Mass produced bongos vs "boutique" bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Mass produced bongos vs "boutique" bongos

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:12 pm

By mass produced bongos I mean such brands as Latin Percussions, Meinl, etc...
By "boutique" bongos I mean those that are made by little, artisan-like, independent manufacturers, presently active or who ceased activities.

Occasionally I encounter a similar situation with acoustic guitars players, some are content with an instrument made by large brands (Taylor, Martin, Epiphone, Takamine, etc.), some won't play anything other than made by a small producer or a devoted luthier

So I am wondering: generally speaking, are boutique bongos better sounding and more durable than mass produced bongos ?

As for myself, I never had "boutique" bongos. Only LP bongos. Those are easier to get, and truth is, affordable.
The only ones I have now ( LP Gen III) are imo great: sturdy, sound just fine and are good looking.

However, by using mass produced bongos, am I limiting my bongocero progress or "career", and missing some superlative instruments made by small manufacturers, with distinctively superior sound, exceptional finish, a fine/rare wood barrel, etc... ?

I know it is a difficult question, and hard to reply to in general terms.. so I can rephrase the question:
usually, what do the professional bongoceros use as far as "workhorse" bongos, in the studio or on the road, days in days out: mass produced bongos or "boutique" bongos ?

Thanks !!! :)
Beatnik07

Re: Mass produced bongos vs "boutique" bongos

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:04 pm

There are several answers to this.

are boutique bongos better sounding [...] than mass produced bongos ?

It’s a matter of taste (and of financial means…)

Of course, everyone of us would prefer boutique bongos, and (why not) especially made for them.
A rare, and precious wood species, limited edition, and sometimes even the possibility to have a badge with your name on the drum… :)
But you need to try them out in the flesh, of course… Which could mean making a trip to Hungary to try Manana out, or to Finland to test these… https://www.ossipercussion.com/product/custom-bongo/ for instance.

are boutique bongos [...] more durable than mass produced bongos ?

If you take good care of them, both can last a lifetime…

On the other side, some great professional players use mass produced instruments, at least publicly. This guy, nicknamed « el Matador », plays… Matadors…

Some play mass produced instruments because they are under contract with a brand, and can sometimes even have their signature model. It doesn’t necessarily mean they like the model, but they have to use it publicly (on stage, and on photographs and videos). They can own and use other brands, as long as they do it privately (but I know some don’t care about it and play whatever, whenever and wherever they want – but sometimes you can’t see their face on the videos.)

usually, what do the professional bongoceros use as far as "workhorse" bongos, in the studio or on the road, days in days out: mass produced bongos or "boutique" bongos ?

Both? Depending on the personal taste, the music style, the recording and playing conditions (big stage vs little pub, big band vs acoustic quintet, etc.) ? This is just my opinion, some may disagree.
Chtimulato

Postby Beatnik07 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:31 am

I guess, I was wondering if what happens in other sectors of music is also happening with bongos players.

For example there is an ongoing debate in electronic music as to whether "mainstream" synthesizer makers are doing less of a good job putting out fine gear, than minor "boutique" synth manufacturers.
Same with sequencers, same with drum machines, same with samplers, etc....

I don't hesitate buying niche gear if it offers added performance, durability, and features (though, almost always at the cost of significantly higher expenses). But I certainly have no qualms getting "mainstream" gear if the quality, usability and functionalities are there for my purpose.

A parallel debate is about older gear, classic gear vs modern gear. Especially synths. Many people will buy highly priced (and often unreliable) older gear (say from the 80s) because of the unique "sound", the "creaminess/organic-ness" of the timbre, the authentic "character" ... Whereas modern equivalent gear is accused of being "soulless", "sterile", etc...

An example:
Here is an ebay offer for an original , used TR808 from the early 80s:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304230395638?_ ... BMtvGx1eZf

here is an offer for a brand new equivalent TR808 unit (well actually with more features compared to the original):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... um-machine

:)
Beatnik07

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:16 am

Hi Beatnik,

this is not really a religious issue. It's simple and pragmatic: The instrument that corresponds best to your personal voice is the one that makes you play the best, is the one that you should use. Once you have decided that your voice is the voice of a drum, you have an idea how it should sound. Then you go searching. In general, people don't start with the "cadillac". It is with time, that you realize what you need, or what your ideal gear is. It doesn't necessarily have to be the most optimized, modernized one, but it can be. There are no rules. And possibly, after driving the cadillac for some years, you might come back to your old 2CV, because you just feel better with it. Who knows.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby caballoballo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:03 pm

I Agree with Thomas Altmann 100 %.

"The instrument that corresponds best to your personal voice is the one that makes you play the best, is the one that you should use. Once you have decided that your voice is the voice of a drum, you have an idea how it should sound."

On my part I do have various bongos to choose for giging. However lately I do prefer one given to me as a present from a fellow musician. It is a no brand no famous artisan bongó made of Cedar ,very comfortable and not heavy at all with a very sonorous projection. 7.25 X 8.75 cilindrical design, Skindeep on the Macho and thick natural skin on the Hembra.
Attachments
IMG_20220602_110412.jpg
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo