CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Re: CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

Postby Kaban » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 am

I did it! Today I got educated from Johnny Conga himself, he came all the way to my basement in Chicagoland (via the internet).

I have had lessons before; but John is more methodical, scientific, patience, and uses EVERYTHING known to man to teach (linguistics, standard teaching, NLP, concepts, gradual steps, positive encouragement, and demonstrations).

John has a talent for teaching; patiently/gently/nicely pushing you to your limit; I was burnt out after the hour and a half! He also spotted details in my technique that are poor, and things I do good that need polishing. After the lesson, he even gave me a history of a few popular conga players and their not well known practice habits. Today I got a college level, master's program lesson (meaning it was serious and comprehensive). All for the price of lesson from your local park district; in other words very reasonable.

I will never forget what he said, after showing him what I got; "your tumbao is good, but that don't mean nothing, now lets take you to the next level."
Kaban

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:45 pm

My new Online student from Michigan...Brad Matznick...
Brad and Congas .jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Here is Dr.Wayne Sinclair from London England who will be arriving on April 27th for the beginning of the 3 day World Rhythm Festival here in Seattle WA. who will start his Intensive on Monday the 30th for a week with me and the drum...
P1000960.JPG
I am also at this time accepting Online students as well. I can now come to you thru SKYPE...and this works!...like having me in the room with you...email or msg me privately here on Congaplace
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Another of my latest ONLINE students of the drum from North Carolina Mr. Ralph Cobb...I am available for teaching from beginners to intermediate. THIS REALLY WORKS!....email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com and let's do it!...
Picture 4.jpg
JohnnyConga

ONLINE CONGA DRUM LESSONS

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Any Newbies or anyone else interested in ONLINE Conga drum lessons?...let me know...This Works!...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Lessons With Johnny Conga

Postby busyflyin »
I took my first lesson tonight and I must say that I was very skeptical of taking lessons from someone that I really didn't know that lived thousands of miles from me, and then over the internet. But, I was very pleased with how it went. Johnny is an excellent teacher.. and patient. I've taken music lessons from some that have turned the lesson into their resume, but Johnny was very humble and focused on what was necessary to help me learn. We have some difficulties with "trails" or "hesitation" with the video for some reason, but I have a Mac and he is using a PC. I sometimes experience the same thing when watching Youtube videos so I attribute this issue to my computer. Johnny started by spending time making sure my drums were tuned properly and then he observed my approach with the drums. Then he worked me through a number of exercises that I can work on in my own time. It was clear that the exercises will help me develop good habits. I am very pleased and would gladly recommend JC for conga lessons. The computer video thing felt pretty natural and like he was almost in the same room. Msg me if you have any questions I can answer about my experience. Thanks JC!!
JohnnyConga

ONLINE CONGA DRUM LESSONS

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:57 pm

SPECIAL DISCOUNT FOR CONGAPLACE MEMBER NEWBIES for online conga drum lessons...let me know if your interested...I look forward to hearing from you. JC Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Toby Bender -Australia 2012-Online student.jpg
New Online student from Australia-Toby Bender...very good intermediate player...plays drum set as well, good independence...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Gavin Webber.jpg
Gavin Webber from New South Wales,Australia for his Conga Intensive at my home in Seattle,WA April 2012..
Gavin Webber.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyConga?feature=mhee My youtube.com channel...LOADS OF VIDEOS!....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:56 pm

George Donohue.jpg

Here is my latest online attendee from Scotland via England Mr. George Donohue..who starts his online learning today!..this works guys!..I can now come to you in the comfort of your home...whose next??....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Lessons With Johnny Conga

Post by Kaban » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:17 am
Hello all,

I just wanted to share a great lesson I received from JC this past Saturday afternoon. Naturally, we started with basic tone development, then mixing it up to get me moving and grooving all over the drum (one drum). There is no short cuts, and he is straight up about this, so he teaches this way. A sign of a man of great character.

Afterwards he educated me to the different ways some great conga players have approached the drums. His ability to drum at will like some legends is uncanny. He went over Mongo Santamaria, which true be told, I never liked, because when I first heard a tune of his back in the day, I thought he played lobby music. JC quickly corrected me, by answering my question of why I should listen to Mongo; he also introduced me to Spotify, where I subscribed to JC's playlist -tons of Mongo. I put on my headset that night, and i don't know if it's because i am older...but i LOVE the music. Not to mention the fact that Mongo's swing is amazing! I recommend to those lucky enough to get some classes by JC to also take advantage of the knowledge of the man by asking questions; it just might enrich your life, like it did for me. :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Wayne Sinclair from London England has "successfully" finished his week long Conga drum Intensive. He plans on returning sometime later this year to spend more time with me on the drum.He will be writing his review and experiences of his time with me, here on the Congazine..

Wayne Sinclair.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Johnny

Once again thanks for spending the time with me on the drum and doing it with great professionalism and with a genuine desire to help me. Honestly, I got more out of it than I ever imagined. I really enjoyed the total immersion experience and I found it very rewarding. Thanks for the very clear notes you made. I have copied them into a Word document....I am looking forward to working on these exercises now that I have been given a clearer path forward.

Also it was fascinating hearing about your musical career and the interesting insights about other notable artists in the industry and the development of music genres over the decades

Talk soon
Wayne

Wayne will also put a final review of his time with me soon-JC
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Latest testimonial from new online lessonaire, John DiNovo from Dallas TX...

"I've had 6 hours of lessons with JC so far and all I can say is IT WORKS! I was a little skeptical of the online thing, but JC is so organized and so knowledgeable about how to teach, learn, and play the drum that he can make corrections and suggestions that modify your sound and playing style right away. JC knows how to teach...period. He knows how to impart the skill he's developed over the years and is dedicated to sharing his knowledge. He is very structured, gives specific skill building exercises, and helps you climb the mountain of new learning. All the student needs to do is like to play the drum, listen to JC and follow his instruction, and practice. Worth every penny; I can't imaging changing at this point. "

John D. Dallas
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to The CongaZine