RIP Chuck Silverman

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

RIP Chuck Silverman

Postby danno » Fri May 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Rest in Peace Chuck Silverman

From the Musicians Foundation Blog: It is with deep sadness that Musicians Institute acknowledges the passing of long time Drum Program faculty member Chuck Silverman. Chuck passed away suddenly today from unknown causes. Information for memorial services and further details are pending at this time.

The entire MI family expresses its heartfelt condolences to the loved ones, friends, co-workers and students of Chuck and to the Silverman family.
danno

Re: RIP Chuck Silverman

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 02, 2014 5:48 pm

I have just received an email that my long time friend, drummer Chuck "Palito" Silverman, passed away suddenly last night...we had been planning on doing a clinic in Miami at the new South Florida Center for Percussive Arts this was unexpected...he never mentioned any type of illness to me and I knew Chuck for over 30 years....man this is too much ...Thank you Chuck for your musical and rhythmic contributions to the music...Chuck was in the process of finishing up his Documentary on Cuban Rumberos...I hope somebody can help to finish it for him now...he will be sorely missed...RIP Chuck...luv u guy!...
chuck.jpg
chuck.jpg (7.51 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
JohnnyConga

Re: Chuck Silverman

Postby Isaac » Sat May 03, 2014 8:53 am

Chuck worked with such dedication and focus as a drum educator. Latin drumset was his favourite, although he
was also great at Funk, Jazz, Rock and Brasilian drumset.
He was an early bridge for the rest of us to learn about Cuban percussion and was instrumental in getting
Changuito's Timbale book published.

I remember once calling him when he still lived in Florida. He had Changuito staying with him as a guest while they worked
on Changuito's book. He said he was "locked" in his practice room for an hour trying to achieve a good
slap on a conga. Changuito told him not to come out till he gets it, meanwhile Changuito is in his house chillin and consuming
Chuck's beer. We had a good laugh.

His last project was about to begin editing phase of a documentary - "Keepers of the Flame".
I hope someone will carry on, finish it and spread Chuck's love of the Cuban drumming traditions, which began
in his youth in Miami. There was no one like him, as strong a communicator for the music
we all love. Chuck knew it was about more than drumming, it was about enhancing the quality of life.
He worked hard, and something tells me Chuck won't be resting in his next phase.

~ Isaac Gutwilik
Isaac

Return to News