Hand made Congas and Bongós in Puerto Rico

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby caballoballo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:59 pm

For those who are looking for Artisans making hand make percussion. I just finish talking to Angel Del Valle(787-752-9083),owner of Timbas del Valle. He is located in El Barrio San Anton de Carolina making a right or left ( depending on your position) on DIRECT TV headquarters and is the second street on the right,house # B14.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:17 pm

caballoballo wrote:For those who are looking for Artisans making hand make percussion. I just finish talking to Angel Del Valle(787-752-9083),owner of Timbas del Valle. He is located in El Barrio San Anton de Carolina making a right or left ( depending on your position) on DIRECT TV headquarters and is the second street on the right,house # B14.

Caballoballo,

Hope all is well! Do you have any pics available of his congas and bongó?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby caballoballo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Check this address http://www.prfdance.org/papo.htm. I ask him about making a wooden Bongó 7" & 9" and he told me he can make it out of Mahogany or Oak.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby caballoballo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:45 pm

Tamboricua ,Sorry if the link did not work,try http://www.prfdance.org/research.htm and then look under instruments.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:54 pm

caballoballo wrote:Tamboricua ,Sorry if the link did not work,try http://www.prfdance.org/research.htm and then look under instruments.

Thanks Caballoballo,

I have seen that link previously and I'm familiar with Papo's barriles and panderos. I would like to check out his tumbadoras and bongós though. See attached pic, this are made from Caribbean Mahogany (Caoba).

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127327506

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... adoras.jpg
tamboricua

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:05 pm

those are Papo's drums, they look nice remind of Junior's drums, they look like they got some good skins too...
ralph

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm

ralph wrote:those are Papo's drums, they look nice remind of Junior's drums, they look like they got some good skins too...

Hola Ralph,

Those are Junior Tirado drums!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:45 pm

tamboricua wrote:Those are Junior Tirado drums!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

funny but i thought they were Papo's drums, and i was about to give him a call and place an order...to tell you the truth it took me a while to finally get a handmade drum, and i searched and asked and waited until i found out about Junior's congas, i got to meet him and everything, unfortunately he (as far as i know is still in a coma), and i never got to see him again...although i probably got one of the last drums he made...
Jorge if those are your drums you are someone that appreciates a quality instrument...i bet you wouldn't trade them for the world...except for maybe some Vergara drums, and even then you would probably think about it twice, and then not trade
BTW my Junior drum is probably exactly the same color but no w/no name plate
PEACE
ralph

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:21 pm

ralph wrote:Jorge if those are your drums you are someone that appreciates a quality instrument...i bet you wouldn't trade them for the world...except for maybe some Vergara drums, and even then you would probably think about it twice, and then not trade
BTW my Junior drum is probably exactly the same color but no w/no name plate
PEACE

Hi Ralph,

"Junior" situation is a very sad one. As of today, he still under a coma state.

Yes, I own those tumbadoras. I got them directly from "Junior" back in 1996. You are right, I won't trade them for nothing, not even some Vergaras drums! Occasionally, you see some sets appears at E-bay for auction. The last set I saw, sold for about $1,600.00 two drums only.

About a month ago, I got lucky and was able to track down in Puerto Rico one of his bongós.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127335303
tamboricua

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:38 pm

tamboricua wrote:[Occasionally, you see some sets appears at E-bay for auction. The last set I saw, sold for about $1,600.00 two drums only.

About a month ago, I got lucky and was able to track down in Puerto Rico one of his bongós.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

thats what i'm talking about...the beautiful thing about Junior was that i got the drum handmade in "two weeks" for 500 flat made from scratch out of caoba as well, i just ordered a drum from Matthew Congas and he told me it would take almost three months, but what can you do? I called Jay Bereck and he's not even taking any orders, the good thing that if you do get him to make you a drum, by the time you get it you'll have a nice vintage drum for resale thats how long it would take...now $500 for Juniors drum may seem expensive to some but for his legendary drum, thats a steal...he showed me a bata he made too...i think buy the time i caught up with him, he was making more barriles than congas...his workshop was full of barriles and one quinto...and to top it off the skin he got, he shaved himself you can even see some hairs he missed...OFFICIAL....
as you can tell i can go on and on...

Edited By ralph on 1127335296
ralph

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:50 pm

ralph wrote:i just ordered a drum from Matthew Congas and he told me it would take almost three months,

$500 for Juniors drum may seem expensive to some but for his legendary drum, thats a steal...he showed me a bata he made too...i think buy the time i caught up with him, he was making more barriles than congas...his workshop was full of barriles and one quinto...

Ralph,

Is that Matthew Smith from Ritmo Drums out in Philly? If it's him, I understand he makes very nice stuff. How much he is charging for his drums? He once sent me a brochure, but I losted.

You now how much I did pay for the "Junior" bongó I was able to track down in PR? $250.00!!!!!!!!

I have never seen "Junior" barriles. I understand he did some panderos for a while too. Do you know where I might be able to track down some?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127336244
tamboricua

Postby caballoballo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:18 pm

I found the brochure you were talking about here http://eye-dog.com/ritmo.html. BTW I like that Bongó. I may be visiting Timbas del Valle, it is not far from where I work,may be 10 minutes. I let you know the outcome.

Pa' encima Rumberos
Josean
caballoballo

Postby bongomikee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Jorge,

Very nice drums indeed! I knew they were Junior's drums as soon as I saw them. If not then they would have to be Isla or Timba's.

Dario was selling a pair on ebay a couple a months bk.

Beautiful drums! May God give him strength!

Best wishes,
Mikee
Mikee
London UK
bongomikee

Postby bongomikee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi Jorge,

Very nice drums indeed! I knew they were Junior's drums as soon as I saw them. If not then they would have to be Isla or Timba's.

Dario was selling a pair on ebay a couple a months bk.

Beautiful drums! May God give him strength!

Best wishes,
Mikee
Mikee
London UK
bongomikee

Return to Bongo