Ralph Mercado R.I.P.

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Ralph Mercado R.I.P.

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:08 am

Top notch Salasa Producer... Celia Cruz, Marc Anthony, Tito Nieves..etc.
May he rest in Peace.
Que en Paz descance.

Olsongo
OLSONGO

Re: Ralph Mercado R.I.P.

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:55 am

wow! what a shock. Had he been not well?
Deepest condolences to the family. RIP.

Salsa promoter Ralph Mercado dead at 57

The Associated Press

HACKENSACK, N.J. - Ralph Mercado, a Brooklyn native whose promotional skills helped spread the popularity of salsa music worldwide, died Tuesday at Hackensack University Medical Center. He was 57 and had been diagnosed with cancer two years ago.

For more than 30 years, Mercado staged Latin music events in the New York area and managed some of the biggest stars of salsa, including Tito Puente and Celia Cruz. He also developed a record label, RMM Records, a publishing company, a video and film production company and operated restaurants and night clubs in New York.

"Tropical music has lost one of the promoters that defended and represented our genre the most," said salsa star Victor Manuelle. "He was one of the key figures in bringing and maintaining salsa to the place it now occupies."

While still a teenager in Brooklyn, Mercado began organizing parties and dances as president of a neighborhood social club, according to a biography provided by his publicist. He moved to a room above a garage on Atlantic Avenue, calling it the "3 & 1 Club" and began booking local Latin bands.

He soon opened a management, booking and promotions company called Showstoppers, which promoted R&B acts, including James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and New York concerts that featured a fusion of salsa and Latin jazz.

"As a promoter of the genre ... he and others achieved a very beautiful marriage between jazz musicians and salsa musicians," said Cuban jazz star Paquito D'Rivera, who worked many times with Mercado.

In 1972, Mercado opened RMM Management, representing jazz star Eddie Palmieri and Ray Barretto. He continued to promote Latin dances and concerts, including events featuring the Fania All-Stars, an ensemble of musicians and singers who recorded for Fania Records, the leading salsa record company of the time.

Mercado later started his own independent Latin music recording company, RMM Records. Leading artists who recorded for the label included Marc Anthony, La India, Tito Puente and Celia Cruz.

Mercado was honored with a lifetime achievement tribute by Billboard magazine in 1999.

He is survived by his wife Cynthia, five children, two brothers and a sister.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re: Ralph Mercado R.I.P.

Postby docarroyo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am

QEPD I grew up on Pacific street and new Ralph, and his whole family his younger brother George and Ralphs daughter Debbie and I played as children. I handed out flyers for Ralph outside the Cheetah along with Andy another guy from Pacific street. I was about 13 or 14 when I was allowed into my first barn dance at the hotel St George in Brooklyn Hieghts which was one of Ralphs productions. Not just cause he was a friend but Ralph did alot for Latin music and salsa around the world from the 3 in 1 club and record shop on Smith st to RMM produtions he took our music to another level and brought it to masses when it was at a lull. I remember going to his office in the Empire State building with another good friend Mark Diamond the pianist and being very impressed by his office. I will convey sympathies to his sister Jelly who still lives next to my mother on Pacific Street. I don't know her real name we just always have known her by that name.
docarroyo

Return to News