Congas lessons ?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Congadelica » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Congadelica

Postby No.2-1820 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:13 am

No.2-1820

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 am

Is that the instructor? ???

That person is far from being at a level where they should be teaching, let alone charging for it.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby TONE74 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:14 pm

I think that video was done as a joke. He is charging 8 dollars a day and I can see he's holding in his laugh at some parts. He also has the La Mole video from 98 so that means he's been playing for at least 9 yrs. He did have me laughing though. Is Pinga mosa and Palo alto real towns in PR? thats probably the give away.
TONE74

Re: Congas lessons ?

Postby ozrivera » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Saludos Hermanos

tone whats going on bro.

Hmmmm, i agree with Abukua.
palo alto is a real town in PR, pinga mosa is not.

take care

ozzie
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:56 am

Vaya Ozzie! I'm doing good bro, hope you are too.
I read your post on JC's conga camp. That was a rough start at the airport , I'm glad it worked out in the end.
About this video who knows now that I look at it again I can't call it.
I been at this one year now and sometimes I'm tempted to post a video to see how people would critique it. I though about having a section where beginners can post their videos and the experience could critique it and maybe give some advice. What do you guys think. First I have to grow the cojones to post mine though : )
TONE74

Postby Congadelica » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:09 am

Hi tone 74

We are at the same lenght of time regarding how long we both been at it so to speak :D
Anyhoo I share the same veiws I have done a few practice videos and upto now I have had a few members on here to veiw and give me some feedback .
This has proved to be a very posotive thing , also gives me chance to get genuine critique . Im sure if I was to post any video Id get mixed response . this could have a negativ affect . But yeah Im with you on this one i think its a way forward for people like you me and other newbies to air the ir vids and ask for feedback without having to go global on U Tube.

or if you like it would be interesting if you and I could maybe compare notes on each others progress. you send me your Ill send you mine , this would be interesting for the both of us.

We use the internet media but not to its fullest i fear .
Lets get it going maybe a moderator will read this and creat a section for people to post vids , with the veiw of recieving feedback albeit possotive or negative . Its all good to me . but it when it statrs to get personal that could spoil things

Paz

Marco
Congadelica

Postby windhorse » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm

People will say what they will say.. It's on the reciever's end whether it is taken personally or not.
It's good to realize the context in which you have learned, practiced, and produced your music. If you are white American who grew up without ANY Latin music or drumming background, started learning in your 40s like myself, and still hold down a daily work schedule... How can you become a great conguero? I just don't think it's possible.. But, if your goal is to get as good as you can while you're alive, then sharing vids can be valuable..
I just wish that if someone posts something like "I didn't like it", or "that didn't sound right",, then they'd say why... I mean comon people,, how does it help anyone when you send a kneejerk negative reaction without something the other might improve on. I suppose you could mean,, "well, you might as well give it up since you'll never sound good in a million years.." certainly that's sometimes the case.. You'd hope that if someone is really lousy or just plain a-rhythmic then they'd have the decency to keep the recordings to themselves and spare us the uncomfortable "monkey banging" :D :) Couldn't resist the term.
bUT, THE MOST VALUABLE PART OF THE IMPROVEMENT EQUATION IS PERSONAL CONTACT WITH GOOD MUSICIANS!
I still think that the best use of these contact boards, and internet usage is when we reach out and actually meet one another,, that's when the real sharing happens..
windhorse

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm

I hear you Windhorse. I too started late, early 30's and hold a full time job with a mortgage and kids to feed etc. etc. Its hard practicing with kids hanging on your neck but I manage to put in some time. I guess its up to the person to take things like that into consideration when taking in the criticism.
Congadelica how do you share your videos without posting them on a public site?
It would also be nice if it could be posted directly on this site instead of having to go on youtube. Peace
TONE74

Postby Congadelica » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Tone74,Windhorse.
Im in your club Ill be 44 this year started 12months ago on this journey , I intend to get a good as I possibly can while Im alive too . :D
I am honest enough with myself that I will never be a top Conguero .
Im just a guy who found a very nice place and got hooked into somthing via this meia we call the web .
But I feel blessed to have been lucky enough to be learning this beautiful Instument .
I honestly do feel from the few Video s I have done that each coment /critique has been taken and understood.

I think the world we live in has a mixed bag of folks culture conditioning . alll these factors make it a fun place to be .
While some people might aspire to be the next Gio or Anga .Im happy trying to avoid being a MONKEY BANGER :shock: .
TONE74 If you upload a video to You Tube it dont have to be for the whole world to see , when you set it up you can choose an option for private veiwing selected e mail or re format and enclose into ZIP FILE . There are ways TONE .

marco
Congadelica

Postby YorubaSon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:28 am

haha that old cat is funny - sounds drunk!~ :lol:

Bet hey - there are far WORSE "instructors on youtube!
For instance both these "instructors"~ :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc_PKR-nqBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn_JUVZ5TmE
YorubaSon

Postby YorubaSon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:27 am

LoL this guy is a CLOWN!

"How to Play Jazz Bass on Conga Drums" :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0J6XDt7O5A

"Tips for Playing with Latin Bands on Congas" :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0o3rk-N7E
Last edited by YorubaSon on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
YorubaSon

Postby windhorse » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:30 am

:evil: :evil: oooooohhhh ouch.. Way to find some hilarious examples Yorubason!!!
Both of these guys are quite serious... The second one is especially apropot.. He keeps emphasizing how to do this one alternating emphasis straight roll, (like that's an important fundamental step to learning to play well) then says, "don't wear rings on your hands,, like I just did in this demonstration.." In other words,, don't follow my lead in instruction.. I'd say that's good advice..
};-D

Dave
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:01 am

windhorse wrote:." In other words,, don't follow my lead in instruction.. I'd say that's good advice..
};-D

Dave

Exactly, PLEASE ANY NEW COMER OR BEGGINNER TO THIS INSTRUMENT DO NOT FOLLOW ANYTHING ANY OF THESE 3 GUYS IN THE VIDS ON THIS PAGE ARE PREACHING!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Surely its a joke? He cant be serious? :shock:

:lol: :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 am

You should check out the Expert Village one on bongo....it's hilarious...the guy's bongo has a giant rip in the skin of the hembra!!

I think they provide some of the best comedy on YouTube....I see they have one on self defence.......I must check it out.
"Relax...you'll get there quicker."
Coco

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!