Cuba in Chicago!

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Cuba in Chicago!

Postby SpEd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I have just started taking lessons with Don Skoog of the Contemporary Music Project, in Oak Park, IL.
Don has been running a trip to Mexico each year to study with Roberto Vizcaino Guillot, but I was very happy to see that the program will be taking place in Oak Park this year. I plan to attend and look forward to a productive summer.
Hit the link below for more info...

Cuba in Chicago!
A Latin Percussion Program in Oak Park, IL
June 27 to July 2, 2011
http://www.contemporarymusicproject.com/cuba.html

For the last five years, The Contemporary Music Project has been conducting a Latin percussion program in Morelia Mexico. This year, we are moving it to Oak Park, IL!

Cuba in Chicago will bring some of the world’s best-known Latin percussionists together with a talented group of students to study the instruments, rhythms and history of Cuban music. There is no other program of this quality anywhere in the Midwest.

Come Study With:

Roberto Vizcaino (Grammy Award winner) congas and timbales.
Jesus Diaz, congas and batá drums.
Raul Pineda (Grammy Award winner) drum set.
Michael Spiro, congas and batá drums.
Colin Douglas, intermediate congas and batá.
SpEd

Re: Cuba in Chicago!

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:55 am

Looks more like SF in Chicago, Jesus, Micheal and Colin are all based in the Bay Area.
bongosnotbombs

Postby SpEd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:37 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Looks more like SF in Chicago, Jesus, Micheal and Colin are all based in the Bay Area.

LOL...I hear ya bnb... and I'm really looking forward to meeting all of them.

I am familiar with Michael and Jesus from congamasterclass.com. It appears Michael has been part of Contemporary Music Project's "Cuba in Mexico" program for a number of years, and has also been available in Chicago for workshops occasionally. I will most likely be working with Colin or Jesus, but will still have a chance to learn from all of them in the master classes.
SpEd

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Jesus Diaz really is an incredible guy, very personable. I've had the chance to see him play a couple of times from formal gigs to parties. A close friend of mine was taking personal classes with him as well.
bongosnotbombs

Postby SpEd » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Cuba in Chicago is next week... can't wait!!! :mrgreen:

For those in the area... there will be afternoon master classes throughout the week, and a concert Saturday evening.
SpEd

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks Ed,

I am glad to see this posted with the Venue change. I would be so disappointed to goto the wrong place.

I hope to see you there.
Jerry Bembe

Postby vxla » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks for posting the information; I'm going to try and make it to the Friday masterclass (is it at the 19th Century Club, also?) and will be at the concert!
vxla

Postby SpEd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 am

Hope to run into ya vx... and yeah it's all at the club.

Cuba in Chicago kicked off this morning. Really enjoyed studying with Colin Douglas today, and his master class was clear and practical.
Also took an afternoon private lesson with Michael Spiro... priceless and I thank him for his patience. Looking forward to his bata master class, and a private lesson with Jesus Diaz tomorrow.

Colin covered adding timbales to a set to cover other percussion parts... gr8 stuff!

My classroom... :D
SpEd

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!