teacher in Germany or any workshop?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby kerabe » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:14 pm

Do you know about any good teacher in Germany who teaches Afro-Cuban instruments or about any good summer workshop in Germany, Netherlands or France?I'm from Czech Republic and I play congas and timbales.
Kerabe
kerabe

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:12 pm

Hello Kerabe...goto Lessons4you.com and type in your country . Their just might be someone their. I know there are many players now in Germany,it shouldn't be too hard to find, unless they live very far from you. Happy Holidays.. ;) JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby turtt » Mon May 24, 2004 12:50 pm

hI Kerabe
I am living in poland and I know two goog teachers , if You still need .one of them is living in warshaw ,second one in the south of poland near katowice.
I can give You contact.
andre
turtt

Postby congastu » Mon May 24, 2004 5:10 pm

Dudu Tucci in germany is an amazing teacher across a range of styles. Also, Birgir Sulsbruck in the Netherlands does alot of masterclasses.
congastu

Postby kerabe » Tue May 25, 2004 4:20 pm

Thank you, now I don't need it anymore, because I've found some Cubano here in Prague. But please give me your contacts - this man will probably move to Miami soon and so maybe I would use it. Thank you one more time...Kerabe
kerabe

Postby Salseroberlinense » Mon May 01, 2006 8:20 pm

In Berlin there are the percussion art center and groove where you find all sorts of percussion teachers, some of them also give workshops.
Salseroberlinense

Postby Betty » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:05 am

Hi Kerabe!

I´m also looking for workshops in France

Did you get any informations about that right now?

Thanks, :)

Edited By Betty on 1162360356
Betty

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:09 pm

There is a German percussionist who came out with one of the very first How to Play conga videos...but I don't remember his name....he is very popular player and knows his stuff....the cover of his video has a shot of all kinds of perc. instruments on it...anybody know this guy? I just can't remember his name..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby troels » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 pm

congastu wrote:Dudu Tucci in germany is an amazing teacher across a range of styles. Also, Birgir Sulsbruck in the Netherlands does alot of masterclasses.

Birger Sulsbrück is Danish, happily living in Copenhagen. Great guy!

Troels
troels

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:31 pm

Yes, own a book written by birger sulsbrück, very informative!
Also Hakim Ludin in Karlsruhe or Stuttgart (can't remeber exactly were he currently lives) is a great percussionist and nice person too, always willing to help!
Thomas

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks guys ....I was thinking of Birgir, and thought he lived in Germany.....close but no winner...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:49 pm

Group:

I feel free to let you know that I am teaching congas, as well as basic bongos and timbales in Hamburg, Germany. Then, should you prefer to have lessons with an Afro-Cuban master, Arturo Martinez Cabrera (formerly of Clave y Guaguancó) is also in town quite often. One of my most successful students, Corinna Ludzuweit, has been working with many national and international Pop and Funk acts, including Maceo Parker (although she got her Pop percussion skills from other teachers). She's teaching at the "Hamburg School of Music". Also, Trilok Gurtu is living in Hamburg, as is Marcio Doctor from Argentine, another truly personal percussive voice.

Dudu Tucci is from Brazil, and that's where his forte is. As a conga player, he has incorporated other styles, and he is very forceful and inspired. He is living in Berlin. Another man in Berlin whom I can recommend is Ottmar Köhler. Also, there is a young guy by the name of Robby, who has had extensive lessons with Changuito, but I never heard him play.

In Köln (Cologne) we have Andreas "Molino" Müller, who has studied, and played, with Pancho Quinto and Milian Gali among others, and has recorded a nice CD called "Yeye Olude" with a personnel half Cuban, half German. Also in this area lives Roland Peil, who plays with several top orchestras in the country.

In Munich there is a "Latin Percussion School" directed by Cesar Granados out of the Conexion Latina circle (a better known Salsa band in Munich). I think, the Brazilian percussionist Gilson de Assis belongs to the staff (he is great).

The only music academy that offers a legitimate education and final degree for Latin percussion in Germany, is in Mannheim. The branch is headed by José Cortijo (from Spain). There is a percussion newsletter published by a non-profit organization called "Percussion Creativ", and notoriously José Cortijo and Hakim Ludin are the most boosted national percussion artists in this magazine. I never heard Hakim Ludin play; all I can say is, I have seen his conga method and I wasn't really impressed. But I'm sure he must have something, otherwise you wouldn't be recognized. I admire the precision and reliability of José, and he is doing a lot for the German percussion scene.

All I dare to say is, everybody has his weak spots, but by any means I wouldn't trade my own flaws for anyone else's, period.

Near Mannheim lies Darmstadt, and there we have Ralf Moufang, a somewhat cool or (superficially seen) dry person, but here's one player (and teacher) I like. In the early nineties he invited me to conduct a quinto workshop at his school, which was really an honor for me, because I feel he's doing quite a few things that I cannot do.

Most people who want to study Latin percussion regularly at a music academy turn to Rotterdam in Holland. One of the founding teachers there was Martin Verdonk, but I don't know how much he is still involved. Then there is Bart Fermie, Lucas van Merwijk, and Nils Fischer (from Germany). I like the way Nils plays very much.

Also in Holland lives Arndt Beckmann from Hamburg, who studied in Rotterdam (and before with me). Years later, I heard a conga solo that he played which he put on his website, and I must say, I will probably never be able to play like that!

That's but a short overlook of the German (and European) percussion (and -teaching) scene from someone who has been active in the same for more than 25 years.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Thomas » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 am

Hi Thomas,
thanks for the nice summary of the german "scene"!
When I met Hakim for the first time, he told me that he knows that he will never be able to play congas like giovanni, changuito, mongo, etc., but that's only natural, cause he comes from another culture, he was born and raised in Afghanistan and has spent a lot of time in India, where other instruments are more popular (giovanni & co are born with congas :;): ).
As a multi-percussionist (and I count hakim as one), you'll always meet people, which are better on some specific instruments, 'cause they've spent many years on one instrument, while you've learned to play many instruments on a high level to make a living.
You have to hear him play Kanjira, Frame Drum or small percussions, really smokin'!
All the best,
Tom!

Edited By Thomas on 1162718478
Thomas

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:06 pm

Thomas wrote:When I met Hakim for the first time, he told me that he knows that he will never be able to play congas like giovanni, changuito, mongo, etc.,

Who would or even wanted to play like any of them? No one could, and nobody should even try, because these people are just best at being themselves!

Hi Tom,

I was trying to explain that I would not put down anybody I haven't even heard playing. Maybe it sounded like that, and I have to apologize for it; however, I am not free of emotions, and I admit that in general, the eternal and ubiquitous lopsidedness in promotion goes on my nerves, especially if all I ever see of Hakim is his picture with this cap on.

... but that's only natural, cause he comes from another culture, he was born and raised in Afghanistan and has spent a lot of time in India, where other instruments are more popular (giovanni & co are born with congas :;): ).

But what then should Germans and Austrians play effectively? Landsknechtstrommel?

As a multi-percussionist (and I count hakim as one), you'll always meet people, which are better on some specific instruments, 'cause they've spent many years on one instrument, while you've learned to play many instruments on a high level to make a living.

Do you mean me, personally? No. I have some special instruments that I am trying to play in an acceptable way. Like everybody else, I had to put some things aside that I even love to listen to; instruments as well as certain musical styles.
You speak German, so as a proof to my consent with you, I invite you to read the article Was ist Percussion? on my website.

You have to hear him play Kanjira, Frame Drum or small percussions, really smokin'!

I'm sure, Tom! As I said, if you didn't have anything to offer at all, you would not be recognized.
On the other hand, what would you say if I wrote a darabukka method?

I hope I will hear or meet Hakim one day. Perhaps I'll get a more objective or even friendly perspective of this musician.

Greetings,

Thomas

Edited By Thomas Altmann on 1162761690
Thomas Altmann

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!