Easter Shore MD or DE - looking for teacher

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Easter Shore MD or DE - looking for teacher

Postby Herbal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:54 pm

I play for a living but want to get back to the roots. What I play, anymore, is anything but traditional.

If you are familiar with the area, it is all resorts, deck bars, and lots of acoustic music. I saw a niche backing acoustic guitar duos and trios in places that can't accommodate full bands. I get more work than I can handle, as I do all the bookings and managerial work for my acts as well.

I didn't play for a bit over ten years due to injury and had been playing guitar for a few when I was in the studio listening to a friends new track and started tapping on the congas- they told me to keep playing. As a result, the first time I touched congas in over a decade is on a CD! The next week I get a call from the producer, whose act I had been playing guitar and singing with from time to time. He was frantic - they had a live radio performance and the drummer couldn't make it and they asked me to kick the grooves on the congas. So, the second time I touched them in ten years was on live radio (have a recording of that too!).

That all happened about 18 months or so ago.

Nowadays -
Most of the time I am holding a shaker in the right hand to simulate a hi-hat. I am playing blues, Motown, country, folk, and everything in between, and it works. I get asked so often, "how can you do that on percussion?". When you have it taken away for so long, you will find a way to make it work if it was meant to be.

I was told I would never play again and my life felt empty. I am sure glad they were wrong. I may be in hell a lot of the time, but I can always drag my ass out of bed long enough to get through a show.

If you know anyone in my area, please let me know.
Herbal

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!