Manchester Northwest UK

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Congadelica » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Anyone help me find a teacher in the NW area Uk

CD
Congadelica

Postby congastu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:31 pm

hi congadelica

There are SO many percussionists in manchester alone, never mind the northwest.

It depends a little bit what styles you want to explore-

both andy boothman and chris weaver are serious rumba heads, they also organise trips to Cuba, check out www.latimbala.

Chris cruiks and lea mullins both do a lot of work in the pop scene, theyve just done a percussion album featuring Luis Conte amongst other- on account of the fact they are all meinl endorsees. You can get hold of Lea through Johnny roadhouse in manc.

There are free workshops in oldham with its branch of the Meninos do morumbi orchestra, taught by eraldo, leaon patel and holly prest; all fantastic percussionists. It features the timbau [brazilian style conga] very heavily. In fact Oldham drum festival has just finished- Airto Moriera, Alex Acuna, Sergio Krawkowski, Trilok Gurtu and my own youth orchestra BeatLife [www.beatlife.co.uk] from Liverpool all played- what an honour! Itll be back on next march, check out www.visitoldham and go to events.

Other guys include Chris Mannis, Hugh Lawrence, the fantastic timbalero Rik "macaco"Weedin, Charles Ashby. You can catch any line up of these guys at the Lain Jazz night at Lamarrs, Hilton St manchester on wednesday evenings.

hope thia helps and keep on going bro

congastu
congastu

Postby congastu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Oh yeah, i also play congas at lamarrs once in a while, but theres no point coming to liverpool when theres so many heads in manchester.

Thats due in part to Inner Sense, a bunch of lads who started out busking outside marks and sparks in manc in the early 80s and went on to tour the world setting up percussion groups across Uk, Europe and even the far East! Snowboy is on record as saying they were the best bateria outside rio, and a lot of the above guys went through the Inner sense ranks at one time or another, but theres a whole host of others still living and beating skins in manchester to this day!
congastu

Postby Congadelica » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:18 pm

Seeing as I am located in wigan Im kinda in between liverpool and manc Ill check out what youve mentioned , thnks for you reply

cd
Congadelica

Postby congastu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 pm

well, interestingly enough there IS very good percussionist based in wigan, he runs a maracatu community drum group in Wigan itself... i cant remember their or his details though

If your only in wigan, theres quite a few latin jazz nights in Liverpool. On sundays, i play with a group at the Grapes on the corner of Roscoe st and knight St, 9pm till 12ish. To be honest, i dont get down every wk, cos ive done it for the last four years so some of the other lads are doing it more but ill be on it this sunday.

I dont really do lessons myself cos a lot of my time is taken up in schools teaching nowadays, which i love but is tiring.

A mate of mine plays with the same outfit at heebies on monday, he is an Amazing percussionist, really nice fella and has a studio in bootle where he does give conga lessons, time allowing.

Theres quite a few otheers besides- roger morris who runs Liverpool samba school gives lessons as does gafro who runs Lark lane drummers on tues at the old police station on lark lane. They are both excellent hand drummers. Pm me if you want their phone numbers.
congastu

Postby Congadelica » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Thanks Congastu, I met up with Chris Perry the guy who runs the maracatu drum group . It turns out Chris only lives 400 yrds from me and seems a really nice guy very enthusiastic , I went along to the maracatu practice nite and must say they were really good .

http://www.anvilstreetdrummers.co.uk/index_files/Page813.htm

Im booked in for my first lesson 2/3 hrs sessions is what chris has recomended to me, 5 lessons in total should get me upto speed with tecnique and basic samba ,rumba ,afro beats. he studied with a Brazilian conga master (forgot his name) so thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

CD

Edited By Congadelica on 1175181582
Congadelica

Postby Congadelica » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Well People. I had my first lesson .I know what everyone means about technique being the No 1 way to go. My open tone is sounding sweet and slaps on right and left crisp and precise . I had a 3 .5 hour lesson wit a 30 min warm down which was basically heel fingers and a few warm bass tones . I have been practicing my grooves all day , I find it hard to type ATM and me wife is close to the looney bin , but uts all good.
Chris my teacher was taught by a Brazilian in UK and Germany Doo doo or dee dee was his name.
I have learned samba and runba Bion . and a little freestyling just left me feeling pretty good with myself .
When i have practice a little more Ill update my U Tube vids .
watch this space :D :O :p

If any of you people out there need Chris `s phone number PM me . He is a full time drum teacher at local school and all round good guy to know .

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guy from liverpool congastu ???

CD

Edited By Congadelica on 1176406624
Congadelica

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:11 pm

Hello CD,

you probably mean Dudu Tucci from Berlin. He has a friend in the UK.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Congadelica » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:28 pm

Thats the guy , sorry for my ignorance ,but after my nearly 4 hr lesson my head was a shed :D

Is Dudu yuor friend also . small world aint it .

CD
Congadelica

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:45 pm

CD:

Well, "friend" would be exaggerated; but I know him, I heard him play, I went to one of his clinics, and my girlfriend had attended his course of classes. And he bought 3 of my books at one time, also for his friend in England. I respect him for what he does, but I am following another road.

TA

Edited By Thomas Altmann on 1176939996
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:03 pm

Congadelica ...Do u know David Pattman? the bongo/timbale player with Snowboy?.....He's a an ol friend of mine and a very knowledgable cat ....u should seek him out..he's the "real deal"..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Congadelica » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:17 pm

JC is David in the north of UK . I thought he was around London area , Ive only heard of him on this forum , I intend to have lessons with many different Congueros ,kinda broaden my knowledge . I just ordered the Tomasito Cruz DVD`s looking forward to them .

Cd
Congadelica

Postby Congadelica » Mon May 07, 2007 7:00 pm

well . the latest is Ive found a great teacher, Tomas Cruz. This guy is good to have around from time to time , unlike any other teacher he can be switched on DVD :D , Id just like to rehiterate what everyone seems to say about this DVD I have No 1 and No 2 not even bothered but a look at DVD2 im finding my tecknique has improved no end after just a week (many hours)....I now find after playing with the DVD when i loosen up and do a little freestyle , at the end of my session, that the sounds get better i feel a little wooden ATM with asimilation .

Again thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction , a little more practice and I may seek out Dave pittman :cool:

CD
Congadelica

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!