Rumba group in/around Asheville, NC?

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Rumba group in/around Asheville, NC?

Postby goingquinto » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:12 am

I am living in Colorado right now, but I find myself in a position that I might have to be going to NC for a little while to help take care of some family. I will dearly miss my friends I've made here, and the rumbas we have. We have a group of 8 to 10 who study regularly together. I am hoping to not be completely without rumba while I'm there, though.
If anyone has any info on drumming in or around the Asheville NC area, it would be greatly appreciated. I will be going between Winston-Salem, NC and Asheville, NC, so anywhere in between would work. It will probably be a month or so before I am actually there, so I'm looking for an ongoing thing, not just some drum camp or something. Thanks in advance for any information.

Dusty
goingquinto

Re: Rumba group in/around Asheville, NC?

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:15 pm

I'm trying to shake off the shock right now... I read this before finding out from Dusty himself... Most of what I have learned about playing congas comes from Dusty. He's an old soul and prodigy of drumming. Some folks in NC are going to be really psyched you dropped into their world.. I'm going to be really bummed to see you go my friend,, but surely something positively life altering awaits you in your family's retreat.
Go well,,, and thanks for everything you taught me!
Dave
windhorse

Postby ralph » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:03 pm

I am in Winston Salem...i get together with a small group 3-4 people and we go over a myriad of stuff, from haitian to dominican to african to puerto rican to cuban stuff...we are comprised of mostly beginners but the guy that is really the leader of the groups knows his stuff, thats always an option and i'm pretty sure we'd be happy to have another drummer in our mist...to share and learn....in Asheville I think there are some guys that are playing some bata and rumba, but i never really been out there to check them out, so i can't really say...you may want to check out this site... http://www.salseros828.com through this site, they can probably steer you to some players out there...ok...
ralph

Postby goingquinto » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:03 am

Thanks for the link, I will check those guys out. I will actually be spending quite a bit of time in the Winston-Salem area when I come out there. I won't be coming till June or so, but I'm definitely coming. It's good to hear there is some drumming there. I'll keep in touch. Just in case (I hope not) this site goes down again for a while, I can also be reached at my e-mail goingquinto@hotmail.com
goingquinto

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!