M. Santamaria Technique

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby La Conguera » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Hello JohnnyConga,

thank you for your "Willkommen" (and even in German)! Nice to hear you are an "old Mannheimer"! :D

You asked me to tell something about myself. Don´t know wether this is the right thread to do so, but if not - please move the posting to the right place.

I found this forum a few weeks ago and was impressed by the number of interesting postings here! You are quite right: there is a lot one can learn here!

In 1982 I saw Mustapha Tettey Addy, the masterdrummer from Ghana, in a concert and was so fascinated by this music that I started to learn african drumming immediately! Later I also got interested in latin rhythms and congas, then came brazilian percussion - well, you all know how it works: once started you want to learn more and more, it never really stops...

My most important teachers were Aja Addy, Frankie Malabé (both died much too soon!!!) and John Santos, but I also studied with some others when they came to Germany, like Milian Gali, Amancio Batta, Gilson de Assis...

I played with several bands, did some drumming in churches (which was quite unusual in Germany in the eighties!) started teaching in 1988 (I worked with adults, mentally handicapped children, elderly people, in schools, churches... - I like to play with everybody who wants to learn and has fun).

Well, I think that´s enough for now! So HAPPY EASTER to everybody!
La Conguera

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:40 pm

HI Conguera ....I played with these bands when I lived in Germany from 69 to 72.......The Avantgards....The Group of Soul....Tommy Harris and the Faboulous Upsetters.....The Afro-Directions.....Johnny Wilder(HeatWave).....and a few others....from Munich to Hamburg.....I LOVE GERMANY!...I wish to go back to where I used to live in Lampertheim, they tell me it's like all condos now ..when I was there it was farm land....REAL farms.....I also lived mostly in Mannheim but had 3 different apartments in 3 places.....rent was real cheap back then.....a little of my German musical history...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:45 pm

I was in the studio for 6 hours yesterday laying down more traks and adding vocals to my NEW CD "Rompe La Parche!-Breakin Skin!". I have 9 tunes in the can but I need a few more. Most of the tunes are from 2 to 5 minutes. I am playing everything on this CD, at the moment . I plan on bringing in a Batalero-Steve Cherena and play some BataRumba, also. I also have a few solo snippets on 2 3 and 4 congas and one with my "Conga-Robics" approach on 3 congas. I guarentee that this CD will have u moving and jammin!.....ps My video guy called me ,but he is on the move again..SHIT!!....I WANT IT DONE!!..... :angry: ..............."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D ..How the #### do I download music here?...I feel dumb!....I forgot how....duh....
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:02 am

Excellent news on the progression of the project JC.
As for the video guy, if his absence is a hinderance, can you use a second/another guy to complete it?

Anyway, as for uploading music onto here (downloading is when you get it from the net, to your computer :;): ) the file is most likely way too big for this site to host it.
Best option is to get your music hosted onto a website and then link it here for playback or download.
For this forum, the Maximum file size (in bytes) is 5120000

Anything bigger wont load.

Goodluck with your work brother.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1146283472
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 03, 2006 4:38 pm

HALLELUJAH!! my videographer is coming over tomorrow and Im going to try and see if I can finish it...but I have so much to put on it, still.... I got 9 tunes on my CD done and maybe another 5 tunes to go.....most of the tunes are short rhythm arrangements, from "street rumba" to Bata and some surprises, I hope....so that is where Im at right now.....getting closer..... :D ..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 pm

NOTICIA....NEWS.....I am taking "pre-sale" orders for my NEW Learning DVD-"CongaRobics"-The Johnny Conga Way.....for CongaPlace members it is being sold for $30.oo plus S&H for 2 DVD's, otherwise it would be $20.oo for each DVD plus S&H. These DVD's will be at least an hour long each...featuring "LIVE" performances of me on Congas-Bata-Timbales-Vibraphone and shekere, PLUS BLOOPERS, yea I can sometimes be funny too... :D a plethera of rhythms and styles, drum philosophy, mounting a skin on a drum,and a whole lot more, and my "CongaRobics" technique definetly is a "cardiovascular" workout on 3 congas.....My NEW CD "Rompe La Parche-Breakin Skin!", will also be released at the end of June along with my DVD's.....THANK YOU ALL for being patient with me and my endeavors....you won';t be dissapointed....I believe there is something for everyone here whether a pro or not....and I do believe you may see some things on congas u may have not seen before....this is a very "informal' shoot in my attic studio DVD...so u will have the feeling your in the room with me....I had a rough script of what I wanted to do and just started shooting...hence the Bloopers, so that is something you will NEVER see on a DVD....at least not up to this point...Mil Gracias...."JC" Johnny Conga-Inventor of "CongaRobics" :D :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 08, 2006 11:22 pm

CHEK IT OUT....SEE POST ABOVE...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Ok Guys THANK YOU for your patience on my Learning DVD,s.. I am now in the final stage of editing, then I have to shoot the mounting of a skin on a drum and then final editing and its done....Right now once again I am waiting on my videographer/editor/partner, who is now in the middle of "Ozzie Fest" here in Washinton. so he will be available for me on July 3rd and then hopefully it will be all done when we get back together on July 3rd or a bit afterwards....I want to THANK ALL THOSE THAT HAVE SENT ME THERE PRE SALE ORDERS....IT';S ALMOST THERE GUYS....Just a bit longer....down the line I also expect to do another DVD a bit more advanced, but that is down the road a bit....paz/peace...Gracias a todos..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi Guys..just to keep u updated.....My videographer will be doing a "rough cut edit" this week(we met today,finally). Then I will go into his studio to do the "final cut" with him.....Once again I THANK/GRACIAS everyone for being patient, while I do this....it's not as simple as it may seem....once again I am still taking "pre-sale" orders. If interested please email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com with your full name and address...Everyone will be notified when it is ready to go!.....Gracias..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Hey guys and gals Sorry my DVD.s are not ready yet. It is more work than i imagined.. It IS in the "final' editing phases and there is much to do after that,as far as getting the DVD,s done (contents-labeling-etc.) then manufacturing, which could take up to 2 more weeks to get done. So I want to THANK EVERYONE FOR BEING PATIENT WITH MY PROJECT!...it's almost there, I promise..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D PS ...for those New members just read about it on my prior posts on this page...Thanks again.... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 80-JC5.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:05 pm

Sorry I am having a hard time downloading photos????? Abakua what is the routine again for dowloading fliks, please, (for the stupid in me)... :D I have donethis before but for some reason I'm doing something wrong here...i will keep trying .... ??? Lets see if this works now.."JC" Johnny Conga...Nope it's not working AUCELIO!..... :(
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Sorry I am having a hard time downloading photos????? Abakua what is the routine again for dowloading fliks, please, (for the stupid in me)... :D I have donethis before but for some reason I'm doing something wrong here...i will keep trying .... ??? Lets see if this works now.."JC" Johnny Conga...Nope it's not working AUCELIO!..... :(

:D :D :D :D :D

Oye brother email me the pic you wanna post, I'll check it out...

If not, try the following...

Your pics need to be reduced in KB/bytes.

I normally reduce them to under 100KB, normally around 35KB - 60KB.
Makes it easier to upload the image, the smaller in KB or bytes the quicker the image will load onto the site.
If your pic is too big (bitmap is notorious for it, use JPEG) it wont load to the site.
Download an "image resizing" program from the net. All you need to do to resize, is right click with your mouse over the file or pic, then select RESIZE PICTURE and you select what you want to resize it to.

So, when posting a message, once image is of a easy size in KB (not dimensions):

1. You write your message.
2. Just above the "add reply" button, click on "Browse" button.
Select the image from whatever folder you have it in by double clicking on the file. This will add the directory from your pc to the site.
3. You will notice the directory address from your pc in the white box to the left of the "Browse" button.
4. Click on "Add Reply"

All the best.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:05 pm

One more time.....this maybe the cover to my New Learning DVD....."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 1-JC_5.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:09 pm

I did it but not to sure how hahahahahahahahahah soy bobo hahahahaha....not to be repeated, only by me...hahahahahaaha :D "JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 am

Cool pic brother.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The CongaZine