looking for a teacher

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

looking for a teacher

Postby yoyito conga » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm looking for a good teacher in new york city I just got a set of congas and I need someone to teach me how to play if anyone know about someone out there please let me know I would to learn with Johnnyconga but he is cross country in Seattle thanks.
yoyito conga

Re: looking for a teacher

Postby jorge » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 am

What style do you want to learn?
Salsa?
Cuban Popular music - son, timba?
Rumba?
Bomba, plena, musica boricua?
Folkloric religious music Bembe, Palo, bata?
R&B?
Jazz?
Latin jazz?
Different teachers for different styles.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:44 am

Yoyito call "Boys Harbor Music Institute"...212 427 2244 they will lead you in the right direction..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:15 am

Boys Harbour is great from what Ive heard.

From their website:

FACULTY BIOGRAPHIES

RAMON RODRIGUEZ: (Conservatory Director)
Director of the Conservatory since 1975, Ramon Rodriguez directs the Latin Music Workshops and is the Director of the Raices Latin Music Collection. He has served as an auditor for the New York State Council on the Arts. A music theory and piano major, Mr. Rodriguez holds a Bachelor of Music from Manhattan School of Music. He is versed in piano, bass violin, and percussion. In addition Mr. Rodriguez has studied electronic music at New York University with Morton Subsonic. His teaching experiences include Third Street Music School, Henry Street Music Settlement as well as various teen performing arts workshops with the Board of Education of New York City. With extensive performance experience in Latin, popular and classical fields, he has performed with such artists and groups as Roberta Flack, Tipica Novel, Johnny Colon, and the The Symphony of the New World. His Off-Broadway credits include Roar of the Grease Paint, and Don't Bother Me I Can't Cope. As a co-producer, he has produced numerous shows celebrating Latin Music including Oh....So Many Stars, A Celebration of the Sideman of the Palladium Era, Salsa Sunday 1997, and the 1997 GRAMMY Tribute to Tito Puente to name a few. In November 2000, Mr. Rodriguez was inducted into City Lore's People's Hall of Fame, and is a recipient of the 2001 Fifth Annual Samuel and May Rudin Community Service Award and the Eugene McCabe Memorial Public Service Award.
(Back to Top)

LOUIS BAUZO (Latin percussion / department head)
Louis Bauzo has been a professional musician for over thirty years. A former member of the Tito Puente Orchestra, he has performed and/ or recorded with Dizzy Gillespie, Machito, Mario Bauzo, Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria, Johnny Pacheco, Larry Harlow, Celia Cruz, Cachao and Paul Simon, among others. Director of the Harbor Conservatory’s Latin Percussion Department, Mr. Bauzo is also the musical director and conductor of the Harbor Big Band, as well as the Co-Founder/Curator of the RAICES Latin Music Collection. Mr. Bauzo is a recognized authority on Afro-Caribbean folklore, and has studied in Africa, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Juilliard School of Music. He is the director of the Afro-Caribbean folkloric dance and drumming troupes “Carambu” and “Patakin”. In 2000, Mr. Bauzo was honored as an Urban Folk Hero with his induction into City Lore’s People's Hall of Fame in recognition of his effort in creating a home for Latin music
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby vinnieL » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:40 am

Wow NY should be no probl;em to find a great teacher JC sent you good advice give them a call. I sometimes wish i was there again even for a year or so of solid instruction. So many great teachers and players still there.
vinnieL

Postby yoyito conga » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 am

thanks all you guys for all the help its always good to know orther people out there hope to use this infor soon
yoyito conga

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!