NO MORE LATIN JAZZ CATEGORY FOR THE GRAMMY'S!!!..

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

NO MORE LATIN JAZZ CATEGORY FOR THE GRAMMY'S!!!..

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:33 pm

N.A.R.A.S. National Academy of Arts and Sciences has ELIMINATED THE LATIN JAZZ CATEGORY for the Grammy's...I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS..IF I WAS PANCHO SANCHEZ, EDDIE PALMIERI AND ALL THE OTHER WINNERS OVER THE YEARS AND BOYCOTT, EMAIL,TWIT,SIGN PETITIONS, PHONE CALLS TO THE ACADEMY AND DEMAND THEY RE INSTITUTE THE LATIN JAZZ CATEGORY...ARE THEY CRAZY???...LATIN JAZZ IS THE ONLY OTHER FREE FORM OF MUSIC OUTSIDE OF JAZZ HERE IN AMERICA...AND TODAY I DONT EXIST?...OR THE MUSIC I BRING TO THE TABLE....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I AM PISSED!!!...
JohnnyConga

Re: NO MORE LATIN JAZZ CATEGORY FOR THE GRAMMY'S!!!..

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm

While I would agree with eliminating the gender-based categories, I also find it ill-advised and extremely short-sighted to relegate World Music to one sole category, and downright insulting to eliminate the Latin Jazz category. Who makes these decisions? How does this serve the field?

John Santos
Five time Grammy nominee in various categories including Latin Jazz and Traditional World that are both now eliminated.

Begin forwarded message:

>
> NARAS which is the governing organization for the Grammy's has announced
> today that they have eliminated the Latin Jazz category. Over the
> years, I have had thoughts that NARAS wouldn't recognize a musical note
> if it hit them in their face. I have, up until now, given NARAS the
> benefit of the doubt, but, now they have proved to me and the rest of
> the global musical world that they don't know what music is or where it
> comes from. Latin Jazz is a genre deeply rooted in the history of Jazz
> and our country. By eliminating it is like telling Tito Puente and
> Dizzy Gillespie that their musical contributions were worth zilch or
> less. Excuse me NARAS, but it is due to your lack of knowledge of music
> that has caused the music business to be in the shape it is today.
> Please stop telling us that NARAS is giving back by conducting music
> education programs for the youth of America. What could NARAS possibly
> be teaching? For sure it isn't Latin Jazz. This is simply insulting to
> our intelligence and worse it is a prevarication. By eliminated Latin
> Jazz from the Grammy's proves that you, NARAS are the cause of the
> demise. Sincerely, Randy Klein, President Jazzheads -- A NEW YORK CITY
> BASED MUSIC LABEL.

__._,_.___
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 pm

That is fcukin farcical :evil: A disgrace ...
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 am

lame.
bongosnotbombs

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:23 am

We do have what is called the Latin Grammys , and there is a Latin Jazz caregory there. We Latins are lucky to have something we shouldn't , as the Grammuy are the Grammys an American thing. or should there be European Grammys or African Grammys ?? WE Latins should have our own awards and rename them diffrently .

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Chupacabra » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:52 am

Aaaahhhh the politics of the music biz! If you can even call it "politics".

I don't know too much about it myself, don't get me wrong. As a lowly consumer/listener/fan/hobbyist/aspiring player I have often looked skyward and asked "WHY?" when I hear some of the music that is so popular these days, and so heavily promoted by the Western music industry. It is very complicated like so many things in this world now. Most of us don't have the time to try to lake sense of it unless one happens to be directly involved in the industry. I believe that there must be a lot of very disgruntled artists out there who really wish that they could play the kind of music that they want but the industry won't let them in if they don't tow the line. I guess it's called selling your soul.

All I can do is try to put a positive spin on this and perhaps ask "Could this be the next step in an evolutionary process of what we call "World Music?" Look at the scope of it now, I mean the world is so small now that we can see videos of Rwandan tribesmen performing in their village on the internet! How can one Governing Body (should we consider the Grammy Award Academy a governing body?) claim to be the official authority on what music is worthy and what isn't? Really.

If I may contradict myself a little here, let me say that the World of Music is much, much bigger than the Academy Awards and that there are more and more people who aren't really all that concerned with who gets a Grammy and who doesn't. Many of the bands of whose music I have recordings of probably don't even know or care what a Grammy Award is!

But, to each their own I guess. I remember the outrage I felt when the band Jethro Tull won the award for "Top Metal Band" back in the eighties. It seemed important to me at the time.

One other point, Latin music is extremely popular not only in the Western Hemisphere. There are Latin influenced bands in Japan, Africa (especially Senegal!), all over Europe and Russia. Aren't there any other big-name award ceremonies in other parts of the world in which Latin music is celebrated? If there isn't, then maybe there should be!

Edit: Olsongo beat me to the punch on my last point.
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Gallichio » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 am

I'm not upset it's just a pop contest anyway. I think they should eliminate the grammy's and let the music speek for it's self.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Derbeno » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Who can name the Latin Grammy award winner or any category winner from 2 years ago?
I doubt if any of us can. Therein lies the answer regarding these awards.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 am

LATIN JAZZ Category REMOVED

from the GRAMMYS

To All,

If you don’t know it by now, NARAS, the organization that administers the GRAMMY Awards has announced a consolidation of categories. This included the deletion of the Latin Jazz Category. To say the least, this announcement by NARAS has not been a pretty situation and it is ongoing. The NY Times, Daily News, Village Voice, Bruce Lundvall, president of Blue Note, to name a few have all chimed in on why this decision was made and how insulting it is to the musicians who play in this genre as well as the labels who release this important musical form. An open meeting to the members of NARAS on April 10, 2011, in NYC saw the embarrassing and sad moment of the great Latin Jazz pianist Eddie Palmieri, pleading with Neal Portnow, the president of NARAS to reinstate the category. Please peruse the following links and watch the video of the meeting (A Grammy Scar).

This is an unfortunate situation for musicians and labels that play and release the vibrant art form. The answer to why the decision was made has emerged as a boilerplate statement that is being read by NARAS executives. Everyone from NARAS seems to be instructed to stay on message. But the 'why?' is a bit vague and a bit mysterious.

I have been a member of NARAS since 1977. I was proud of the fact that I had earned the right to vote for the GRAMMY Awards. I am not anymore. To quote David Hajdu from a post in The New Republic, “The problem with the Grammys, as with the Oscars, is that the voting pool is stocked with insiders susceptible to all sorts of influences, including the human need to eat and, accordingly, keep one’s job. The best solution may be to continue in the spirit of the new cuts in categories. With 31 now gone, there are only 78 to go to eliminate the Grammys and complete the fix.”

Jazzheads will continue to release Jazz and Latin Jazz CDs and the audiences will know where to come to find the music.

Randy Klein
President

A Grammy Scar

New York Times "Grammy Chief Defends Award Cuts"
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/arts/ ... mys&st=cse

NY Daily News "Music giants rip Grammys for ditching Latin jazz category"
http://www.nydailynews.com/latino/2011/ ... zz13v.html

Village Voice "Latin Jazz Heavyweights Protest Grammy Snub"
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... harlow.php

New Republic "Grammys: 31 Gone, 78 to Go"
http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-famous-door ... cho-valdes

WebTV
http://www.veetle.com/index.php/profile/376563061

Randy Klein Blog "NARAS side steps Latin Jazz Grammy issue"
http://randyklein.tumblr.com/post/45591 ... ammy-issue

From Randy Klein, Jazzheads Records "NARAS Eliminates Latin Grammy Category"
http://randyklein.tumblr.com/post/43977 ... in-grammy-
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:52 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Quinto Governor II » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

The further you get away from the original source of art the greater the impact or influence of politics and economics on it - I suppose. Cherish the moments we have to experience art in its natural setting. On the other hand I understand the need of artist to be acknowledged and recognized, and can sympathize with thier feeling of being slighted. As a consumer, I recall how I felt when Latin Jazz was eliminated from the Music Choice radio service that's part of my cable TV service.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Leedy there are a LOT of radios stations playing Latin music of all kinds including my show, Sabor and Musica de la Raza which are the other 2 shows at my station..There are many many Latin music radio shows around the country...YES times have changed..should we allow our musical history to be discarded or ignored by the Academy?..I think not...as the "Latin Rep"(an unpaid gig) for the Pacific Northwest chapter i am ready to relinquish my position and no longer financially support the Academy and whether anyone knows or cares the "movement' to re-in state the Latin Jazz and World Music category is on it's way around the country and an Investigation in to the practices of the Academy are also going to be scrutinized by 'our' Lawyers...this is serious stuff people..what's next? what more will they take away from us? You cannot wipe out 70 years of music or the artists that represented that music..it is "musical genocide!"....WE musicians and artists need to come together on this ..there is a petition to be signed and meetings that are going to be held in different cities...the next one is in San Fransisco...Please connect with John Santos on his Facebook page to find out more details, as he has become a spokesperson for this situation. Last weeks meeting was a farce with Neil Portnow(head of the Academy) they wouldnt even let Larry Harlow in to the meeting claiming it was RSVP only!..r u (*&^%$# kidding me?...Eddie Palmieri got in only after someone "inside' recognized him...and he's a 9 time Grammy winner...Eddie termed what the Academy has done, as HIS "Grammy Scar!"....please guys and gals show your support for an 'original' Latin American musical art form that we grew up on, that I continue to support thru my radio show and other media...Thank you, Mil Gracias, Modupue, Merci Boucoup, Domo Arigato....Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Im not talking about Latin RADIO stations..Im talking about all the ONLINE Latin music shows and there are hundreds now around the world playing Latin music on line..who the hell listens to radio anymore????...it's all online now..and my show can be heard around the world at anytime day or night with a laptop or PC...of course I remember and knew Symphony Sid , Dick Ricardo Sugar Show, and the others..and yes they are all gone..replaced by new media..it's the future Bro..it's one thing to complain about the situation, and another to do something about it...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonimo

Next

Return to News