Puerto Rico's Master Drummer - READ NOW!! - Angel Cachete Maldonado

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Postby CongaMan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:23 pm

Esteemed friends and colleagues:

Cachete's youngest sister, Marta, just called me to give an update her brother's status.
For those unaware, Puerto Rico's Master Drummer - Angel Cachete Maldonado, an internationally acclaimed percussionist, teacher, studio recording artist, bandleader (co-founder of Batacumbele) and African Latin cultural warrior, suffered a severe stroke 10 days ago leaving him partially paralyzed on his left side. He's home resting in a temporary residence on Calle Rafael Cepeda Atiles in Villa Palmera, Santurce, Puerto Rico. The home is well suited for his care because there are no stairs and everything is accessible on one floor. Thankfully, his speech is returning, albeit slowly. He has limited movement on his left side. He cannot move his left leg, but his left arm does have some limited movement. HE WILL NEED EXTENSIVE THERAPY.
Although Cachete has some medical coverage, it does not cover the specialized physical therapy he needs. The need is very serious. Discussions are underway to see how a fundraising benefit or series of benefits can be organized to help.

Get well cards, financial contributions and prayers are welcome!
Anyone wishing more information or able to make a contribution can contact:
Ms. Marta Maldonado
Cell: 787-529-4047
Home: 787-726-4786
Calle 11, #513
Barrio Obrero
San Juan, PR 00915

Peace and blessings to you,
Michael Reyes
262-544-1202
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby carlitos » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:05 am

I seen Cachete play at el zumbador in san turce, rumba rumba rumba, I thought I was in heaven, later that night Jerry Gonzelez came and sat in and it just got better. I'm sorry to hear about this because I planned on my next trip back to head straight to el BArrio Obreo to catch another show. I will still go back there. He is going to recover fully. You must have faith.
carlitos

Postby kinoconga » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:21 pm

Will like to know how is Angel "Cachete" Maldonado doing this days.

Anyone with information please post an update.

Sincerely,

KinoConga
KinoConga
kinoconga

Postby tamboricua » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:29 pm

kinoconga wrote:Will like to know how is Angel "Cachete" Maldonado doing this days.

Anyone with information please post an update.

Sincerely,

KinoConga

Hola Kino,

Hope all is well! Cachete is back on the scene again. Like Carlitos mentioned he plays regularly @ El Balcón del Zumbador in Puerto Rico with his rumba group Los Majaderos. Playing quinto, batá, cajón, and singing. Check the attached picture of him with Los Majaderos @ El Zumbador recently. Also often he reunites Batacumbele members to perform on special events around the island.

Cachete Maldonado y Los Majaderos

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1079459026
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:17 pm

He's fine! I just saw him a couple of weeks ago at a gathering of percussionists by LP at El Balcon del Zumbador. (See http://www.congahead.com. See Puerto Rico shoot. Yours truly is in some of the photos with an olive colored shirt. No individual picture since I currrently sponsor other brand).

That night or the next night they had Little Johnny Rivero as a star guest at one of Los Majaderos presentation at "El Balcon'. (Los Majaderos is Cachete's group). He looked fine to me! Don't know if he could play though!

Before that I saw him at the presentation of his CD at the Puerto Rico Cultural Institute and he look good also.

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1079464904
Raymond

Postby franc » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:39 am

raymond, como estas, mi pana?? siento mucho lo de cachete maldonado. ruego que muy pronto se recupere, ojala que si!!! tell me ray what kind of cd did he recorded? i mean salsa, cuban guguanco, etc ,etc. i ask so that i can buy his cd. ache!!!, to all you guys at the forum, and my best, franc:(
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:33 pm

Franc

Cachete mishappening happened various months ago. Like I mentioned, he appears to be fine. (He walks and talks OK for somebody that had a stroke).

His album, that I've seen erroneously in some stores here in Puerto Rico in the Cuban music section or in the latin jazz, is an album of just drums (what we call rumba type). (Has Tego Calderon, the rapper in one song).

Saludos

Edited By Raymond on 1079534034
Raymond

Postby zaragemca » Tue May 04, 2004 4:28 pm

It is a good news that he has been able to come back,I would have a question,even when I know that 'Cachete' did play with Mongo Santamaria,where did he learned to play Bata?.

Edited By zaragemca on 1085094260
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby tamboricua » Tue May 04, 2004 4:47 pm

zaragemca wrote:It is a good news that he has been able to come back,I would have a question,even when I know that 'Cachete' did play wih Mongo Santamaria,where he learned to play Bata?.

Hi Zaragemca,

Hope all is well! "Cachete" was part of Patato's Afrocubanos folkloric group. As part of Patato's group, he traveled to New York and met with the late Julito Collazo who took him under his wing.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1083698178
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:57 am

It is with a sad heart that I tell you,"Long John" Oliva the Cuban Rumbero/Musician, passed on Sunday from an apparent heart attack, in Los Angeles. He currently has 2 Cd's released.. Goto [email]lucumi@earthlink.com....He[/email] had his mentor "Pancho Quinto" on his last CD. May he rest in peace......JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:26 pm

MAKE A NOT OF IT: Starting on August 14th on KBCS 91.3 FM here in Seattle I will be doing a new radio program called "A Lado Latino-On the Latin Side" with Johnny Conga....it will also be online . From 6pm to 8pm Pacific coast time. I will be playing Latin Rock, Latin Soul, "ol skool" Salsa, Mambo Jazz, Latin Jazz, Afro-Cuban Jazz, Musica Cubana, and Afro-Caribbean rhythms, mostly from my own collection of records(yea vynil). Hope that you can tune in for the best in Latin music......peace....JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:07 am

CHECK it OUT!..... :D ...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Simon B » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:52 pm

Awesome JC! I hope to tune in on-line!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby kinoconga » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:04 pm

To All CongaBoard Friends:

I regret to inform all of you that Angel "Cachete" Maldonado, renowned world percussionist, has suffered another setback. According to news reports, this time the stroke was of a milder intensity than the first one he suffered earlier.

Get well cards, financial contributions and prayers are welcome!
Anyone wishing more information or able to make a contribution can contact:
Ms. Marta Maldonado
Cell: 787-529-4047
Home: 787-726-4786
Calle 11, #513
Barrio Obrero
San Juan, PR 00915
KinoConga
kinoconga

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:09 am

I will remember him in my prayers.

Tonight I have been invited to attend a bembe, I will be opening with a solo dedicated to Angel.
We wish you a speedy recovery.

On behalf of the percussionists here we hope he recovers from this recent incident.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Next

Return to News