Sabian / Gon Bops. Lets progress & improove Gon Bops !

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Sabian / Gon Bops. Lets progress & improove Gon Bops !

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Sabian / Gon Bops ! I am thrilled that perhaps Sabian can address the product improvements to the new Gon Bops drums & percussion acessories & hard wares in efforts to retain musical qualities as well as correct the design flaws that are often the cause for failed / broken / damaged instruments that inspired me to re design solutions to these problems in Latin drums. Latin drums are still crude constructs and the market is ripe with lame models that have not evolved much since the 1960's. Those that seem evolved, are usualy over built, heavy and less tonal. Asian made models are becomming cookkie cutter copies of flawed designs. I have sent out a letter to Andy Sabian of Sabian, to introduce myself & offer my insights & concerns regarding the Gon Bops products. In all...I only like the Gon Bops California series of congas since they are the only GB product w/ design corrections that improve the drums. Most notably is the 1/2 round profile shape of a traditional style crown that Akbar ( former drum builder w/ the original Vaje company ) borrowed from the FAT Congas from the 1970's, and is also found on Sol brand & Volcano brand now. I have issues w/ Gon Bops mediocre timbales & lame conga mount bracket used as a timbale mount located on the drum shell & the shell design & tuning system as well. The Gon Bops bongo still has a weak thin shell that is prone to cracking, but it has a stronger bottom base ring w/ improved alignment with the tuning hook which is equal to other brand models. The Gon Bop line of bells are to much like CB 700 entry level bells and the chromed Alex Acuna bells are suffering from the plating and the welded on clamp which chokes the bells & is troublesome to use. ( wrong direction of design ). I love the Gon Bops /Atempo cajons from Peru that bears the GB /Acuna name but those cudos are solely to Atempo's traditional peruvian cajon. I'd like to see the basic cajon size more than just the larger Acuna model ( which I used to see Zambo Cavero & other playing ) And Atempo's Flamingo model w/ snare cords properly located sounds great as well. Many cajons have to much snare & interferes w/ the variety of cajon voices. I hope to involve myself w/ Sabian to address these and other issues to improve the Gon Bops product line & see Gon Bops evolved beyond the recycled poor designs from other brands. If ...with any luck and support, I can help Sabian regarding Gon Bops & if my own designs are used, they will also elevate future designs of Latin & American drums. So many builders are still copying old flawed designs from a bygone era. Some high quality builders are improved but only equal to competing Asian made models in some features while lacking insights to take it to the next logical advancement. Wish me luck ! ? I am trying ! Ernesto Pediangco 2/8/2011
Ernesto's 70's Gon Bops.jpg
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to News