studing in cuba

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby zumbi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 pm

peace&bless!
i'd long be thinking about travelling to cuba and spend some time there trying to get as much information and knowledge as possible.
let's say you have one to three months for it what would be the best move?
official institutions (conservatory of habana, etc) or private tutition?
where? habana, santiago...?
i would love a 24/7 exposure in a traditional rumba enviroment with plenty time to listen, o0bserve, practice and dance.
are there still traditional masters like in west africa that you can move in with and get full immersion?
one love,
zumbi

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:35 pm

Zumbi where do u live?..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby zumbi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:39 pm

honor jc!
i am at my mother's in italy at present time, but i have business in jamaica and, by the grace of the Most High, i maybe there early next year: from there to cuba is not a big deal...
peace&bless!
zumbi

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Well u can find a "private" teacher in Cuba or u can attend La Escuela del Artes in Pinar del Rio...a company in Los Angeles called "PlazaCuba" has "learning" tours to Cuba and this school is part of it.....one of my students attended this school...She was in a class with about 20 30 people for up to 8 hours a day drumming 6 days a week....can u handle it?... :D ....or u can come to my home for a week for my "Conga Intensive"...I also teach what they teach at this school.... :D .."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby pcastag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:29 pm

If you go to cuba I would suggest staying with your teacher, there's a alot of great teachers there who will put you up for a nominal fee and teach you lessons. Great way to immerse yourself. I would suggest going to www.batadrums.com of www.afrocubaweb.com for more info on Cuba. I've ben twice and studied both times with Alberto Villareal who is the director of folkloric percussion for the Conjunto Nacional. Tremendous guy and great family. I personally would study in Havana or Matanzas.
Paolo Castagnoli
PC
pcastag

Postby Derbeno » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:56 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Well u can find a "private" teacher in Cuba or u can attend La Escuela del Artes in Pinar del Rio...a company in Los Angeles called "PlazaCuba" has "learning" tours to Cuba and this school is part of it.....one of my students attended this school...She was in a class with about 20 30 people for up to 8 hours a day drumming 6 days a week....can u handle it?... :D ....or u can come to my home for a week for my "Conga Intensive"...I also teach what they teach at this school.... :D .."JC" Johnny Conga....

Only if you mix great Mojitos and supply the finest cigars and not to mention the extra curriculum (wink wink) activities JC :D

On a more serious note.... thanks for the plazaCuba info, their Website is quite informative. Now I know I was not dreaming when going through Miami airport I thought I saw a flight to Havana on the screen.

Edited By Derbeno on 1184115633
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:28 am

They have "private charters" out of Miami 3 times a week....go thru Barbados to Cuba...there is even now a "Cuban Cruise ship" that actually now goes to the Bahamas and back to Havana...from what I heard..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby korman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:56 am

I think if you can devote two or three months to Cuba, then you should definitely go round the island. Say, immerse yourself in rumba in Havana or Matanzas for a month, but then go to Pinar del Rio and then drive all the way down to Baracoa! Oriente is not to be missed! While it's not so rumba oriented (bongo traditions of son and changui are stronger there, as well as conga, the carnival music, not the instrument), it's very different from Havana and very interesting. Last summer I stayed in Santiago and studied with a teacher, it was very good for my bongo technique.
korman

Postby zumbi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:04 pm

thanks everybody in the family for the input.
jc, thanks for the offer: it would be definetly a blessing to partake of your vast knowledge of the tumbadoras.
if and when i will happen to be in your area i will give you a link, God willlling.
and yes i think i can handle 8 hours of drumming a day: actually that's the kind of experience i am looking for.
one love
zumbi

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!