, dance, drum and voice are definitely all related. The last time Rosangela and Gamo were here I took Rosangela's Orixas dance class at Gamo's urging. It was a little bit of a struggle but I think I did well. I think as a drummer, when you do a dance class it helps you to understand why you play a piece a certain way sometimes and the way that you have to "mark" for the dancers and just the relationship overall between the drummers and the dancers. It was an eye opening experience for me and a lot of fun. Rosangela Silvestre is an excellent dance instructor, and of course she is also a drummer and a great thing about her is that if you are not playing something correctly she will let you know. So if you are going to drum in her class you had better be on it!
Jongo

Postby tamboricua » Wed May 17, 2006 7:27 pm

Jongo wrote:I think as a drummer, when you do a dance class it helps you to understand why you play a piece a certain way sometimes and the way that you have to "mark" for the dancers and just the relationship overall between the drummers and the dancers.

Right on!

Best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby ozrivera » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:24 am

Jongo
ill be interested in any events/clinics/etc happening in the San Antonio area since i live in corpus. i have been playing for a while but i am still a student of the game. i dont get much of a chance to play with other congueros all that much down here so anything that comes by will be welcomed. heres my e-mail address ozzie.rivera@esc2.us

thanks
oz
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby Jongo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:15 pm

I have not heard of much going on in SA recently. I don't know if the Carver Center will be bringing Jorge back in the fall but I hope so. I will keep my eyes open and try to get the word out. It's sad but when these events do take place sometimes the promotion is lacking and so of course they don't get as big of a crowd as they would like.
Oz if you are up in SA from Corpus Henry Brun is really good and actually I think he will be going down to Corpus to play in a festival down there. Check him out.
One last thing, Gamo Da Paz will be doing some workshops out in San Francisco, some Candomble, and Samba Reggae stuff. He is a really good teacher and a great guy so if you are out in that area check him out. You won't regret it, he is the real deal!
Jongo

Postby tamboricua » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Guys,

Also remember P.A.S.I.C. 2006 will be held in Austin, Texas this year. The convention runs from November 8-12. Several world percussion artists are scheduled to present this year including: Francisco Aguabella, Jesus Diaz, Airto, Tiki Pasillas, Victor Rendon, and many others. You can check all confirmed artists at:

PASIC 2006 Confirmed Artists

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!