Conga Instructor in SF bay area - Looking for a good instructor... do you know one?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby CUBOP IN CALI » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:46 am

In Berkeley at La Peña Cultural Center I found free beginner lesson's (Beginning Latin Percussion) given by Dave Frazier and Josh Jones I have had 2 lesson's so far and have learned a lot .I have not met Josh yet, But Dave is fantastic he knows so much about the history and rhythms it is so awesome to have somebody teach you that loves what they do. I'm excited ,he has showed me some proper hand techniques and some basic rhythms to practice .It's hard undoing bad habits but worth it.Looking forward to more
Just wanted share this with anybody in the S.F. bay that may be intrested.

Cubop :D

Edited By CUBOP IN CALI on July 27 2003 at 02:47
CUBOP IN CALI

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:20 am

Thanks for the tip, Cubop. I'm not familiar with the La Pena center but I must admit that I don't get over to Berkeley often. Are those group lessons that take place on a regular schedule or how does it work?

I was attending some classes at the Mission Cultural Center in SF during last winter. Although it was a good experience, the classes were too large for me to get the detailed technique instruction that I needed at the time.

Since studying with Spiro, both my technique and knowledge of rumba have improved greatly (though there's much more for me to learn). Now, I feel more confident and may return to the centers.

btw, I like the social aspects and drum circles of the cultural centers... the circles are more organized and coherent then what I've seen in Golden Gate Park's drum circles (which seem chaotic to me)

Best of luck over there in Berkeley....

chris

Edited By CongaCaja on July 31 2003 at 04:21
CongaCaja

Postby CUBOP IN CALI » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:38 pm

Well the class last about 2 hours and it goes till the end of August it's every tuesday nite. So far the class size has averaged about 6 people. They have other types of classes here is the link check it out.
http://www.lapena.org/Classes/classTOC.html
Some of the teachers are from the Jazzschool Berkeley.
I plan on taking other classes later , it's nice that they offer these classes in the community for free or for a small charge .
As I improve I will try to get more Advanced teaching.

Cubop
CUBOP IN CALI

Postby BCongero » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 pm

That's great!!! I'm glad that there are some people on here that are studying with Michael. I've had 2 lessons per year for the last 3-4 years. He has come out to my school to do clinics with Lab Bands & Salsa Combo and to teach private lessons. I will begin to take trips out to study with him very soon.

Peace,

Brenden
No cruzado!
BCongero

Postby fireman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:52 pm

benbaboon wrote:looking for a good advanced conga drumming instructor in SF Bay area.... do you know anyone?

You will find professional teachers at La Pena Cultural center at Berkley california.
Joseph M. Guttmann
fireman

Postby fireman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 pm

CUBOP IN CALI wrote:I live in the San Francisco Bay area , I'm basically a beginner and was wondering were Mr. Spiro teaches ? and what levels does he teach and what lesson's cost.Would like any info if he doesnt teach beginners were might I might find one.

Thanks
Cubop

Michael Spiro lives in south san francisco, you can get in touch with him at La Pena Cultural center in Berkley. He is a very experenced teacher,Congas,Tibal, Bata,bongo,and percusson.
Joseph M. Guttmann
fireman

Postby fireman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Michael Spiro lives in south san francisco, you can get in touch with him at La Pena Cultural center in Berkley calif. He is a very experenced teacher,Congas, timbal, Bata, Bongo, and percusson.
Joseph M. Guttmann
fireman

Postby ralph » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:54 pm

benbaboon wrote:looking for a good advanced conga drumming instructor in SF Bay area.... do you know anyone?

who isn't in the SF bay area, there Spiro, which previously stated will cost you...
then you have Flaco, who has his own website with links to other teachers/players..www.flaco.net

Sandy Perez i think is in the bay
Jesus Diaz, i think is in the bay

Felipe Garcia Villamil, but i think he may be in LA, and not in the bay, i mention him because who knows he might have moved up...

Ralph
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:42 pm

I heard that Michael Spiro charges over a 100 dollars a lesson which tells me He doesn't like to teach..that's why he charges so much, so not to be bothered, which is what some guys do...Giovanni charges 60 bucks for an hour...but to nail him down for one is another story....I am giving lessons online for those who have a webcam and mic with their PC..just email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com to set up ur first FREE lesson.....Peace..."JC" Johnny Conga...I have attached some of what I teach..My NEW method is the method taught in Cuba at the "Escuela del Artes" in Pinar del Rio-Cuba..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... method.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 am

IT LOOKS HOT MAN!!! IS IT READY FOR SALE?
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:16 am

BTW..Michael is a very good teacher/player .His recording Bata/Ketu is one of the Best all round Afro-Caribbean/Brasilian recordings EVER!.......I don't want anybody to get the wrong impression of what I said, It's what I heard.....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby neftali.rosado » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:03 am

Hi,

Guys Im looking for an instructor in the city of Oakland that I could have focus on Bongo with me as will as some Timbal & Conga. But my main focus @ this time is Bongo please let me know if someone comes to mind.

OPEN FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

Thanks,
Neftali
neftali.rosado

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:34 pm

For lessons in Oakland, you might check into either John Santos, Sandy Perez, or Jesus Diaz. I *think* they all live on the east side of the bay.

Spiro lives in San Bruno which would *not* be very convenient from Oakland.

Here's some links for contact:

http://www.johnsantos.com/index.html

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/sandy.htm

http://www.bombomusic.com/html/artists.html

http://www.michaelspiro.com/

Anyway, those are some of the bigger names in the area. There are others.

For example, I've seen Javier Navarrette play with various ensembles in the area (including Jesus' group). It seems he does some instruction at the LA PEÑA cultural center in Berkeley.

http://www.lapena.org/Classes/classTOC.html

Btw, it is my opinion is that Spiro does like to teach. His prices are high and he doesn't apoligize for that. He simply believes in the value of his knowledge. Of course, if students (or potential students) don't believe in the value his experience, skills and knowledge, then he'd have a choice to make re: his rates.

Generally, I think a teacher's rates are not a direct indication of their enjoyment of teaching. I've had teachers which much lower rates (justifiably so) and they didn't seem to enjoy teaching at all (and neither were they very good at teaching).

saludos y suerte con todo

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1138904532
CongaCaja

Postby congalero » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:38 pm

hey all,

mingo lewis is back in the bay area and is giving lessons in the east bay.

academyofrhythm@hotmail.com

also the best deal going is a weekly session on saturdays in the school yard on folsom street near 20th in san francisco's mission district; yes the school yard. carlos aldama perez teaches there for $15. each session. if you need to ask who he is, you can ask spiro - he has taught michael a few things; and michael is a very gifted and dedicated player and instructor.

(carlos of Conjunto Folklórico) san francisco is blessed

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/carlosaldama.htm

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/default.htm

Edited By congalero on 1175990304
congalero

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:08 pm

For bongos in the East Bay I would recommend Clifford, in Berkely

http://afrocubanchops.com/

For cheap conga lessons in San Francisco you can try Gary

Afro-Cuban conga drumming demystified, classes are specifically geared to beginning student levels. All instruments are provided.
Saturday Class times:
9:30-10:30am --Beginning level 1
( For all first-time students with little or no prior experience )
*Please call 415-759-5504 to reserve space in the 9:30am class.
10:30-11:30am --Beginning level 2
( For students attending 6 months or longer )
Drop-in cost is $20.00 per class.
Please call Gary Ceralde at 415-759-5504 or email at sambasian@yahoo.com for more info.
The Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California is located at
1840 Sutter Street (between Webster and Buchanan), San Francisco, CA 94115
415-567-5505
bongosnotbombs

PreviousNext

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!