Multiple Teachers - What Do You Think?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby afrocubarico » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:05 am

Hey folks,
I have a question for the members of this great forum. In learning to master the art of playing tumbadoras, what do you think if one seeks the instruction/guidance from more than one teacher? Say these individuals have extensive knowledge and experience, some are even pros in their fields but, all have different styles of playing.

Would you recommend this or would most of you prefer to get your instruction from one teacher only? Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby windhorse » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:40 pm

More teachers is better,,, but more time with each one is also better.
windhorse

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:55 pm

I have been Teaching for over 25 years, and unfortunately a lot of my "students" came to me after so-called "study" with others, only to have to be "re-taught", because they weren't taught the right way first, and especially here in Seattle, we IMHO have a few "charalatans" running around calling themselves teachers and their students have wound up with me, only to wind up angry at those same so called teachers, they went to before they found me. So u have to be absolutely sure of the teaching "methods" and what the Teacher can actually teach you.. . ask for References and talk to any "former" students before signing up with someone you don't really know, also remember because someone can play does not make them a teacher!. . .some of my students have been with me for more than 2 years and are still learning from me. . and most are now my friends also . . . the choice is still yours. . . . Check out my "Conga Camp" post and what I offer. . . . .Pearl Artist - Johnny Conga. . .
JohnnyConga

Postby Amber » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi,

if the teachers are qualified it can be good to hear a second opinion from time to time. Maybe one teacher is very strict with technique, the other with the correct playing of traditional rhythms and this way complement each other. What I find very useful is having private instruction and joining a percussion group with professional instruction both.

:p Amber
Amber

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:16 pm

I am taking classes from two teachers, one is a highly respected Cuban, Carlos Aldama, the other one is a student of Micheal Spiro's..

Anyways, I take classes form both as they have very different teaching styles, with Carlos I get a kind of authenticity and a chance to practice in a large group withh all the parts being played..

My other class is much smaller and I get the individual attention to my technique and other things that I can't get in the group setting. In this class there is time for more individual attention, even though the instructor is not of the same level as my other teacher is.

First, make sure your teacher's are legit and teaching what you want, then if there is something missing you can either get another teacher or change teachers altogether.

It's worth it to me because I can get 4-5 hours of instruction and playing for $35 between the two classes (one is $15 the other is $20).

The possible conflict is that many teachers teach the rhythms slightly different, a good teacher will tell you this.
bongosnotbombs

Postby afrocubarico » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:01 pm

I am so glad to see there are others here that are getting their instruction from more than one teacher. I just began studying privately with a very reputable conguero here in the Bronx and will also be studying Latin Percussion with the Jazzmobile organization where it will be more of a group setting instead of one-on-one.

In addition, I still study on my own some of the material that was taught to me by David "La Mole" Ortiz. So I'm pretty much adopting a little from each teacher and hopefully incorporating it into my own style. Thanks for the feedback guys!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Hey AfroCubarico. . I still have my "Jazzmobile" student card from 1972, we studied at IS 201 in Harlem. My Teachers were Ritchie "Pablo" Landrum(jimbe) and Charlie Persip(drums). . .do they still do it at IS 201?. . .Johnny Conga-Jazzmobile Alumni-Harlem NYC

Edited By JohnnyConga on 1196368354
JohnnyConga

Postby afrocubarico » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Hey J.C.,
That's awesome! I hear lots of great things about the Jazzmobile program and I know they've been around for a long time. They have a new location, the Wadleigh Secondary School for the Performing and Visual Arts right in the heart of Harlem on W. 114th Street. I'm a volunteer Big Brother so I enrolled my little brother in the percussion workshop as well.

The Latin Percussion teacher now is Roland Guerrero who has done and continues to do a lot of work as a sideman for many Latin Jazz/Jazz artists. He's currently performing on Sundays at Birdland with Chico O' Farrill's band. Charlie Persip is still there teaching the drumset. Really nice guy! I'm excited about it. They don't just teach patterns/technique but they also teach reading, theory, etc., etc..

afrocubarico

Edited By afrocubarico on 1196372405
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:15 pm

afrocubarico wrote:I am so glad to see there are others here that are getting their instruction from more than one teacher. I just began studying privately with a very reputable conguero here in the Bronx and will also be studying Latin Percussion with the Jazzmobile organization where it will be more of a group setting instead of one-on-one.

In addition, I still study on my own some of the material that was taught to me by David "La Mole" Ortiz. So I'm pretty much adopting a little from each teacher and hopefully incorporating it into my own style. Thanks for the feedback guys!

afrocubarico

Afrocubarico,

Who is teaching you in the Bronx?
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:41 pm

Wow Charlie Persip is still there??? amazing . .that might still be the same school with a New name on it. . .hey man for One dollar which is what we paid for the saturday classes is the best thing going.. Jazzmoble is the BEST!.. . ..Johnny Conga_Jazzmobile Alumni..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby afrocubarico » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:43 pm

ralph,
I just started taking private lessons with Milton Cardona who lives about 5 min. away from me. Milton's a great individual who is not only very knowledgable as a percussionist and recording artist but, he's also a very humble and generous person.

Yo J.C.,
My first workshop at Jazzmobile was great! I met so many different players and learned a few things right from the beginning. Roland is a really nice guy and seems to be very passionate with his teaching. This is a great program and more so, it's FREE! ($80 registration fee for adults)

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby tfunk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:09 pm

hey afrobcubarico,
Do you know if it's too late to sign up for that Jazzmobile workshop. It's right around the corner from my apartment, I really need some direction these days. What time did it start? I would love to join.

Peace,
tfunk
twm
tfunk

Postby afrocubarico » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:17 am

tfunk,
Registration for this semester period was on 11/17/07. The first day of class was this past Saturday, 12/1/07. I did see quite a few musicians registering at the last minute this past Saturday. I'll find out from the school if they will accept additional students at this time and will get back to you. Shoot me a PM here with your number or email address.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby afrocubarico » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 pm

tfunk,
I just called Jazzmobile and they said they're still accepting late registrations. You can register this upcoming Saturday and then start the class. Get there early around 10am so you can register and get evaluated. Their new location is the Wadleigh School for Performing Arts at 215 W. 114th St. Their number is 212-866-4900. Hope to see you there!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!