Solid Wood Requinto for sale

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Solid Wood Requinto for sale

Postby Manito » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 pm

I just posted a solid shell Tulip Poplar (aka Canoe Wood) Requinto on Ebay. It is hand-made by me and features an American Steerhide head (specially processed solely for me), Rubber bottom to protect floors, and my hand made polished Stainless Steel Lug Extenders so she never runs out of room to tune. The hardware is black enameled hardened steel for strength and long life. Check it out, this little Rumba Quinto really screams!
Manito

Re: Solid Wood Requinto for sale

Postby roberthelpus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Oh well, I guess that I'll just make it my job to be that guy.

Would you like to post a link to the auction?
roberthelpus

Postby juancho » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Or post pictures for those who are blocked from ebay at work?
juancho

Postby Manito » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
Manito

Postby Manito » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Three more pics...
Attachments
5.jpg
7.jpg
After.jpg
Manito

Postby CongaTick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Though not in the market, this is beautifully, lovingly crafted.
CongaTick

Postby juancho » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Manito...........esta violentizzzimo papa!!!......you got something going bro.......any other projects you're working on? Where are you?
juancho

Postby Manito » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Muchisimas gracias Asere! Thank you both! I'm in Athens, GA. I'm currently working on all solid shell congas in the Del Cielo style for now until I get further along with my own hardware. Still in the early stages right now, but my website and steady conga production will be coming soon. Still working on wood sourcing, I use only trees that are already being cut by tree services or for commercial clearing. The logs I use would otherwise be chipped up for chicken house bedding. I'm trying to keep everything as Environmentally Friendly as possible, using Ultra-Low VOC water based clear coats and replanting 2 trees for every one I use.

Unas fotos de varios jicamo:
Attachments
My 4.jpg
Roughed Out.jpg
Manito

Postby juancho » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Manito wrote:Muchisimas gracias Asere! Thank you both! I'm in Athens, GA. I'm currently working on all solid shell congas in the Del Cielo style for now until I get further along with my own hardware. Still in the early stages right now, but my website and steady conga production will be coming soon. Still working on wood sourcing, I use only trees that are already being cut by tree services or for commercial clearing. The logs I use would otherwise be chipped up for chicken house bedding. I'm trying to keep everything as Environmentally Friendly as possible, using Ultra-Low VOC water based clear coats and replanting 2 trees for every one I use.

Unas fotos de varios jicamo:

Manito,
Beautiful bro..........te mande un mensaje privado
juancho

Postby pcastag » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:48 am

Nicw atuff bro, wod is just awesome, beautiful grain and colors!
pc
PC
pcastag

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Nice looking Tambores.
Manito please correct me if I’m wrong, but the symmetry appears to be off on this drum, specifically in the center, is it the actual drum or do my eyes deceive me?
Attachments
5.jpg
KING CONGA

Postby seisporocho1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:07 am

True, it looks like it's off the symmetry around the belly. Regardless, Manito, I look forward to see you do more work. Being in Florida, you'd officially be the closest craftsman to me and it could easily turn into a road trip to check these beautiful drums.
Cheers!
6x8
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby Ifakoyede » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:43 pm

not only is is not symmetrical but the skin looks like it could use some work . Bad tuck and pretty much looks like its supper thin to fat across... not a huge deal just that the drum will not tune 100%. for 100 bucks maybe a nice drum to bang around with.
Odabo,
Fakoyede
Ifakoyede

Postby Manito » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Yes, the center of the drum is not symmetrical on one side due to the log being just a bit smaller than I needed. The pic with the brown side facing is where there was a little bark left so I peeled it. It is structurally very sound and that spot doesn't cause any problems. Many people have commented that it adds to the looks, but to each his own. The tuck is perfectly even all the way around, not sure what you're referencing there - about 2 inches came out straight and may look like it is lower than the rest, but it is all even. The skin is a little thinner on one side of the tuck, (3mm thin side vs 4 mm thicker side), but only below the bearing edge so the playing surface is even thickness @ 3.5mm.

This one was a prototype I cut to test out the Poplar wood. I used a crown hoop from an Afro quinto and sideplates I had made for me a while ago just to get it tuned up tight. It really screams as a nice little rumba quinto and has been used as the quinto for a set of Walnut Del Cielo tubs. It has equal volume (though it's a full inch shorter) and a warmer tone with less ring and it blended in with them very nicely on a salsa gig.

These 4 in the following pic are the first representatives of what my work looks like. The skins are still wet in this pic, so they look a bit thicker than they will be, but it is some nice thick skin, which is my personal preference, again, to each his own.

Mucho Aché and Happy Holidays!

Manito
Attachments
P1030868.JPG
Manito

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:40 am

Very Nice work Manino. A few buddies and myself need to pack up and take a road trip this summer to see this stuff in person. Keep up the fine work and we will support your fine work.

Jerry
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Next

Return to News