Up-coming workshops, shows, tours.. - ... how to handle?...

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:47 pm

THANKS Ray ...it is difficult all over the U.S. for all percussionists. We are not given our due ..as they say in the business.."last hired-first fired"....I don't like the ones out there that are "shamming" there way through playing. I just wish they would get out of "my business" so I can have a musical life. I have asked the musicians here why they are playing at all, and they give me "for the love" bullshit. Hey I'm all for love but I need to get paid,in "my business". Others don't have an answer at all. So why are they playing???? Oh well,NEXT!....Peace and Congas....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ???
Johnny Conga

Postby whammy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:18 am

Oops... I hadn't read your latest posts, and thought everything was cool in Seattle. Your later comments seem more along the lines of what I thought Seattle might be like. :(

You'd probably think of me as a "shammer", but I don't try to pass myself of as a percussionist first and foremost, I'm a guitarist who also plays some percussion (and I'm just learning, but picking it up prety fast) and some wind instruments. :) I definitely agree with you on the money aspect, though. I can't understand anyone that would play for free, unless they just suck. I don't play FREE gigs unless it's for a special cause (like some little girl that got hit in the eye by a paintball gun and needs eye surgery) or for a very very good friend's (or a band member's) party, and those are extremely infrequent. :p

I just think that playing congas when I don't really have a good part to play on guitar adds a lot to the music. But I'd pay a really good percussionist his equal share if that situation came up, we'd just have to charge a little more. It would be worth it... I've found that you definitely get invited back to play in places when people continually get up and dance. And nothing can make people dance like a good rhythm section! :)

Edited By whammy on 1075171207
whammy

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:05 pm

Hi Whammy...well I just haven't met the right musicians here I guess. Saw a good "smooth Jazz"(hate the term) band last night and I was impressed until I saw the "so-called" conga player using "mallets" to play the congas...OOOOOOOOOOOOO
#### that does it to me, when I see that. So they said they were open for jamming and I went Up to play and somehow they knew who I was. They asked my what I wanted to play to and I said anything Jazz- funk Latin ... so they came up with Santana ugh and we played . I roused the audience with a conga solo and left them hollering for more. Hopefully they will call me back. I didn't go up to take the perc. gig, I happen to know the brother who was playing in the band, a nice guy, but dissapointed he didn't really play. I have a tendancy to make people nervous cause I raise the bar every time I play. Because of my profieciency on the drums, some cats are afraid to get close or just intimidated, and that's the way it is here in Seattle.......NEXT!......JC JOHNNY CONGA :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby whammy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:26 am

Ew... playing congas with mallets?!?

That's blasphemy!!!

But no matter how good someone is, it would never intimidate me, personally. I'm always open to learning new things. Playing with/listening to better players can only make one better, I'm sure you'd agree. Maybe some of those other people in Seattle need to figure that out. :)
whammy

Postby stlouieray » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:37 pm

I could see playing congas with mallets, BUT it would have to be for a small element of 1, or 2 tunes, for effect, vs playin all night like that.

On the whole, I agree.

Ray

:D
stlouieray

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:57 pm

I have a question....if you saw and heard some conga drummer that was really good wouldn't you want to "learn" from him? Here I can't keep students. They want to take one or 2 lessons and think they have learned all there is to learn about drumming. I dislike "hobbiest's",that try to play in bands without any experience or schooling and that seems to be happening here. Now don't get me wrong there are some good players, Ernesto Pediangco-Tom Bergeson-Tor Dietrekson-Steve Guasch-Chris Stromquist, up here in Seattle. But these guys either have day gigs or trust funds or inheritance or out right wealthy. There are over 10,000 millionares in Seattle you go figure. But it also has the highest unemployment in the country too. Me I'm just trying to get PAID!.....people hire their friends to play rather the musician that CAN play. Once again...the "Artists plight"!....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA............. :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby franc » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:23 am

johnny congas, como estas??? you posted me where i got your cd, well you send to me. hope your doing great in seatle . take care!!! mucho saludo desde p.r conguero mayor!! and by the way!! i'm with whammy, i feel that the congas should not be hit with mallets, is like an insult to its' beautiful sound. it's like playing timbales with out sticks. my best to you all in the forum!!, franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Previous

Return to The CongaZine