Lessons With Johnny Conga

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Re: Lessons With Johnny Conga

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 am

Hey JC, sounds great, however cause I work during the day, I dont get home til around 6pm my time, and I have rehearsal 4 nights a week with 4 different bands Im working with at the moment, the other nights I also teach, weekends during the day Im out as I race my car or out fishing, plus add in the gigs over the weekend! Crazy schedule at the moment.
Definitely want to do some sessions with you, but would have to be during my annual leave or day off from work, looking forward to it!
Out of curiosity who are you tutoring from Syd?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Toby Bender -Australia 2012-Online student.jpg
Gavin Webber.jpg
Gavin Webber.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 13779 times
Sammy Allen from Melbourne Australia.jpg
Sammy Allen from Melbourne Australia.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 13779 times
I was tutoring Toby Bender and a brother in Melbourne named Gavin Webber and another named Sammy...Gavin actually came to my home for his 'intensive'...I am no longer tutoring Toby and Gavin and Sammy are on hold for now...
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Ah cool! Gavin came to see me for a lesson a while back, he lives a bit far from me though, he comes to some of my gigs from time to time, nice guy.
Toby has moved to Sydney, he is trying to get his name out there in town, doing some gigs around. Nice guy also. Good hands!
Un abrazo.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Recent testimonial from ongoing pupil Charles Burnetts of England/Canada...

I’ve been studying the conga drum with JC for just over two years and I just want to give my total thumbs-up to his approach as a teacher and percussion professional. As a Brit with musical tastes ranging from rock, funk, jazz, hip-hop (and latin music!), I came to JC professing a slightly uncertain attraction to conga drums. Without a well-defined notion of what I really wanted to learn, JC took me through the basic strokes, rhythms and rudiments, developing my knowledge and skills in Afro-Cuban music and much else besides. JC’s experience in the music biz is obviously amazing and one of the best things about learning from him (aside from the great stories) are the unique rhythms and styles he’s acquired (and invented) over the years, from hanging and playing in so many “scenes“. So if you want a proper idea of how to play alongside funk, disco and other r n b styles, this is your guy. Needless to say, he’ll also makes sure you know the essentials behind the instrument, most importantly its deep roots in African music and traditions, and its obvious dominance in Afro-Cuban music. Not only that, JC is a very attentive teacher and is well up on things like “cognitive discovery”, which emphasises learning through hearing and hands as much as through more logical processes. Learning through Skype is also a lot easier and effective than it sounds. It’s been a great experience, revealing the full potential of the instrument to me and motivating me to keep up practice and lessons.

Charles Burnett.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Re: CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga
Postby 440ranch » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 pm

I just returned last night from a week at Jonny Conga's intensive...
I'm already planning a time when I can go back.
No BS here, it started with JC picking me up at the airport on a Sunday evening, we had dinner at a Cuban restaurant and hit the drums the next morning... For 6+ hours a day! everyday for 5 days.

I have to admit, I thought for sure it would go down something like... He would give me an exercise, and then come back in half an hour while I worked on it. No way... He sat right next to me every hour of every day for the entire week. " sit up straight... relax your hands...breathe...Don't tap the drum, hit it...not enough wrist...get your hand off the drum...mark your time...you're too stiff...

JC is a guy who believes TEACHING is an art form, and he is good at it. He has a system, it's not random, he has thought it thru...He breaks it down so that you are doing something you understand, and you understand WHY you are doing it. A lot of guys can play, but not every guy who can play...can teach. Johnny Conga can do both.

I really felt like it wasn't just a job for JC...he was sincerely interested in me being successful. He did everything he could do to make sure I got the most out of everyday I spent there. Many days, we worked late, no complaint, no reminder that the lesson was over... We went as long as I lasted. And, when we weren't playing, we were watching DVDs of Cuban Rumberos, or listening to Mongo or Puente from records he bought 45 years ago... Awesome.

Maggie is a cheerful, gracious hostess, always smiling, and took a stranger into her house and made him feel comfortable, and welcome. Thank you Maggie.

There is not enough time for me to have been able to learn as much as I learned from JC on my own. It is amazing to me that he was so willing to give me so much of what took him a lifetime to accomplish. I will be forever grateful to JC for giving me that.
440ranch
Mark 2.jpg

JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 pm

From Mark and Diane after their 3 day Intensive with me...they came from Seattle,WA..where they had also taken some lessons with me...here is what they said abut their experience with me and Maggie..

Hey Johnny,

Want to Thank you and Maggie for your hospitality and good cheer while Diane and I were visiting. This was truly a great experience for us. Trying to remember all the individual details we learned and very glad we recorded everything. You certainly did take us to the next level and over the next several months we will review and improve. The metronome will now be standard in our practice for quite a while as well as working for speed. You showed us many fun rhythms but more importantly you taught us a clear path for development which is what we have been missing.

Be in touch in the future and already starting to think about an early winter return for another 3 day intensive--but for the time being we are finally on path. Just playing a bit over the weekend we were so much more focused and also very realistic about our renewed dedication.

Thanks, Mark & Diane
Mark Savage.jpg

Diane Savage.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Marcus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Forum Members,

I never reported back directly to the forum about our time with Johnny last April. My wife and I spent 3 days with Johnny as he patiently and thoroughly brought us up to the next level. We are essentially beginners by most people in this forum however in our world would might be considered intermediate. Big difference when one receives instruction from one who has played professionally for so many years. It was just plain fun! We recorded all now are spending time reviewing and playing.

We planned this 3 day camp along with a regular vacation to Florida and saw the Everglades, Naples and some really nice white sand beaches on the Gulf Coast. In Fort Lauderdale we stayed at a nearby hotel and ate local Cuban food nearly every day. Hotel costs are reasonable and food prices were inexpensive. Now Johnny will work with you for accommodations and taxi you to and from the airport to keep costs to a minimum.

For those who are thinking, considering, wanting, yearning----just do it!! You will appreciate the investment in yourself. We all spend money on things and experiences, this experience will pay for itself over and over again.

We are glad we visited Johnny and will return late next winter for another camp. Thanks Johnny

…Marcus :D
Marcus

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Jose Rivera from The Bronx, visiting family here in Florida, spent a couple of hours with me on the drum....he learned a lot about his individual weaknesses, and what it's gonna take to move forward, on the drum....So i gave him about 4 pages of 'hand balancing' exercises to open up his hands...he also learned that he was 'pushing' his strokes into the drum rather than 'hitting' the drum, and stroking from the wrists, rather than from his elbow and shoulders....he is basically a novice on the drum, but im sure he will learn my methods very fast and feel very good about his progress on the drum..

Once again, one will never learn it all in one's own lifetime...but there is always something to learn...Im here to share my knowledge of 50 years on the drum...'ol skool' and "new skool"...Thank you...

Jose Rivera  2.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Here is Gavin Webber( you can also see him above when he first came to me) from down under Sydney Australia for his 2nd Intensive with me...he of course has advanced using my methodology and practice since seeing me over 2 years ago in Seattle, and wanted more advanced techniques and rhythms...so that's what he got...
Gavin Webber 2.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby vinnieL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:23 pm

I just had a lesson yesterday with JC and I have to tell you he is a great teacher. He is challenging me with exercises to improve my tone with both hands. JC knows how to teach and is fun to be around I am glad to have him living in the same town we are only like 3 or 4 miles apart. I would recommend that anybody looking to learn or advance their skills reach out to JC he has a lot to offer. I look forward to more lessons with JC...
Vinnie.jpg
vinnieL

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:54 pm

New Online Conga drum pupil Dan Hernandez from California had his first instruction with me today. You can also learn Online, it works!...email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com
Dan Hernandez.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:10 pm

My latest Online pupils of the Conga drum.. I can help you too on the Conga drum, from beginners to intermediate players, hobbiest's, part timers, etc...rhythms, advanced techniques, hand balancing and more...go to my Congazine page here to read what others have experienced with me...I can take you where you want to go on the drum...I use Skype.com and i have pupils in Norway to Australia..here is Michael Bento and Kennth Johnson..Michael is in San Diego and Kenneth is in Texas...so I can come to you and we work around your schedule...Any questions??...you can email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com for more info..
Michael Bento 1.jpg
Kenneth Johnson2014.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:35 pm

I am accepting New Conga drum pupils(Newbies) and intermediate players that want to 'step up' their playing game...email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com here are my most recent ONLINE pupils of the Conga drum...
Claude from Finland, Jason from England, and Michael from Seattle,WA
Claude.jpg
Jason and congas.jpg
MichaelSmolker.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:53 pm

David Michael Sanders/Phoenix,AZ and Derrick Cabral of Boston Ma.. have just signed up for their first series of ONLINE Conga drum learning/instruction with me..
david 2.jpg
Attachments
Derrick 1.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Sandy Moses visiting from Illinois, for his second round with me and Erick Malgarejo, ongoing local student of the drum..
Sandy 1.jpg
Erick Malgarejo.JPG
I am also available for ONLINE CONGA DRUM INSTRUCTION..first introductory Instruction is FREE!...email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com for yours..
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!