M. Santamaria Technique

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby +pablo+ » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:01 pm

I just got a hold of the 2-CD "Skin on Skin" Mongo Sanatmaria Anthology; Awsome!!

Looking at some of the liner pics, it appears that Mongo has the main conga tilted towards himself (even in the 'action' shot p.16). Is that really how he played ?

Also, is it true that "tumbadora," means literally "something that knocks you down", or "grave"? thanks!
+pablo+
+pablo+

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:38 pm

Another meaning for "Tumba" is "tomb" a grave...and yes Mongo being really ol skool tipped his conga in towards him and sat very low in his chair, which resulted in a hip replacement years later because of the way he "lifted" his conga to "palm" it...I studied and learned Mongo's style, from the man himself, he was a dear friend and he taught me a lot, just by watching....I can play just like him lick for lick, and I also show my students "his style"...."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... and_Me.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Saludos a todos,my brother JC,I back you up in relation of the meaning of the Tumbadora...but I cann't do it in relation to hip replecement..Mongo was part of the Accident suffered in Texas when touring with Perez Prado in the early 50's, his leg was injuried on several places and the DR. in the Hospital wanted to amputate his limb,(Mongo didn't speak english),it was thanks to a Puetorican touring with the 'Band,' which was there in the hospital and emphasized that Mongo was not just a 'Niger',but a gread musician from Cuba which was involved in an accident, and the Doctor changed its attitude and did operate Mongo's legs and hip..After that he have to go to several operations..That feature of lifting the Congas when playing is standart in all cuban/congeros when playing on a seat up position without a problem. Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1140120547
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:09 pm

JC!

That's why I'm so eager to get your CongaRobics, cause Mongo was truly One Of A Kind; by technique and GrooveMakin'!

Passing the Mongo's legacy and You the Passer... What an Honour indeed!

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby Berimbau » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm

I am a great believer in modernizing techniques for the tumbadoras, borrowing from Indian, African, Brasilian, and Arabic drumming, the implementation of rudiments, the mano secreto, etc. However, as much as I really admire Anga, Gio, Changuito, et. al....... I always come back to Mongo!!
No doubt these younger congueros are technically smarter and faster, but that is simply not enough to do the job!!! Many younger folks here would attribute this attitude to my advancing age, the fact that I'm an unabashed old school guy, or........... whatever.
But what continues to attract me to Mongo's music is his complete sense of musicianship, his very underated skills as a composer (have any of these new whiz kids actually written any lasting MUSIC?), and his greatness as a bandleader. By fusing the musical values of African-American Blues and Jazz with his own Afro-Cuban roots, Mongo's music attained a certain sabor which is woefully lacking in today's over-busy, often souless "Latin- Jazz." Alma was his primary ingredient, and Mongo's moyo or ashe always made the most powerful musical nkisi!!!

Hail Mongo!

Berimbau :cool:
Berimbau

Postby Isaac » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:05 am

Berimbau, I'm in total agreement with you.
You just had to hear Mongo's hand hit the skin,
and that was IT! You didn't need much more.
Nothing Flashy like today ... but
the pure sound of his drum. I saw him play
several times, and it was never enough.

~ ISAAC ~
Isaac

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm trying to download some music for u guys and it's not working ..any help here??...tks.."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:27 am

It is withthe greatest of sadness that I tell you that the GREAT DON ALIAS, was found dead in his apartment today in New York....Just Google his name Don Alias...he went as far back as playing with Miles Davis back in the 50's. He was a good friend of mine and I will miss his beautiful giving spirit and his love for the drum....R.I.P. Don...your buddy ..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:29 am

JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:00 am

YES, DON ALIAS. MAY HE REST IN PEACE. I LISTENED TO AN INTERVIEW OF HIS ON CONGAHEAD.COM, BRILLIANT MUSICIAN.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby congastu » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:46 pm

I saw don alias in leeds a few years ago, with alex acuna and giovanni hidalgo. don comes on to the stage, sits in front of the crowd and starts playing his knees. hes followed by alex tapping his cheeks and finally gio doing a solo on his belly! well, after that we were eating out of their hands. it was dons tour, but he was happy to sit back and groove and let gio do his thing- a true gentleman, very generous spirit great fun and a great player.
congastu

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 pm

May he rest in peace. A sad day indeed.

In the days when he was a young lion....

More recent times...

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby La Conguera » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 pm

+pablo wrote:Looking at some of the liner pics, it appears that Mongo has the main conga tilted towards himself (even in the 'action' shot p.16). Is that really how he played ?

Hi Pablo,

I saw and heard Mongo Santamaria playing here in Germany (I think it was around 1990 or 91), and he played just the way you said: with the conga tilted towards him! Imagine how astonished I was when I saw him do what my teachers had told me not to do and what I tell my students not to do! And all his fingers were completely and heavily taped with white tape! I´ll never forget the sight.
Mongo definitely was unique and when he died the world has lost a great musician!
La Conguera

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 am

Vas ist los? La Conguera.....Wellkommen CongaPlace Forum.....I'm and old Mannheimer..But WELCOME.....you will learn a lot here...Tell us a bit about you, please...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... HE_GIG.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Guys I have tracked down my videographer, I found him in Palm Springs working on a film site. He will be back next week and HOPEFULLY my New Learning DVD-"Conga-Robics" will be available. I am having a physical therapist come over(one of my students is 64 and he is in physical theraphy and told his doctor about it and the doc wants to chek it out) and critique my Conga-Robics and the physical attributes that it brings to one playing the drum. He will check my heart rate and other things and maybe he will "endorse" it....trust me I have developed a "true" workout on congas, you will sweat and your arms will "buff up" when doing Conga-Robics . I just want it done, been talking about it too long....THANK you ALL for your patience...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to The CongaZine