Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Re: Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

Postby pavloconga » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:47 am

After go go mickey's tuning demo and the cool graphics posted, all I can say is:
Attachments
awesomethread copy.jpg
Last edited by pavloconga on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
pavloconga

Postby yambu321 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

LP SHOULD FORGET THAT DUMB IDEA, AND FOR STARTERS CONCENTRATE ON ELIMINATING THIER LOUSY T-SHIRT, HAT, AND ETC DESIGNS, AND MAKE SOME BADASS CONGA, AND BONGO THEME VERSIONS, AND OF HEAVIER GAUGE COTTON, AND SO FORTH. THEY SHOULD MAKE THEM SO THAT WE, WOULD BE PROUD TO BUY THEM, AND WEAR THEM!

THEY SHOULD CONSULT THE GUYS AT SAFARI ON EBAY. THEY TRULY KNOW HOW TO DESIGN THEME TEES.

CHARLIE. 8)
Last edited by yambu321 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby sgconguero » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi everybody!,

This is actually my first post ever. I have, in the other hand, being a follower for quite a long time of the congaboard, but never posted any comments. I do enjoy all the comments and information you guys provide here in this site. It have helped me in developing my skills and selection of drums, etc.. Humblely, I will say that I have been playing the drums for several years now, and by no mean I consider me a pro, but I'm actually a weekend warrior when the opportunities present. I do have several conga drums which I love and enjoy, some of the sets are LP's. With this, I will say that I'm kind of picky person, especially with my drums. I did see the video by LP and I have to actually say something about it. I don’t dig it, and I don’t like it !. I will agree with one of the congaboard members that said "if isn’t broke, don't fix it!” This is just my opinion and I do respect the opinions of the ones that may be inclined to accept this changes. But you will never see me playing a beautiful classic conga with some hardware like this, I'm more incline towards the traditional look. Thanks for letting me give my opinion about this change

¡Que viva la música!
sgconguero

Postby congamyk » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 am

Derbeno wrote:Why bother to spin your precious babies around or copy Slingerland's 40 year old design.
This is how Go-Go Mikey tunes his tubs :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOGEqs7 ... re=channel
He's done tuning 4 drums within a minute!

from his website
For more than 20 years, there has been no rougher percussionist than Milton Go-Go Mickey Freeman. A local legend known for his lightning-fast hands on the congas and oft-imitated beats, Freeman is the sonic anchor of Rare Essence and a two-time Washington Area Music Association Award (Wammie) winner as an instrumentalist. As a member of Rare Essence, he has won an additional five Wammies and a coveted place in WAMAs Hall of Fame.

GET IN LINE FOR LESSONS FROM THE LEGEND! :P

Mickey plays his new "coon-gas" right outa the bag without needing to tune up.
"Fresh RIGHT OUT Tha bag"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF20FaHkzeQ

Mickey demonstrates playing on "BOTH SIDES of the congas - versatile". :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7S1GPV-wQ
congamyk

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:36 am

There are some truly delusional individuals in this world. Even worse to that effect are the individuals that buy into it.

You telling me for real this person is getting awards for that? :roll: Darwin Awards for all parties involved!! :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Derbeno » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Abakua, as painful and ungainly as it looks, this style has it's own following. Believe it or not they actually teach the youngsters how to play this awful style. Karate chops and all.

This guy from the Baltimore area heard about where we play for this Afro-Cuban dance class and wondered in.
At the end of the class we sometimes have an impromptu non serious Rumba after a while we let him sit in for fun and he blasted away non stop at 100 mph on the Quinto. It sounded and looked quite painful but he thought he was the man.

We made him slow down, listen to the rest of us and fit in his licks. He was actually marginally better.

I then tried to show him the Segundo part and quickly gave up, any sort of basic technique was non existent. Tried the easier Tumba part, no joy.
He was a real nice guy, so invited him back the following week to join a lesson. Needless to say he struggled big time. Heel/toe, base, correct slaps and basic beginner exercises turned him into a hopeless spastic mess.

I explained that it wont be easy but if he perseveres it will surely enhance his Go-Go Gongaz playing. Never saw him again!

(ps He did give us a Go-Go demo though, I must admit this bloke was lighting fast. But that was about it.)
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby CongaTick » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Each to his own. I like go-go style, and would never disparage traditional conga technique in comparison. Each has its place and fit. None of us should be conga snobs.
CongaTick

Postby pavloconga » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:52 am

Let's face it, the 'go go style' is another world altogether and apart from being played on the same instrument bears little or no resemblance to Afro-Cuban and African drumming.
pavloconga

Postby pcastag » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Sorry folks, I've been a BIG fan of go-go music for years, listen to some trouble funk, EU or rare essence, DC created it's own music and there's a whole culture surroundng the music. Although the conga playing isn't as technically demanding or as sound as what most of us listen to , the music did bring percussion back to the forefront.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Good to see your "open-ness" to other interpretations and use of percussion Pcastag. And I agree with you about go-go. Those who are conga snobs about traditional technique justify their limited viewpoint as preserving the "purity" of Afro Cuban percussive culture.
CongaTick

Postby niallgregory » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 pm

CongaTick wrote:Good to see your "open-ness" to other interpretations and use of percussion Pcastag. And I agree with you about go-go. Those who are conga snobs about traditional technique justify their limited viewpoint as preserving the "purity" of Afro Cuban percussive culture.

I know nothing about go go music only what ive come across on youtube etc but tbh i dont get it , it just comes across as badly played congas to me and does nothing to help promote the instrument and how beautiful it can be . It also takes away from the countless hours of practice and study of technique we all put in . Each to there own of course :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby onile » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Now you get it!
Attachments
JoeJacksonStupidThumb.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby pcastag » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 am

Yeah baby! Although that really should be a pic of marion berry!
Clasic Go-Go- Drop the Bomb! Trouble Funk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXt-yyZEss

Get small! Trouble Funk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB6K1lw3t-M

Go Ju Ju - E.U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjavDnc ... re=related

Rare essence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1jVQUmg ... re=related

PC
Last edited by pcastag on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC
pcastag

Postby pcastag » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 am

niallgregory wrote:
CongaTick wrote:Good to see your "open-ness" to other interpretations and use of percussion Pcastag. And I agree with you about go-go. Those who are conga snobs about traditional technique justify their limited viewpoint as preserving the "purity" of Afro Cuban percussive culture.

I know nothing about go go music only what ive come across on youtube etc but tbh i dont get it , it just comes across as badly played congas to me and does nothing to help promote the instrument and how beautiful it can be . It also takes away from the countless hours of practice and study of technique we all put in . Each to there own of course :D

Listen to the music and catch the groove, it's definitely hot. BTW suga foot ricky, the drummer for EU went on to play with Miles, sooo. If you only listen to the music for the conga part you're missing the essence, listen to how the cats lay out in the above tracks, that's real go-go.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby congamyk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:05 am

CT with all respect I disagree that people that don't like go-go style are "conga snobs".
The conga drum already has a huge problem with musicians and the audience in general NOT taking our instrument seriously.
I think the go-go style furthers that lack of respect by making the congas a toy or freak-show that can be smacked in anyway.
Additionally the go-go style shows no respect for the instrument's history, rhythms and the rich heritage and culture of conga drumming.

There's a serious problem when all someone plays is one style over and over again for 20+ years without learning anything else.
The music becomes completely predictable and boring when every beat sounds identical to the last.

One might even say that the real "conga snobs" could be the majority of go-go players that never take the time to learn any of the rhythms, rudiments or rhythms of the drums history and modern day styles.
congamyk

PreviousNext

Return to News