Congas,Timbales,Bongos,-other Afro-Latin_Drums_Percussion

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Congas,Timbales,Bongos,-other Afro-Latin_Drums_Percussion

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:45 am

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CongasTim ... 6578888391 My contribution to CongaZine, is to share my Face Book Group of this same name. I am collecting photos ofr every manufactured & custom built drum of signifigance and adding my own comments re: Pros & Cons of the design,construction and related materials. Other in several forums are dealing with whos who, who did what, how so & so played etc. I am at the other end of the specialized spectrum regarding the design elements, identifying problems that require repairs or replacement parts etc. A modern built Conga,Bongo or Timbale should never require replacement parts unless it is designed to fail so we have to buy replacement parts etc ! Latin Drums & other ethnic derived drums & percussion does not receive the respect fror the heritage & culture from which it derives. Compaqnies have exploited a void in the market but now has flooded the market with many models that are basicly copies of each other from earlier bygone eras including the old problematic design features that should evolve to the same refinement as any other modern musical instrument. I am the Devils advocate ~ the voice that calls out the bogus marketing hype & lame designed products that dominate the market & hold down the progress and inventiveness of talented craftsmen & women. If you have a picture of a unique instrument or vintage instrument, I welcome you to share a picture and what ever hidtory associated to it. In time, we will collectively create a historic documentation / photo album representing Latin drums & percussion which is as important as the modern American drum set to the history of the music of the Americas which is spreading around the globe. We are respectful of the many cultures which have retained ancient music & culture with the cultural fusions which have uniquely created many music genres in the Americas & has inspired music & drum rhythm lovers acroos the globe. I am personaly interested in elevating the designs of these many percussion instruments & the practical hard wares associated with their use in stage & studio performance as well as home use. Perhaps one day , my 37 years of tinkering, repairing percussion and brainstorming on solutions to poor design & construction will produce the truly new generation of improved instruments that seem to escape modern manufacturers ! ?
Ernesto Pediangco

Re: Congas,Timbales,Bongos,-other Afro-Latin_Drums_Percussion

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q9GYvfa2EkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Cultural fusions and instrumentation's are what keep the music of the Americas growing and influences the world. I suggest to all drummers & musician & singers to take off the peripheral blinds and broaden your horizons. Here is a perfect example or the rewards of such ideals !
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to The CongaZine