Conga Instructor in SF bay area - Looking for a good instructor... do you know one?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby benbaboon » Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:53 am

looking for a good advanced conga drumming instructor in SF Bay area.... do you know anyone?
benbaboon

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:52 pm

Hi benbaboon, hope all is well!
I would like to recommend Michael Spiro.
Check out his web site at:

http://members.aol.com/mspirobata/

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:19 am

Thanks Jorge!

Although I didn't post this question, I took your advice. :)

As it turns out, Spiro lives only 15 min from my place. :D

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:27 pm

Hi CongaCaja, hope all is well! You are very lucky to have that "walking encyclopedia" so close to you. Send Michael Spiro my regards!

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:15 am

Just a follow up for anyone else in the SF bay area who might be looking for a teacher...

As you can see from my previous note, I started taking lessons from Mike Spiro. So far, I've only had a couple of lessons, but I'm finding it totally worth it. Spiro's knowledge about technique and musicology (afro-cuban) is excellent, his temperment is to my liking and he's flexible in regards to scheduling lesson on a as-needed basis.

All-in-all it was a good decision. :D

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on April 16 2003 at 06:22
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:30 pm

Hi CongaCaja, hope all is well! I'm glad that you hooked up with Michael Spiro, and that you are getting something from the lessons. By the way, check out Mark Levine's latest "Isla" with Spiro on percussion. Excellent stuff!

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:56 am

Hello again Jorge

Thanks for the CD recommendation.

Actually, I had the great opportunity to catch Mark Levine & Latin Tinge at Yoshi's (in Oakland) just a few weeks ago. Fortunately, I arrived early, got a front row seat and then picked up both the Isla and Serengeti CD's after the show.

That was my first opportunity to see Spiro play live and it was excellent. Makes one want to go home and practice. :D

Mike's off in Cuba at the moment so I have extra time to practice. He's got me listening to Los Munequitos CD's...so, I have plenty to work on.

Good chatting with you and I'll be sure to give Mike your regards.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Seb » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:59 am

I study with Mr.Spiro and it's the best , he has improved my playing about 50% and he has a great personality , and just a good guy
Seb

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:44 am

Hi Seb,

So, you study with Spiro also? I agree with your "good guy" comment. How long have you been studying with him?

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Seb » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:08 am

Yea! I been studying with Mike since the start of the new year! He is a great conga player but he is also one #### of a Bata drum player, Man! I have heard hi on some of John Santos early stuff and Mike is the bomb, Get his album "Bata ketu" it's great also try out his Talking Drum vid. that is also great , and we are very lucky to have Mr. Spiro living so close to us , he realy is a wealth of info and he just loves to teach thanks for letting me go on your friend sebastian
Seb

Postby CUBOP IN CALI » Thu May 22, 2003 9:54 pm

I live in the San Francisco Bay area , I'm basically a beginner and was wondering were Mr. Spiro teaches ? and what levels does he teach and what lesson's cost.Would like any info if he doesnt teach beginners were might I might find one.

Thanks
Cubop
CUBOP IN CALI

Postby TresGolpes » Fri May 23, 2003 12:02 am

Michael Spiro appears in Drum Jam, one of the best CDs in my list of Top 10 CDs of all time:

http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/18394.10?ZMfKyEmk;;12
TresGolpes

Postby , » Fri May 23, 2003 1:06 am

Hola Cubop

Postby CongaCaja » Fri May 23, 2003 1:25 am

Hola Cubop,

Spiro has taught many places in the SF bay area (oakland jazz school, berkeley, etc.) but I think he doing most lessons from his house in San Bruno these days (at least thats where my lessons are).

As far as taking beginner students, I believe that he will. Actually, I am quite a novice on congas (playing less than a year), but on the other hand my musical background is fairly extensive (many years of kit drumming, big time drum corps, bachelors in music theory & masters in music composition). I don't know if that had any bearing on taking me or not and perhaps your background is extensive as well. In any case, my guess is that he'll take you, if he has the time in his schedule.

Lessons aren't cheap. I don't want to give you a quote because that's his business, but I'd be prepared to pay something in $100 range (could be more, could be less). The good thing is that you can take lessons at your own pace : once a week, twice a month, once a month...whatever. Basically, you call him when you are ready for another lesson (it's best to call him at least a week in advance).

I think he's great teacher. If what I've told you seems reasonable then I would suggest contacting Spiro.
mspirobata@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mspirobata/

Otherwise, there's a new member to this board that is teaching in Berkeley. I don't know anything about him, but he's got a web site as well so that give some info.

qualitydag@earthlink.net
http://afrocubanchops.com/

best of luck...

chris

Edited By CongaCaja on May 23 2003 at 05:30
CongaCaja

Postby TresGolpes » Fri May 23, 2003 10:40 pm

By the way, Spiro and Lazaro Lagarraga will be teaching on the yearly Afro-Cuban get together in Hippie Land (Humboldt in Northern California.

Here are the details:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~extended/afrocuban/
TresGolpes

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!