Hungaria "Carmelo" Garcia

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby tjaderized » Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Carmelo is my favourite timbale player.
I have the impression he is no longer alive - e.g. the Lord discography doesn't list any jazz sessions with him after 1990. Does anyone here know details about his later years, his passing, if it already occured, and other biographical details?
I found a website calling him "dominican" - does that means he was born in the Dominican republic?
Many thanks in advance!
mike
tjaderized

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 24, 2006 5:07 pm

Carmelo is an ol friend of mine and from what I know he is living in either Alabama or Louisiana...Yes he is Dominican...and one of the BADDEST and Craziest cats you ever want to meet.....he was very influential on my playing and we did get to work together in Florida once...and then never to be seen again....."JC" Johnny Conga....PS I have the only album he ever recorded under his own name...called "RIOT".....
JohnnyConga

THE GREAT CARMELO GARCIA

Postby JConga » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm

I have just received an email from my old friend Carmelo Garcia(former timbalero/drummer for Mongo Santamaria and others), is now back in Los Angeles and has created a New band...he is now 71 and still going strong...so for those that are in Los Angeles keep an ear open for any gigs with Carmelo's new band...it will be a smoker for sure....Johnny Conga...
JConga

Re: Hungaria

Postby tjaderized » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Great to hear he's still alive and kicking!

Thanks for the info - do you have more on that album of his, "Riot" - label etc.?
And please post when the new band is heard or records!
mike
tjaderized

"Carmelo Garcia"

Postby JConga » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:30 am

I just spent some time with Carmelo last week in Los Angeles, got a photo of us,will post when developed. He is well and still full of fire and ready to go...I also sat in with Fay Roberts and Orch.Charangoa (GREAT L.A. Charanga band), and also with Frank Cano(trumpet) and his Latin Jazz group playing alongside Victor Baez and 'my bro' Robertito Melendez, who is also a Volcano Percussion Artist....JOHNNY CONGA
Volcano congas.jpg
Volcano congas.jpg (3.21 KiB) Viewed 8025 times
JConga

CARMELO GARCIA TODAY!

Postby JConga » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm

IMG_0007.jpg
...... HERE'S THE MAN!....CARMELO GARCIA....and me....Johnny Conga
JConga

Return to The CongaZine