Teachers in New York

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Teachers in New York

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:37 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anonimo

Re: Teachers in New York

Postby norskdrum » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 pm

:lol:Hi you guys..
I keep popping up all over the place...difficult sometimes to know which forum to put my requests in :?:

As you both know by now, I am trying to get a feel for the world of Latin music and trying to pin down, more exactly than I have ever done ..which brands of latin I really prefer :?: obviously this is not an exact science as music is very personal & subjective and tastes can cross genres as we all know...:lol:

I much prefer instrumentals to vocals..and the following which were kindly suggested/Linked by Leedy2 really hit the sweetspot!for me Clavesonsalsa/Timbales Solo -Sonora Poncena/ Tito Puente~Eguie Castrillo& his Orchestra, timbal solo by Eguie Castrillo I can of course find so much to like in all forms of latin music but maybe less of the heavier Jazz as I call it....

My head is so full, of so much already, I forget who it was and on which forum..they suggested to me a Timbales/Conga? teacher based in sweden our neighbour..sure the name of the guy was Pepe? but could be mistaken...
as you will recall I had mensioned my dream to spend time with a first class teacher to see & feel at first hand real latin Timbales/Conga playing and maybe just learna thing or two along the way..the expereince alone I am sure would be of imense benefit to me for many reasons.

So when I saw your recommndations for Victor rendon in particular I just thought I would ask if you felt he could be an option for me..say spending a wekk or two in New York..not taking lessons al the time..not sure I could afford that but maybe some thing could be put together? just a thought..I know there will be other folk to which will offer me top class tuistion..and I am no ready at this time anyway..this is for the future.

all thoughts and suggestions appreciated
best wishes Steve :mrgreen:
norskdrum

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Anonimo

Postby norskdrum » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:24 am

Good Morning Leedy2 (06:22) :mrgreen:
Many thanks for your very encouraging reply ,appreciate it very much,do you know if it is possible to contact them via e-mail as the cost of calls from Norway would scare most non Norwegains to death..
as I said it will be quite a time before I would be ready to commit to this great adventure...but I am both seriouse and determined to do this..it means a lot to me..

all the best Steve :D
norskdrum

Postby Anonimo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 am

Anonimo

Postby pavloconga » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 am

norskdrum wrote:
My head is so full, of so much already, I forget who it was and on which forum..they suggested to me a Timbales/Conga? teacher based in sweden our neighbour..sure the name of the guy was Pepe? but could be mistaken...

Hi Steve,
It was me that mentioned Pepé Espinosa who is based in Sweden.
Pepé is a very high level multi-percussionist on congas, timbale, bongo ... and a great guy too.
I have his business card somewhere, but have just moved house and everything seems impossible to find.
You can try his myspace or maybe friend him on facebook
http://www.myspace.com/pepeespinosa
http://www.lpmusic.com/Pros_That_Play_L ... inosa.html
ciao
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 am

LEEDY, I WOULD LOVE TO GET LESSONS FROM NICKY MARRERO, HE IW ONE OF MY FAVORITE, FROM THE OLD SCHOOL TIMBALEROS STILL ALIVE.
HE IS VERY TASTIE.

I have tried contacting him trough myspace, but it looks like he dosnt check he's account that often.
Hopefully you could help.
Mr. Conga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 am

Mr. Conga wrote:LEEDY, I WOULD LOVE TO GET LESSONS FROM NICKY MARRERO, HE IW ONE OF MY FAVORITE, FROM THE OLD SCHOOL TIMBALEROS STILL ALIVE.
HE IS VERY TASTIE.

I have tried contacting him trough myspace, but it looks like he dosnt check he's account that often.
Hopefully you could help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N03njJxZhAI

Nicky Marrerro, Chino Nunez and Eddie Montalvo on the skins.....
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:38 pm

pavloconga wrote:
norskdrum wrote:

Hi Steve,
It was me that mentioned Pepé Espinosa who is based in Sweden.
Pepé is a very high level multi-percussionist on congas, timbale, bongo ... and a great guy too.
I have his business card somewhere, but have just moved house and everything seems impossible to find.
You can try his myspace or maybe friend him on facebook
http://www.myspace.com/pepeespinosa
http://www.lpmusic.com/Pros_That_Play_L ... inosa.html
ciao
Pavlo

Pepe Espinosa recently relocated to the NYC/NJ area.

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby Anonimo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Anonimo

Postby norskdrum » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm

:oops: Good Day Pavlo..
Good to hear from you...
Firstly apologies,for forgetting who it was that had suggested Pepé Espinosa to me.afraid I get confused very easily and the medication I am on does not help.It as being a long day at the hospital for me..and it was good to return home to replies both from yourself and to my other thread re-theGreat~Timbalroswhich as produced quite a list:!:

Its a funny thing Pavlo,I suppose a part of me was hoping deep down to be able to visit the States? to take lessons..if only for a week or so,and I was going to ask (unfairly) who you guys thought would be the best teacher, from the list of great teachers: Pepé,Victor,Johnny,and there may have being others in time.
Then the practical me was thinking well if Pepé was available to help me in Sweden then it would be common sense to travel there,,being much closer,less to orginise and of course a lot cheaper :roll:

And Then....I noticed the reply from tamboricua(many thanks0 that
Pepe Espinosa recently relocated to the NYC/NJ area.

So I am now thinking it must be my destiny to travel to the good old US of A :?:sfter all, But it will be sometime until I am in a position to be able to make this visit...where ever that maybe.

Finally I am in the process of buying the Ex- DW Drumsthink Gon-Bops have taken it over from DW? PRACTICE CONGA DANNY REYES
I actually found one here in Norway that even compared to UK & US prices is not bad...which is unusual..as Norway is in the top three most expensive places in the world to live!I thought I could use it to practice until both my room is refurbished and I am able to buy my Timbales e.t.c.

anyway my friends I think I am up to date

all the best Steve :mrgreen:
norskdrum

Postby shor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 am

norskdrum, Calixto Oviedo is based in Sweden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CzE0EnyXyA
shor

Postby norskdrum » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:07 pm

:lol: Hello Shor,
Good to hear from you..and their was me thinking I am back to New York and you come along and I am possibly heading to sweden again! (only joking) must make that clear...all depends what the general feeling is as to the benefits of each of these great timbeleros...If its fely Victor,Johnny,or Pepe are possibly better for me then USA here I come..but if it is felt there would be no great advantage,by spending time in new York and Calixto Oviedo would be just as good then Sweden it is.
I do not like to put folk on the spot so please contact me by PM if you have advcie,or further suggestions we don`t want to start a who`s best argument because I am sure any of them would be great to to spend time with...and for me personally it would be a great honur to spend time in their company.

norskdrum

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:53 am

Calixto IS THE MAN!.... a Master percussionist on timbales, drumset, congas etc...a beautiful human being...the problem is he is busy...he lives in Stockholm and you can reach him thru Facebook...Buena Suerte!...
JohnnyConga

Postby norskdrum » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:02 am

:D Hi Johnny,
Good to hear from you...so Mr Calixto is the man...god he must be good.
as i have said I could not travel anywhere for a while :?: The reasons are many but firstly it would take some orginising,due to my health,which can manage the trip,but needs certain things attending to.the second is Finance..whilst I have lived in Norway 10 years, my dear wife as had to support me totally..which is not fair but that was the situation..now I have had word from the European commision(the decition makers in the EU)that the UK were wrong to stop my sickness benefits when I left the UK in 2002..so fingers and toes crossed |I am hoping just maybe I am in for a windfall? of money backdated to when I left UK :?:BIG if :!: but a chance we have long fought for at great cost to my overhaul health..
so it would be really superb if I could visit Mr Calixto..I will certainly try and make contact with him and see what he thinks

once again many thanks |Johnny

norskdrum

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!