CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Re: CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Happy new year for all !!! Volcano Will be it imported in France? Because I would like to propose them an endorsment.
Laurent Lamy

Postby JConga » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Bonjour Laurant....u will have to contact Tom Alexander at volcanopercussion.com for any Endorsement information...Good Luck...."JC"JOHNNY CONGA
JConga

Postby JConga » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Here is what I teach ...

RHYTHMS:
1.Bolero 5 variations
2.Caballo with variations
3.Danzon
4.Yambu on conga drum
5.Guaguanco-6 variations
6.Rumba with variations/columbia/abierto 2 drums/one drum/NY street rumba
7.Abakua split hand style and one drum patterns
8.Plena split hand on congas
9.Bomba tradicional
10.Bambiche
11.Merengues with variations
12.Mozambique-New/Old skool
13.Cumbia with variations one drum and 2 drums
14.Bembe variations
15.Conga Comparsa with variations
16.Changui
17.Calypso
18.Bossa Nova with variations
19.Afro-Samba-and Samba on 2 congas
20.Songo with variatons-Basico/Changuito's
21.Pilon with variation
22.Iyesa with variations
23.6/8 basic with variations 1 2 and 3 drums
24.Tumbao in 7/4
25.Guarapachangeo with variations and concepts(2 3 4 5 congas)
26.Ritmo Pa Ca
27.Dengue
28.Jala Jala
29.Mongos tumbao's
30.Mongos merengue
31.Mongos Afro Blue with variations
32.Tumbaos-1-3 drum variations
33.Orisa wth variations
34. La Clave-2/3 3/2 Son Clave- 3/2 2/3 Rumba Clave
35.Chaonda
36.6/8 bell patterns on Conga drum-short bell and long bell
37.Counting and tapping
38.Reading for percussion
39.Music and Rhythm theory

40.CongaRobics(tm) with
Neuro Linguistic Programming(Neuro-Linguistic Programming™ was specifically created in order to allow us to do magic by creating new ways of understanding how verbal and non-verbal communication affect the human brain. As such it presents us all with the opportunity to not only communicate better with others, but also learn how to gain more control over what we considered to be automatic functions of our own neurology.)

41."Play along" with the music/various styles
42.Techinique/breathing and relaxing
43."Styles" pop/soul/jazz on conga drums
44.Sound Development
45.Ear training
46.Palo(split hand 2 congas) newly added...
I am accepting new "attendees" at this time...please email me privately at johnnyconga@hotmail.com .This Intensive also includes room/board/wifi/tv/, trips with me to local clubs and any gigs i may have while your here. You will be picked up at the airport and also taken back...flights right now are really cheap thru Jet Blue to Seattle...from NYC it's $139.oo one way, book a month or two in advance for the best deals...so whose next???..."JC" Johnny Conga..
JConga

Postby JConga » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:17 pm

Here is the "critique" from my first Conga Intensive student..Maria Medina Serafin.....

Johnny Conga’s Intensive Conga Training

Set in the beautiful ever greenery of Burien, suburb of Seattle, I found the setting a conducive environment for continuing the development of my skills on conga drums.

Johnny Conga’s ‘CongaRobics(TM) are unique exercises on three drums that helped my arm strength. Some of the drum exercises included the single and double 5-stroke, 7-stroke, and 9-strokes as well as rocking hand (heel and tip) exercises. These exercises help in developing muscle memory and independence that facilitates hand coordination for playing various drum voices. Also covered were muffles, slaps, tones and flams.

Some of the rhythm patterns covered included: tumbao in 7, variations of
the Cumbia, Pilon, and 6/8 Afro variations.

I must note that there are many excellent drummers out in the world but most are not able to teach what they know. The ability to teach comes from learning. Learning, in itself, is a process that never ends. As a teacher of percussion, Johnny Conga’s methods are clearly imparted to the student with patience. I began drumming on my own and in the parks with street drummers. The most important part of what I got from this intensive drumming week was clean drumming ‘technique’. Pure, simple, and safe technique which allows me to ‘wow’ folks when they see this diminutive woman play congas con gusto!

As a performer, I was treated to witnessing my teacher’s expertise drumming in such diverse settings as with a latin jazz and salsa bands, to playing congas, bongos and tambourine with a blues trio. Johnny Conga is an inspiring conguero and rumbero.

My drumming intensive with Johnny Conga has provided me with a lifetime of valuable knowledge that will extend from me to my students.

Gracias Maestro! ......
JConga

CONGA CAMP - with Johnny Conga

Postby JConga » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:29 am

This is a review of my CC/I from my last "attendee" Mr. Robert West of Canberra,Australia

In October 2008 I spent a very special time, just over a week as it turned out, with a true master of the conga drum and definately the most knowledgeabe person I have met on afro-caribbean music and history. I am writing about Johnny Conga of Seattle WA. My musical experience comes out of playing guitar in R&R bands in the late 60s and early 70s. I decided to learn hand drumming about 6 years back and started with djembe and conga but was drawn more to the latter for its greater musical subtlety. I have had two drum teachers in my home town of Canberra Australia and I spent about two years with each of them. They were both proficient drummers and had achieved a high level of capability but something was missing. I couldn't really define what. Not until I took the chance to take JCs' live in conga intensive.

I first heard of JC on a conga internet forum and when I saw his curriculum and offer to come and have a live in experience with him I thought this was going to be the next best thing to being in Cuba on a workshop. I was wrong! It was better. What I experienced was sensory and intellectual overload with history, music theory and practical aspects. I had been on vacation visiting Europe and Canada for two months and hadn't really done any drumming for a while so the physical side was really heavy going and I hit the wall a few times but managed to come through with JCs encouragement.

The curriculum JC offers is very thorough and at first I thought I was going to be able to get right through it. I mean this was over 300 hours of training and practice. However, this didn't happen for me and it would depend on how quick you learn and prior experience whether anyone could get through it. This topic and instrument is so complex that you can only go as far as you can physically and intellectually. JCs experience is over 40 years and the curriculum proves it. While I did refine my style, speed and knowledge what set JC head and shoulders above my previous tutors was that he took the time to explain why things were played in a particular manner and how to get in the groove with afro-caribbean music even when it is far removed from the basic 4/4 rock and roll I grew up with. In fact it was a revelation when I learnt why and how the clave is played in 2/3 and 3/2. Now this might be well known to many conga players but I had never heard it explained in such a clear manner, my previous tutors certainly didn't explain it, and yet it is so fundamental to playing this music.

I enjoyed many significant musical experiences with JC. One of the best was the exposure to latin music through listening to his CDs and LPs and having the songs and styles explained to me. I accompanied him on several gigs to see how a congero fits in with a variety of musical styles and bands and this helped to define for me what kind of musical ensemble would best suit my style and temperament, not to mention my age!

Good tutors are hard to find, inspired and dedicated ones are even rarer. JC is a very talented and unrecognised musician and maestro. If you are a serious musician and want to learn any latin conga styles and percussion then he is the one you should try. For the most incredible one on one experience thanks JC I learnt more in a week with you than in years with anyone else. And you know what? I will be back to learn what I couldn't absorb or pick up the first week. Value for money it was excellent, knowledge it was encyclopaedic, musically it was the most satisfying experience.
>

best wishes
Robert West-Canberra, Australia
Robert and I.jpg
JConga

Re: CONGA CAMP/Intensive - Study with Johnny Conga

Postby JConga » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 pm

I Am now accepting "attendee's" for my CC/I, here is a short statement from Robert West of Canberra Australia that came here to attend my CC/I.

Good tutors are hard to find, inspired and dedicated ones are even rarer. JC is a very talented and unrecognized musician and maestro. If you are a serious musician and want to learn any latin conga styles and percussion then he is the one you should try. For the most incredible one on one experience thanks JC I learnt more in a week with you than in years with anyone else. And you know what? I will be back to learn what I couldn't absorb or pick up the first week. Value for money it was excellent, knowledge it was encyclopedic, musically it was the most satisfying experience. Robert West of Australia

for those interested please email me privetly at johnnyconga2@hotmail.com I have already started booking attendees for this summer...so if you ever wanted to really learn how to play the conga drum and ALL that goes with it ,LET'S DO IT!..."JC" Johnny Conga...
>
JConga

Postby lpcongaplayer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Johnny is the man! No question when I cross over the Cascade range without wife and kids to visit relatives I will also be checking out the Volcanoes... and I don't mean Mt. Raineer or Mt. Saint Helens! :lol:
Billy: Mommy! I want to be a drummer when I grow up!
Mommy: Now, Billy. You know you can't do both.
lpcongaplayer

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 am

Im signing anyone up now, for the summer, that is interested in attending my Conga Camp/Intensive...please email me privately at johnnyconga@hotmail.com

see the other posts here at Congazine to read what others have said about their experiences with me..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:09 pm

For those that may be considering my Conga Camp Intensive NOW IS THE TIME FOR BOOKING...the AIRFARE in the USA is down to very low prices some 100 dollars round trip...let me know if you want to attend my CC/I and i will do the Booking of your flight for you as well...please email me privetly at johnnyconga@hotmail.com and LET'S DO IT!...."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:45 pm

I am now booking for the fall...

For those that may be considering my Conga Camp Intensive NOW IS THE TIME FOR BOOKING...the AIRFARE in the USA is down to very low prices some 100 dollars round trip...let me know if you want to attend my CC/I and i will do the Booking of your flight for you as well...please email me privately at johnnyconga@hotmail.com and LET'S DO IT!...."JC" Johnny Conga
DSCN0067.JPG
DSCN0067.JPG
a couple of former attendees.....
Attachments
Colin and Me.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Johnny have you considered creating a training CD, I know that there are many out there but I can clearly see the you, in your own unique way, have a lot to offer to alot of us “wet behind the ears” congueros, I would love to learn all of those rhythms and techniques that you know and teach unfortunately I am not in the position to make that type of expense, although I realize that there is nothing like being there and having the experience live. One thing is for sure though, I would not mind making the investment on one or more of your training CD’s and am sure others would feel the same way as well. Please consider it as you would be helping many of us with our continual growing knowledge of playing such a wonderful instrument.
Peace.
KING CONGA

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 am

I am open for the months of September October and November for my CC/I..... Right now flying is really cheap...Alaska Airlines to and from NYCity is only 69 bucks each way...so if anyone is interested in attending my CC/I, please emai me privately at johnnyconga@hotmail.com ....book it now!....and let's do it!..."JC" Johnny Conga....ps to learn more about my CC/I please go to the Congazine page on the board here and read the reviews and critiques...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:57 pm

LOOKING FOR NEW "ATTENDEES" FOR MY CONGA CAMP...currently working with my first married couple from Virginia here for their Conga Camp/Intensive...any takers????....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Here is John and Mary Vreeland from Fredricksburg, Virginia, my latest "attendees" of my CC/I....."JC" Johnny Conga
DSCN0246.JPG
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:14 pm

CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga
I am now accepting anyone who is interested in attending my Conga Camp Intensive...please email me privately at johnnyconga@hotmail.com if your ready to do it!....please look at previous posts to read the reviews of former attendees of this Intensive.....I look forward to my next attendees..Gracias/Thank you. Volcano Percussion Artist-"JC" Johnny Conga
3324_1161160151783_1311186066_431174_7232637_n.jpg
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to The CongaZine