Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Re: Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 am

To me music is a language with whom you speak and talk the story; in a band, solo artist, different kind of ensembles what so ever... The instrument you play becomes the extended part of you, like everything that you learn to use and use it with the power of your creativity. That special bond that man is capable to establish/create it with the TOOL, instrument, or any other technologic object, gives a man very powerful, self esteemed feelings. Making music, dancing and you name some more of the group activities that people share and are involved in, connects you more with the acters of it ( for example musicians) and people who are (supposed to)enjoying it too (for example audience or dancers). People like to feel connected to others and I agree, it's very important to learn (the technique) and have a respect, but to those go go players as you named them, i would only say: Keep on playing and enjoy playing with a joy in your soul. Drums are so beautifully primitive instruments, but do have a respect to others, cause lack of respect disconnect you with others.
Guys that are so frustrated with the technique, please have more tolerance and don't let technique puts down your joy and raise up your self centerness!
Peace and keep the groove flowing!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby Derbeno » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Based on my previous post, I can see the perception of "Conga snob"

Let me clarify, I don't give a rats arse if this is the way this genre loves to play and express themselves and I respect them for that. In fact I am in awe of their speed and inventiveness. But for someone that can play so well in this style to tune the instrument just by keeping on turning the few nuts nearest to him is perplexing. :?:

However, having been in contact with albeit a few go-go players and studying some of the post and comments on youtube I would say that they are more conceited than than any of the so called traditional Conga snubs. I can safely say Go-go players ARE the even bigger Conga snubs, they truly believe this is the best and only way to play, making it known with a lot of boasting and bravado. Who knows, perhaps it is simply part of the culture of this genre, humility is not part of it.

From personal experience, protagonist of this style are stuck, they cannot adapt or play any other genre whatsoever. This is a factual observation and nothing to do with being a snob. Not that they generally want to, but those that try to venture out found the task near on insurmountably. Again a factual observation.

In conclusion, if someone remotely has the ambition to learn or adopt some rudimentary classic technique it opens up the instrument, mind and the versatility to play or adapt to any other genre (with some practice) and get by reasonable well.

Of course if someone is happy in their world then that's great as well.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby CongaTick » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, I certainly didn't mean to stir things up. I should clarify. Conga snobs exist on "both sides of the aisle". A "go-go" proponent who doesn't take the time and discipline to learn basic strokes and technique to incoporate in his style, and who holds him/herself in higher regards to those who are traditional players is as offensive as the other way around. There is no question in my mind that REGARDLESS of what music you love to play, if you are going to sit down behind congas to play it, you MUST know and be proficient in all basic strokes and incorporate them. Also, the more Afro Cuban rhythms and patterns one knows, will add immeasurably to the armory of interpretation you bring to ANY music, whether go-go, traditional, rock, free-style jazz, funk, Latin jazz, etc. Nobody should be a conga snob. We are all students and I, as so many of us, am humbled by the technique mastery of the many devoted Afro Cuban pros on this forum.
CongaTick

Postby niallgregory » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I really cant understand how some people on here who study the conga and have an appreciation for the drum and its culture can like this " style " or technique . To me there isnt any style or technique to bad playing . Its like alot of djembe " players " here in Europe . The havent the first fcukin clue how to play these instruments but still insist in subjecting the rest of us to there "playing " :oops: I really like the guitar and the trumpet but im not gonna get on stage and play them purely because i cant ? Maybe i am a conga snob then :D but its just how i feel about the drum man , i cant help it 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby willie55 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

I just played with a conga player who had duct tape on one of the congas and duct tape on one of his bongo heads because they where split, he has been playing like that and i told him if he'd buy the flat skin that i would mount them for him, but he continues to play like this, and he also tunes them up with a set of pliers, he does have a go go style playing technique so maybe thats just the way he like them, i played 3 times with him and i was able to leave at first break each time. I just had to..me being there was not essential to the nights performace, his was
willie55

Postby pavloconga » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi guys,
Just to clarify my earlier comment, I stand by what I said that, "...go go drumming bears little or no resemblance to Afro Cuban drumming, it's another world."

However, that's not meant as a criticism, or a kind of conga snobbery.
It's just a fact. It IS another world. It's a world of drumming that doesn't rely on developing great technique or studying traditional rhythms.

The truth is, I actually appreciate what guys like go go mickey can do on the drums in certain musical situations.

here's a couple of examples of GGM's drumming that I think work pretty well in each situation:

GGM with BYB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NStPKkAVuF8

GGM with SOJA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yvARfKWrk

Here's to more drums and drumming!
Last edited by pavloconga on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pavloconga

KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

Postby Isaac » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:05 pm

"Ignorance never settles a question. "

quote from
Benjamin Disraeli / British Prime Minister 1870s

I do like some of the Go-GO music, but
The hard hitters without technical discipline will
likely cause themselves some serious hand
nerve damage in the not too distant future

...we're not likely to see
that scene produce the likes of another master like
Tata Guines. His contribution means little to them.
We'll have to lower the bar and "allow" these guys to
play the music they choose. We're not gatekeepers
although some of us do feel entitled to be,
and have paid their serious dues.

"knock yourself out" as they say in New York.

Isaac
Isaac

Postby burke » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:01 am

WOW! Just got on a fast connection and was able to look at some of the gogo stuff. Exactly the way I played as a teenager and young guy into my twenties. Just playing what ever felt right (right down to the rolling back and forth between drums and even the crossover crap). Then an actually conga player told me I was doing EVERYTHING wrong and I had to start from scratch (This I resisted and fought against for quite a while too). Painful process still ongoing I fear. But I will say this for that misspent youth: I think it may have made me a better listener and not as hitched (or lost without) a rhythmic structure to hang my hat on. Sometimes I've seen drummers in an unfamiliar musical setting/genre searching for the right rhythm and not able to make it up or improvise - would never happen to these gogo cats. Its like drum circle hippy dippy crap with major machismo.

I kinda liked it - wouldn't want to be there again but hey - their fans dig it obviously and who knows it might be the birth of something that will be able to claim the much vaunted word 'tradition' some day down the pike.

Probably not though :wink:
Burke
burke

Postby Percman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:24 pm

I saw these drums at the NAMM show and tired tuning them with the wrench. It was much easier to turn the tuning screws compared to the traditional set up. The tuning screws are the same diameter as the traditional lugs. I over heard players at the show talking about the drums saying it makes sense. I hope LP offers this design on some of their other finishes!
Percman

Postby Tumbas » Wed May 04, 2011 4:35 am

They always dramatize things when they get desperate.

I never had problems tuning drums that were mounted on a stand.

I always thought this was a good idea for Paila, but not for Tumbadoras or specially Bongo.

LP = :evil:
Tumbas

Postby Derbeno » Sat May 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Martin gave these topside tuning drums to Muñequitos for this performance in his studio.

Mind you, it took me a few repeat views to notice, this is performance is truly a gem with excellent video and audio quality that had my pulse racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9b4oPHv ... ture=feedu
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Previous

Return to News