Tucking - sewing? Bongo head

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Tucking - sewing? Bongo head

Postby Psych1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 pm

ABAKUA wrote:
I would destroy that bongo within the first song if I were playing it with one of my bands.

Tough guy!!

Sounds like you could use a lesson in how to take care of an instrument.
Psych1

Postby Kona » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes - you don't have to hit hard to sound good....Maybe these are not drums to be playing in a metal band....in most cases.

I have 5 drum kits and 22 (at last count) snare drums (some very expensive - some just fun MIJ 60's stuff and others that are mid-range but very playable) and I must have 25+ orphaned toms. I have 4 bongo sets and a very nice complete set of Valje drums. I play ALL my drums and I love all of them. I don't get snobby about my playing or the drums that I have. I will pass on positive comments and any information I have about drums and drumming to anyone that wants to know or asks me. I love the lowest of the low cheapest drum to the very expensive well made percussion instrument - they're all good to me and they all serve a purpose whether to just admire or to play your heart out in a large symphony orchestra....it's all good. I don't believe you have to play a drum 'properly' to get enjoyment out of it. In fact the some of the best drummers past and present hold drum sticks in a way that would make some of the strict teachers of the past turn in their graves. I've seen children having so much fun they can hardly stand it when they bop away on an old pair of bongo drums. Sure, there are some folks that insist that hand positions have to be played in a certain way to achieve Guaguanco for the note/tone to fall in a certain way. But, lets not get snobby about it...experiment...that's how music is invented. Live a little....grab onto a old cheap pair of Sparkley MIJ bongo drums and see what you can come up with. Have fun with it. Look where we are - in the Universe for God's sake - we're not all that important :D

Gary
Kona

Postby Psych1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

This bongo has been around the world with the Beetles. Its been places you dream about and made music you listen to. Any tough guy out there feel the need to destroy it?
Attachments
IMG_0090.JPG
Psych1

Postby Kona » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Nice piece of music history there.
I like it!

Psych1 wrote:This bongo has been around the world with the Beetles. Its been places you dream about and made music you listen to. Any tough guy out there feel the need to destroy it?
Kona

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 am

LMAO...

Here, I found this bongo for you, might still be an upgrade though due to its comfort curve rims.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Kona » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am

Haha...yes...you have a sense of humour. I do have some almost like these! I set them out at Christmas for fun. Just put a mic up to them and play and record a tune...you'd be surprised and what you can get out of even the drums you have pictured here.

I recall...and I still have the cassett tape...sitting on the floor in front of my daughter....in 1985 and taping a tune that I bashed out on a toy tambourine. It was Wipeout by the Surfaris. It sounded pretty good...and my daughter loved it. Also, on the same subject, I was in a band in 76 where the lead guitarist made a demo tape of something he was working on. He needed a bass drum (I wasn't around when he was taping this) and he used the arm of a sofa chair to record a bass drum-like sound. It worked! You don't have to have expensive drums all the time to get a sound you want.

Gary

ABAKUA wrote:LMAO...

Here, I found this bongo for you, might still be an upgrade though due to its comfort curve rims.

Kona

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 am

:lol: Good to see you have a sense of humour Kona.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby El Magnifico » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:26 am

ABAKUA wrote::lol: Good to see you have a sense of humour Kona.

Ha,ha,ha!!!! That was a good one Abakua! And kudos to Kona for enjoying the moment! Who cares? Play whatever you want. I started with a Sultana Cracker Can and a stick from a mango tree a century ago! HAAAA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Previous

Return to Bongo