New York Jams/Gigs?

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Re: New York Jams/Gigs?

Postby jorge » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Great rumba performance tonight 8/4/17 at 33 Lafayette Lounge, 33 Lafayette Ave, Brooklyn, NY. Melvis Santa and Ashedi, with some of the best Cuban percussionists in the US, Roman Diaz, Miguelo Valdes, Yusnier Sanchez, Rafael Monteagudo, Clemente Medina, with Melvis Santa and Maximo Valdes singing. Sets at 7 and 9 pm. No cover.
jorge

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:55 am

jorge,
I went to the Zinc Bar last night for the Rumba show, it was really good! They got started late, around 10:45pm. The group was tight, the vocalists were on point. In the middle of the show, this cat came in and sat in on quinto. Man, he made that drum sing! I'll definitely be back next Thursday. Thanks again for the heads-up on this!
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 am

jorge wrote:Great rumba performance tonight 8/4/17 at 33 Lafayette Lounge, 33 Lafayette Ave, Brooklyn, NY. Melvis Santa and Ashedi, with some of the best Cuban percussionists in the US, Roman Diaz, Miguelo Valdes, Yusnier Sanchez, Rafael Monteagudo, Clemente Medina, with Melvis Santa and Maximo Valdes singing. Sets at 7 and 9 pm. No cover.

Gosh! I caught this post too late. I would have definitely made it out to Brooklyn. Do you know if they're there weekly? Thanks again!
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby jorge » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Yeah, the Zinc Bar rumba on Thursday was nice. You are probably referring to Yusnier Sanchez who sat in on quinto. Stevie Insua who was dancing and sat in on tumbador was also inspired. I was playing tres dos most of the night and Diosvany Valladares sat in on tumbador and tres dos. We are there every Thursday night, the calendar says 10 pm but we sometimes start later, and usually end by 12 or 12:30.

The rumba at 33 Lafayette Lounge in Brooklyn last night was off the hook. Roman had another gig and couldn't make it but Anier Alonso from Conjunto Folklorico Nacional played and sang great. They will be there next Friday 7 and 9 pm, right across Lafayette Ave from BAM, no cover, great food. I will be out of town and can't make it.

The weather should be nice for the Central Park rumba tomorrow.
jorge

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:34 pm

jorge, that was you on tres dos??? I had no idea, next time I'll say hello. Yes, everyone was great and the music was awesome. Hey, who was the woman on vocals? She has a beautiful voice! I'll try to make lafayette next Friday. Looking forward to finding the rumba tomorrow in Central Park!
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby jorge » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:05 am

Yeah, I usually play tres dos. Melvis Santa was singing, she is a professional singer from Cuba. She is also the leader of the rumba next Friday at 33 Lafayette. I wish I could go, but I will be out of town.
I hope to see you at the Zinc Bar rumba next Thursday.
To find the Central Park rumba, if you enter the park at 72nd St on the West side, follow the road down to the right, cross the main park road at the light and continue going east past the Daniel Webster statue. Make the next left turn up toward a fountain plaza and listen for the drums, then follow your ears down to the lake and the benches. From the East side, continue west past the stairs down to the fountain, and make a right up into the smaller fountain plaza, then as above.
The rumba usually starts around 5 and goes until the cops shut us down at 10. I won't be at the park tomorrow, going to see Pupy y Los que Son Son at the Highline Ballroom. Have fun.
jorge

Postby jorge » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:58 am

The rumba led by Melvis Santa at 33 Lafayette Lounge is on for next Friday Oct 27, 2017. Should be every Friday after that but sometimes it gets changed. This is a small but great rumba, usually with Melvis, Maximo Valdes and Roman Diaz on vocals, plus Clemente Medina and sometimes Onel Mulet, Anier Alonso, Diosvany Valladares and me, personnel sometimes change. The club is a nice little lounge serving food and drinks, across Lafayette Ave from the Brooklyn Academy of Music in downtown Brooklyn/Fort Green. We usually start around 8 and play 1 set. No cover. Email me at gfj7 "at" optonline "dot" net on Thursday to confirm that it is on, the schedule sometimes changes and the website is not up to date.
jorge

Previous

Return to News