Conga Teacher in Melbourne,Aussie? - Anyone teaches in Melbourne area?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Ketipung » Mon May 14, 2007 5:10 am

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I found all the information very informative. :) Very very happy as beginner. And thanks to all.

I'm looking for any conga teacher in Melbourne, Australia. Could anyone recommend? I tried to look for this infos but couldn't find it. Maybe its alot easier to post it again. Sorry guys.

Thanks
Ketipung

Postby pavloconga » Mon May 14, 2007 9:15 am

Hi,
The best conga teachers that I know of in Melbourne are - Ray Periera, Alex Pertout, Javier Fredes. I'm sure there are others, go to one of the bigger salsa gigs and see if you can talk to the conga player. I have heard there is a very good new player from Cuba in Melbourne but I dont know his name, but he plays in salsa bands.

Google their names, I know that Alex and Ray P have websites through which you can contact them.
cheers
Pavlo

If you're ever in Adelaide, S Aust. PM me we can organise a lesson.

P.S. If you hook up with Ray, say 'Hi' to him from me. He was my teacher for about 5 years and really knows his stuff.
pavloconga

Postby ABAKUA » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forums. :)

Im not sure if Javier Fredes still offers to teach, due to personal and religious beliefs...
You can always find out though. Javier is a very very good player and teacher from my understanding. He would study 6 months at a time with Changuito in Cuba, then return and head back 6 months later etc...

There is also another Javier, known as 'Harvey' formerly from the band RUMBEROS. There are several good players in the latin scene over there, as Pavlo said, just head to some of the latin gigs and check out the percussionists, if you see something you like ask them for lessons, if not see if they can refer you to a good teacher.
My old friend Pipo is in Melbourne, maybe you could look him up, he knows all the percussionists in Melb and could point you in the right direction.

If you are ever in Sydney feel free to look me up also.
My myspace page is in my signature.

Good luck!

Marcelo.

PS The Cuban percussionist Pavlo speaks of is PANGA (as seen in the DVD Pi-Mozambi-Son) former conguero for Paulito FG and Manolito amongst others. He is also a well versed teacher.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1179180045
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pavloconga » Wed May 16, 2007 1:03 am

By the way, another melb based percussionist you could look up is Allejandro Vega (you can see him on 'Dancing with the Stars' band on channel 7). Don't have his latest contact details but he was teaching from his home in St Kilda a few a years back.
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby Ketipung » Thu May 17, 2007 3:13 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations. All good. I actually have had few lesson from Michael Kontochristos and Salvador Persico (Blue King Brown percussionist). They are also very good teachers. Highly recommended if you are in melbourne.

I just looking for a class closer to my place. Ray Pereira might have one close to mine. I have tried to contact him but haven't got a reply yet.

I look up for you guys if I visit sydney or adelaide.

Cheers :D
Ketipung

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!