Percussion workshops in Cuba

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Percussion workshops in Cuba

Postby guarachon63 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:06 pm

From Chuck Silverman's current Facebook status:
"I have seven people confirmed for our Pro Research trip to Cuba. I need one more person. Anyone interested in info please email me. Cuba won't be this way (non-commercial, non-Cancun-like) for very much longer."

Chuck can be reached at

chuck@chucksilverman.com

cbsilverman@yahoo.com

From Chuck's Website:

Next Program

September 20 - October 4, 2009

I am offering this program to la Habana and Matanzas at a very reduced rate.
The two weeks include daily professional research opportunities, dbl. occupancy,
all ground travel and services and just an amazing opportunity.

The price for a 2 week program 10 nights Havana, 4 nights Matanzas, 8
days of professional research, 4 hours per day in Havana, 2 days of professional research 4 hours
per day in Matanzas, breakfast and dinner daily, all transportation in
Cuba, pickup at Havana airport, return to Havana airport at end of stay.

While in Havana and Matanzas we will have ample time to perform many types of research,
from meetings with world recognized professors such as Dr. Olavo Alén Rodriguez
to investigations of the relationships between drumming and religion.
We will also meet with famous and very approachable rumberos from both Havana and Matanzas.
Participation in various religious ceremonies and rumbas are guaranteed.

Accomodation based on 2 per room. Translator/guide included

A thought from me about the possibilities of things changing between the US and Cuba.
As many of you may have read, there is a thawing of the decades old enmity between
governments. This is, most probably, a good thing. My suggestion is to Go before
all the money and tourism hits Havana. Things will never be the same. Ever.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Re: Percussion workshops in Cuba

Postby seisporocho1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:23 am

I'm sorry, but is it me or is Chuck's programs in Cuba overpriced or what?! Why spend $2-3,000 if coming to cuba? With less than a quarter of that, you can travel AND study with the best just the same I'm sure.
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby Light Seeker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 pm

6x8:

I just got back from a 2-week percussion study in Havana. The tour was organized by PlazaCUBA. It was just shy of $3000, not including airfare. Before, I thought it was very expensive, but I realized that it was more than worth it. First of all, don't let the poverty of the locals fool you -- Havana is quite the expensive city for a tourist. It can be comparable to spending time in any other large city like NYC. There are ways to live cheaply, though.
Also... the connections that the organizers have, as well as their years of experience, were priceless. It can be very difficult to make the leap from being a visiting outsider, to being something of an insider, actually getting to be trusted and accepted. For me personally, I realized that had I gone to Cuba by myself, I would have been very unprepared for it, and I would have wasted a lot of time and money trying to find a good teacher (everybody will offer to give you lessons, few would probably be good teachers), and just getting ripped off by all the jineteros, haha. The teachers provided by PlazaCUBA (and probably by Chuck's tour as well) are renowned for being excellent, experienced, knowledgeable teachers.
The benefit of the group leaders' experience and the connections you make are worth the added expense alone (we were hanging out with members of Rumberos de Cuba, Los Ibellis, Juan de Dios, etc), but aside from that you're getting relatively nice accommodations, plus there are great group events (we got to go to a private show by Yoruba Andabo).
Light Seeker

Postby seisporocho1 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 am

sounds really cool bro. I'm glad you went and got a lot out of it.
cuando rumbeamos?! :)

peace
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby pavloconga » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 am

seisporocho1 wrote:I'm sorry, but is it me or is Chuck's programs in Cuba overpriced or what?! Why spend $2-3,000 if coming to cuba? With less than a quarter of that, you can travel AND study with the best just the same I'm sure.

A tour like that is probably a really great idea if you only have limited time.
I'm sure it's a great tour, well organised and takes a lot of the guess work out of it, but there are other ways of studying in Cuba. Especially if you want to stay in Cuba for a longer time.

I'll just relate my experience.
Before I went to Cuba I looked into a few organised tours (including Chuck's) but realised they were too expensive and not really fitting into my idea of at least a 1 month stay (which I later extended to 2 months) and my aim of studying 5 days a week.
In the end I just rocked up in Havana, knowing nobody and with no contacts at all.

However, luck – or fate - was on my side. I had just one night's accommodation booked on the internet through a guy in Vedado called Raul Sarmiento. I was supposed to stay in his casa, but when I arrived in his place he said, "Sorry, there's been a mix up and Im going to send you to a friend's place down the road." So I arrived there and met the owners, Eddy y Isabel.

Later that day I told Eddy I was in Cuba to study percussion – and did he know any good teachers or places to study? He said, "Si, my cousin is a musician in the Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba." I said, "Great, where is that and where can I find him?" He pointed across the road and said, "Right there!" My random accommodation positioned me directly opposite (within 30 metres) of Havana's Folklorico Nacional de Cuba. The same night I organised lessons with him (Guillermo Lopez Clemente). A few days later (through a Saturday afternoon event at the Folklorico) I was introduced to another great conguero, an elderly man called Sandalio Calderon but usually known just as 'Macho'. When Macho played, all the young cats would watch and listen. That man had serious respect. He invited me to his place and became my main teacher. I ended up studying with him pretty much everyday for 2 months in Ataré in the casa of the great rumbero Chavalonga.

As far as Lightseekers comment about trust and being accepted, it goes both ways. My experience with the teachers I met was that as soon as they knew I was there to study seriously, with sincerity and respect - the sincerity and respect was returned.

Mine was probably not a typical experience, but that was how it all played out. :)
My living expenses over the 2 months were around US $3200 and I learned way more in 2 months than I possibly could have in 2 weeks.
cheers
Pavlo

p.s. if any one wants contact details of accommodation or teachers just PM me.
pavloconga

Postby danno » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:19 pm

You can also try the Conjunto Folklorico National workshops in Havana. 2 weeks for $500. Its right behind the Cohiba Hotel and the Riviera Hotel is beside that one. I did this workshop a few years ago and had a blast. I don't have to mention its run by Cubans. Its also a great place to find great players for private lessons.

dan
danno

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!