Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

Postby onile » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:32 am

Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all well and abundantly blessed!
May you all have a wonderful Holiday Season as well!

I guess those guys at LP were bored and felt that they had to 're-invent' the wheel!

check this out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0MqkMaGD0

Suave!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Re: Re-inventing the Perverbial Wheel!

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:21 am

onile wrote:
I guess those guys at LP were bored and felt that they had to 're-invent' the wheel!

check this out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0MqkMaGD0

Yeah, and it looks pretty ugly too...
Not to mention the weird hand position
concerning the "comfort curve" aspect.

Anyway, it moves further and further away
from the "original" lug & tuning system, doesn´t it?

I wonder which sci-fi conga gadget
we will see in the future :roll:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:26 am

That concept has been thought of before. LP's version is a little better thought out maybe.
I wonder if it will catch on? I think it's a little on the ugly side though. It might make
changing skins a little more difficult.

I think your going to need the LP wrench or a socket to tune these. A regular wrench might not fit or
be able to rotate enough.

check out the Gon Bops Mark II
gonbop2.jpg

check out Mike G.'s Slingerlands
file.jpg

as they say; "nothing new under the sun."
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:28 pm

What a crock of shit. Sorry, I call it as i see it.

'Having to remove the drum from the stand in order to tune it'. Pffft. Ive never had a problem in my 18 yrs of pro playing. I endorse LP, and Im sorry, but I certainly wont be using them. I dont dig em one bit. Bored marketing team Id say. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sorry LP, you get 2 thumbs down here.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby willie55 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:38 pm

is this something like 'NEW COKE' oops let bring it back a call it 'COKE CLASSIC' how many conga players did they do research on. and it shows it was done before and didn't catch on..will it be and option
willie55

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Im not impressed with this tuning idea that they took from Slingerland conga drums.....as said above it's nothing new..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Looks like a marketing trick to sell even more congas to a whole new generation that is not aware this has been done before.
I can see some people trying to retrofit their drums with the new hardware and paying quite a bit. Do not like the idea or the
design and I do not see any benefit to the sound either. They just lifted this one like they did comfort rims back in the day
and called it their innovation.
RitmoBoricua

Postby jorge » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:38 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have never had a problem with "spinning" the drum around to tune the far side lugs. In fact I never had any of the "problems" they mention in their video. The one problem I have had that this design does fix is the black lube/metal from the threads of the lugs that gets on white pants when I play. No matter how well I clean the threads, they seem to still accumulate that ground metal and lube mix pretty quickly and stain pants. That should not happen with this design. But they don't seem to have thought of that, maybe it has been a while since the product development and marketing people at LP have played regularly. Or maybe they don't have white pants.
One additional problem I see with this design is that it uses thinner lugs with 7/16" nuts. The reason for thicker lugs with the 9/16" nuts is not because they bend, but rather because the thicker lug has more thread area and it takes longer to wear out the threads. Although the new lugs are straight, how many of us have had problems with the traditional ?-shaped lugs? I have not bent a lug since I had an old old Valje about 30+ years ago. The new straight lugs, however, will tend to wear out their threads faster. You can bet replacements will be more expensive than the old style lugs too. Especially replacing the new style rim. "Progress", "Innovation", "problem solving", ... I guess we will vote with our credit cards, let's see how long this line lasts.
jorge

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Hello!

Nice to see guys from LP working out a better and smoother way to improve and make easier playing and tuning congas ;)

The only new gadget for congas i would dig is ''beam these heavy sisters from my car to stage, Scottie!''

Merry christmas guys!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby pavloconga » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi guys,
I checked out the video.
I was really interested to see what they came up with, as I thought maybe they'd come up with a revolutionary new tuning system.

My mind even began to run a little wild: I thought perhaps they've engineered a way of tuning all the lugs at once, or a way maintaining a particular tuning on a drum or between drums on rawhide heads (I can see it now - microprocessors installed into the body of conga with an LED readout and a remote control. You choose the tuning you want between all your Bluetoothed congas, choosing from the classic tuning set-ups of Legendary congueros like say, Patato, Mongo Santamaria, or Anga's tuning on 5 congas) :). (I know... I was getting carried away...)

But frankly, I was underwhelmed... :(

I really don't see any advantage with this system.
There may be the odd occasion where it's useful, but definitely not when you're playing seated (like they claim) or if you are playing 2 congas on stands side by side, or 3 congas spread out- that's a crock.

The only instance I can think of where it may have been useful for me was playing a 4 conga set-up on stands. However, no big deal, just a minor inconvenience. I did not have to remove my drums from the stands like they claim. I simply moved the 2 stands apart a little so I could get access to the lugs in the middle of the 4 congas to re-tune.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel in the marketing department?

cheers
and happy new year
I hope everyone's had a great Christmas
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby Derbeno » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:22 pm

Why bother to spin your precious babies around or copy Slingerland's 40 year old design.

This is how Go-Go Mikey tunes his tubs :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOGEqs7 ... re=channel

He's done tuning 4 drums within a minute!
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Jibaro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:48 pm

pavloconga wrote:
I really don't see any advantage with this system.
There may be the odd occasion where it's useful, but definitely not when you're playing seated (like they claim) or if you are playing 2 congas on stands side by side, or 3 congas spread out- that's a crock.

He's talking about 2 or 3 drums on a double stand or a rack, that's the odd occasion.

R
Jibaro

Postby onile » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Derbeno wrote:Why bother to spin your precious babies around or copy Slingerland's 40 year old design.

Attachments
make-it-stop.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby papichombo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:30 am

A new answer to a nonexistent problem!
papichombo

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:44 am

Derbeno wrote:Why bother to spin your precious babies around or copy Slingerland's 40 year old design.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Next

Return to News