Walnut solid shells on Ebay.. 2 days left.

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Walnut solid shells on Ebay.. 2 days left.

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 am

These are currently up on Ebay. (Dec 11/09)
Earlier today they were at a starting price of $100.00, with a "hidden" reserve price.
I looked again 10 min ago, one person (bidder) had to bid 9 times in order to hit (disclose) the "reserve" price of $600.00!

They are very pretty solid Walnut shells, retrofitted with custom made hardware by Matt S.
(with un-chromed hardware including the lugs)
The seller says the shells are from the D.R.
Personally, I think they're great looking, but I wouldn't spend $600.00

(The reason I spent $455.00 on the 1969-1970 Lp Zebra wood's 2 weeks ago is that 1- only 100 pair were every made by M. Cohen (info from Dario), and 2- when do you ever come across shells made of Zebra wood?)

What do you gentleman think... would you spend $600.00 for these Walnuts?
(I prefer my hardware and lugs chromed at any price)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220525169880&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

"Cuero na' ma'"
Attachments
Ebay_Walnuts.JPG
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Re: Walnut solid shells on Ebay.. 2 days left.

Postby juancho » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 pm

More power to Cuco.
juancho

Postby yambu321 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:25 pm

I'M SORRY, BUT THIS IS SOOOOOOO WRONG!

THOSE ARE NOT WALNUT, THOSE ARE SOLID MAHOGANY SHELLS FROM THE DOMINCAN REPUBLIC.

AT A TIME, THEY WERE SOLD BY A COMPANY CALLED CARRIBEAN RYTHMS. I HAVE THE VERY SAME MODEL SHELLS ANY THEY ARE EXCELLENT. BUT, THEY CAME WITH POOR HARDWARE, AND SKINS, FOR APPROXIMATELY $86.00 PLUS SHIPPING.

FOR MATTHEW SMITH TO MAKE THE HARDWARE, AND MOUNT NEW SKINS, AN EXTRA 250.00 MAX CAN BE ADDED.

SO, I WOULD NOT PAY MUCH MORE THAN 375.00 FOR SUCH A SET.

AT $600.00 IT'S A RIP OFF, PAIN AND SIMPLE.
LETS KEEP IT REAL.

CHARLIE. 8)
Last edited by yambu321 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby caballoballo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Yes, more power to Cuco. No way ,there is no reason I will pay that much for any Bongó. With that amount I could buy 3 authentic Colombian Made.

The other day I posted about that type of scam,fraud or whatever , which I copied from a post on Drum Chat and some people here just laugh about it. Now it is here so everybody can see it.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Psych1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Classical economics is wage-labor-capital, and, value-price-profit. The problem here is that this is not classical economics. It is player-collector confusion. For some, many, people $600 can support their families for a long time. For others, $600 is just not that much money. There is no fraud or scam going here, just todays economics where price and value are not alligned.

Tony Stern had a great line in one of his blogs, "I wish the collectors would go back to collecting watches and leave the instruments to the musicians." Wishful thinking, there is no going back.
Psych1

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm

I am pretty sure he had this particular set and others for sale on Ebay at different time this year and it seems nobody is buying them. Offer and demand, no demand at that price. Normally a pristine vintage set of Vergaras, Timbas Ismael, Juniors, SOS etc commands that kind of price tag. One thing to consider here, that particular species of mahogany which if I am not mistaken is of the higher caliber is on the endagered species list. So chances are you are not going to see too many of them one piece mahogany bongos in the near future. Another thing them bongos have going-on for themselves is the hardware made by Mr. Matthew Smith. I would not pay $600.00 for that set or any other set for that matter but truth be known and keep in mind the price of an item is the price determined by the seller and the buyer.
RitmoBoricua

Postby yambu321 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:20 am

FOR ME IT'S EASY.
FOR ($600.00) IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THAT VERY SPEACIAL BONGO THAT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET, AND IT WOULD ALSO HAVE TO BE IN GREAT CONDITION.

FOR A MAKESHIFT BONGO LIKE THIS, WITH THE FOLLOWING:

$86.00 SHELLS + $200.00 MAX FOR A MATTHEW SMITH COMBO OF (NON-CHROMED) HARDWARE, AND A PAIR OF SKINS. A SELLING PRICE OF APPROXIMATELY: $375.00 WOULD BE ABOUT RIGHT.

PS: YES, (RITMOBORICUA) IS CORRECT. EVEN THOUGH THE ORIGINAL PRICE OF THE SHELLS WERE LOW, THEY HOWEVER, ARE OF A VERY HIGH QUALITY.

IN THIS CASE, FOR ME, $375.00 WOULD BE A VERY FAIR PRICE.

CHARLIE. 8)
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby reydeltimbale » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Mr FidelsEyeglasses:
The walnut bongos that I put on Ebay are a new set that is being made today in the Dominican Republic by a new company since the company Caribbean Rhythms went out of business and wood they used is not allowed to be cut that why they are using walnut today. They gave me two set of solid shells and they were cut and trimmed here in PA.These bongos were cut not the traditional straight cut but in a round shape inside for more projection.The new company that is make bongos today I expect that they will arrive in US shortly.As to you not spending $600.00 that tell me that you are not a collector nor you are a musician $600.00 is a tax right off for the professional musician. I have bongo that i have paid $50.00 and gone as far as to paying $1000.00. The bongos you just brought Zebra wood at $455 was a lot of money are you aware that that bongo you can get it made buy Ralphy Flores ,by Hector Roche El PIernas the wood can be gotten and shaped any way you want Ralphy's price I know is $500.00 brand new and any size.O and Dario's info is wrong figure this out I worked in a very and I say very popular store for musician's from 1968-1987 we sold over a 100 sets of that bongos the year they came out, if we sold that many how about the rest of united state's . I remember Taty (Johnny Rodriguez mother) who work at LP call us for when they were coming in so we could make deliveries of such bongo. and soon another lp bongo that will be a collector the blood wood bongo.This is why I can make the claim that that I have the largest private collection of bongos timbales drum set in the world over 200 and still counting same with timbales.

Yambu321:
What is so wrong? That you don't know what you are talking about , Those shell are not Mahogany they are walnut they just came from Dominican Republic and that they do not and I repeat do not come from Caribbean Rhythm there is a new company that is making those shell in the DR and soon they will be here in US.
Rip off what do you know if you find $600.00 a lot of money I am not asking you to buy any thing just walk away. your advice not need been in business 50 years and never need advice from aficionados .You are nor a professional nor a collector keep your tasteless comments to you self.when you have money you can address your self to me.

Caballoballo:
Can you explain scam fraud or whatever ? Yes you can buy 3 authentic Colombian made bongo and yes they are made well . But do you that is the counterfeit capital of the world that nothing is really originally made they copy anything how you want it. also explain what scam,fraud is on here

psych1:
There is no confusion you are right when people with no business in this industry get involve talk things that don't make sense the confuse the rest.By the way the quality of that bongos calls for the price

RitmoBoricua:
You have been proven wrong these bongos have never been on Ebay they arrived 6 month's ago from DR they are walnut and the new company that is making
them should be here in US soon. You guy don't live off music business any instrument you buy is a tax right off learn this so when you become professionals .When you talk price of a set bongos like Vergara, Timbas Ismael, you are in a different league Junior ,SOS are still being made not a collector Item to command that price . The people that go after SoS that a copy of Juniors Bongos Jay learn to make bongos from junior he us to hang at juniors shop every day to get info from junior.these are true facts said by Junior him self and today there is some one else that make junior's bongos to the Tee and that not Jay.You will not pay but you are not a professional so why pay such amount.

Yambu321
stop minding other peoples money mind yours you will become rich some day and can buy a quality bongo and Become a professional .People that are envious of other don't get any where read all you wrote and think how much BS I wrote and nothing got done.drums sold
reydeltimbale

Postby yambu321 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:59 pm

CUCU,
THAT'S TOTAL NONSENSE.

I STAND BEHIND MY WORDS 100%
THERE IS NO WAY IN THE WORLD THAT THOSE DRUMS ARE WORTH $600.00.
YES, IF YOU WANT TO BECOME RICH OFF OF SOMEONE'S IGNORANCE, DON'T DO IT ON THIS BOARD. BECAUSE, WE ARE BROTHERS AND SISTERS HERE, AND WE'LL ADVISE EACH OTHER, AND SHARE INFORMATION WITH EACH OTHER, SO THAT WE CAN ALL DO AS WELL AS WE CAN, AND BE HAPPY AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH THE YEARS.

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR BULL HERE, YOU SHOULD JUST CONCENTRATE ON YOUR EBAY SALES, AND MAYBE EVEN TRY TO PRICE YOUR ITEMS FAIRLY, AND BE ACCURATE WITH YOUR INFORMATION. ALSO TRY NOT TO SOUND SO ARROGANT IN YOUR ITEM DETAILS. BECAUSE, CUSTOMERS WILL AVOID YOU LIKE THE PLAGUE, BE NICE.

PS: THE ZEBRAWOOD LP BONGOS ARE A SPECIAL COLLECTORS ITEM !
THAT WAS A GREAT PURCHASE!!!
:mrgreen:

CHARLIE. 8)
Last edited by yambu321 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yambu321

Postby vinnieL » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Certainely looks like a caribbean rhythm shell from the DR to me. Nice hardware though.
vinnieL

Postby reydeltimbale » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:54 pm

yambu321 wrote:CUCU,
THAT'S TOTAL NONSENSE.

I STAND BEHIND MY WORDS 100%
THERE IS NO WAY IN THE WORLD THAT THOSE DRUMS ARE WORTH $600.00.
YES, IF YOU WANT TO BECOME RICH OFF OF SOMEONE'S IGNORANCE, DON'T DO IT ON THIS BOARD. BECAUSE, WE ARE BROTHERS AND SISTERS HERE, AND WE'LL ADVISE EACH OTHER, AND SHARE INFORMATION WITH EACH OTHER, SO THAT WE CAN ALL DO AS WELL AS WE CAN, AND BE HAPPY AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH YEARS.

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR BULL HERE, YOU SHOULD JUST CONCENTRATE ON YOUR EBAY SALES, AND MAYBE EVEN TRY TO PRICE YOUR ITEMS FAIRLY, AND BE ACCURATE WITH YOUR INFORMATION. ALSO TRY NOT TO SOUND SO ARROGANT IN YOUR ITEM DETAILS. BECAUSE, CUSTOMERS WILL AVOID YOU LIKE THE PLAGUE, BE NICE.

PS: THE ZEBRAWOOD LP BONGOS ARE A SPECIAL COLLECTORS ITEM !
THAT WAS A GREAT PURCHASE!!!
:mrgreen: .

CHARLIE
There is so much bull written on conga place you should look at other web sites so that you get a hint of what goes on in world. You don't understand I don't use this board nor I am interested in any ones opinnon from this board .This why I am arrogant I have the know how and the knowledge and guts to tell you that you are wrong .I been doing this for 50 year's and I only deal with people that know what they are talking about guy like you and a few other I ignore like a plague's this is being nice if I am not this way guy's like you will screw me . Why price fairly if you don't have the money you don't the honey.I sell more in a week of Item that you will never see in a life time my customers are real musicians no amatuers guys such as Jose Madera,Mario Grillo, Oreste Villato, Nicky Marrero, Charlie Sierra, these are musician that I cater to real drummers every one else can kiss my right nut and make my left jealous how you like that.

----------------------------

BANNED

----------------------------
Last edited by reydeltimbale on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reydeltimbale

Postby reydeltimbale » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:59 pm

vinnieL wrote:Certainely looks like a caribbean rhythm shell from the DR to me. Nice hardware though.

vinniel
They look like but they are not there is a new guy making drums there know, the wood is green walnut and they are cut differently look at photo of the inside of drum you will see difference
reydeltimbale

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:08 pm

reydeltimbale wrote:Mr FidelsEyeglasses:
The walnut bongos that I put on Ebay are a new set that is being made today in the Dominican Republic by a new company since the company Caribbean Rhythms went out of business and wood they used is not allowed to be cut that why they are using walnut today. They gave me two set of solid shells and they were cut and trimmed here in PA.These bongos were cut not the traditional straight cut but in a round shape inside for more projection.The new company that is make bongos today I expect that they will arrive in US shortly.As to you not spending $600.00 that tell me that you are not a collector nor you are a musician $600.00 is a tax right off for the professional musician. I have bongo that i have paid $50.00 and gone as far as to paying $1000.00. The bongos you just brought Zebra wood at $455 was a lot of money are you aware that that bongo you can get it made buy Ralphy Flores ,by Hector Roche El PIernas the wood can be gotten and shaped any way you want Ralphy's price I know is $500.00 brand new and any size.O and Dario's info is wrong figure this out I worked in a very and I say very popular store for musician's from 1968-1987 we sold over a 100 sets of that bongos the year they came out, if we sold that many how about the rest of united state's . I remember Taty (Johnny Rodriguez mother) who work at LP call us for when they were coming in so we could make deliveries of such bongo. and soon another lp bongo that will be a collector the blood wood bongo.This is why I can make the claim that that I have the largest private collection of bongos timbales drum set in the world over 200 and still counting same with timbales.

Yambu321:
What is so wrong? That you don't know what you are talking about , Those shell are not Mahogany they are walnut they just came from Dominican Republic and that they do not and I repeat do not come from Caribbean Rhythm there is a new company that is making those shell in the DR and soon they will be here in US.
Rip off what do you know if you find $600.00 a lot of money I am not asking you to buy any thing just walk away. your advice not need been in business 50 years and never need advice from aficionados .You are nor a professional nor a collector keep your tasteless comments to you self.when you have money you can address your self to me.

Caballoballo:
Can you explain scam fraud or whatever ? Yes you can buy 3 authentic Colombian made bongo and yes they are made well . But do you that is the counterfeit capital of the world that nothing is really originally made they copy anything how you want it. also explain what scam,fraud is on here

psych1:
There is no confusion you are right when people with no business in this industry get involve talk things that don't make sense the confuse the rest.By the way the quality of that bongos calls for the price

RitmoBoricua:
You have been proven wrong these bongos have never been on Ebay they arrived 6 month's ago from DR they are walnut and the new company that is making
them should be here in US soon. You guy don't live off music business any instrument you buy is a tax right off learn this so when you become professionals .When you talk price of a set bongos like Vergara, Timbas Ismael, you are in a different league Junior ,SOS are still being made not a collector Item to command that price . The people that go after SoS that a copy of Juniors Bongos Jay learn to make bongos from junior he us to hang at juniors shop every day to get info from junior.these are true facts said by Junior him self and today there is some one else that make junior's bongos to the Tee and that not Jay.You will not pay but you are not a professional so why pay such amount.

Yambu321
stop minding other peoples money mind yours you will become rich some day and can buy a quality bongo and Become a professional .People that are envious of other don't get any where read all you wrote and think how much BS I wrote and nothing got done.drums sold

Saludos Señor 'Reydeltimbale', Re: who is or isn't a "professional" musician... speaking only for myself, I must say that I may or may not want the internal Revenue Service to know what music equipment (bongoes, tumbas, skins, lugs, lug lube, case's etc.) I may choose to buy, which is why I (or many other "Professional" drummers/musicians) don't "write off/deduct" every single "instrument" purchase when filing a tax return... this does not mean I (or anyone else) is not a "Professional" drummer/musico.

Re: Paying "Ralphy Flores, Hector Roche El PIernas $500.00 (+ shipping) to make a brand new pair of Zebra wood's", when I can pay (and I did with no shipping charge) $455.00 for a pair of "original early Zebra wood Lp's" in "mint" condition, is preferred by me, because I now own a true "vintage/collectors" instrument, as they are not made (by Lp) anymore and haven't been for many years.
If I had a pair of Zebra's "made today, tomorrow or last week"... they would not be considered "vintage/collectors" Lp drums.

Re: "Dario's info is wrong".... I don't know what reason 'Martin Cohen' would have possibly had to "misinform" Dario in his interview with Martin Cohen.

Re: "The people that go after SoS that a copy of Juniors Bongos"... 'Skin On Skin' bongoes are not "copies" of Natalio "Junior" Tirado's" drums. Truth be told que both "Juniors" as well as 'Jay's' S.O.S.'s are modeled after/influenced by using the rich heritage and style of the late legendary Cuban drum maker 'Gonzalo Vergara'.

Re: "Junior ,SOS are still being made not a collector Item to command that price"... "Juniors" drums are most definitely "collectors" instruments, as everyone know's.. 'Natalio "Junior" Tirado' died (R.I.P.) and those drums are no longer made. In fact, every drummer that own's them, hangs on to them like gold and will never sell them (unless out of desperation).
I was invited to play (along with several other "Professional" drummers) at 'Natalio "Junior" Tirado's' wake, in front of his open casket. I was very humbled to be invited to do that and I did.
I, as well as my late Father have known both 'Jay Bereck' and 'Natalio "Junior" Tirado' since they both started making fine hand made drums for many years.

Re: "I worked in a very and I say very popular store for musician's from 1968-1987 we sold over a 100 sets of that bongos the year they came out".... perhaps the pair I bought for $455.00 on Ebay three weeks ago were the "one pair in that 100".

I have not implied that there is anything "wrong" with the pair you just sold on Ebay for $600.00.
What I said is, they are "good looking" and that in "my personal opinion"... I would not spend that amount of money on drums that have non-chromed hardware and lugs, or are made from parts from different makers.
(wasn't there a famous movie made in 1931 about a body made from different body parts?)

Lastly, the cost ($$$) of anything is all relative to someones individual taste and/or monetary situation/s.

Paz y "Cuero na' ma'"

Markito / N.Y.C.
Last edited by FidelsEyeglasses on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby vinnieL » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:42 pm

Ok If you say so.
vinnieL

Postby reydeltimbale » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:48 pm

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:
reydeltimbale wrote:Mr FidelsEyeglasses:

Yambu321:

Caballoballo:

psych1:

RitmoBoricua:

Yambu321

Saludos Señor 'Reydeltimbale', Re: who is or isn't a "professional" musician... speaking only for myself, I must say that I may or may not want the internal Revenue Service to know what music equipment (bongoes, tumbas, skins, lugs, lug lube, case's etc.) I may choose to buy, which is why I (or many other "Professional" drummers/musicians) don't "write off/deduct" every single "instrument" purchase when filing a tax return... this does not mean I (or anyone else) is not a "Professional" drummer/musico.

Re: Paying "Ralphy Flores, Hector Roche El PIernas $500.00 (+ shipping) to make a brand new pair of Zebra wood's", when I can pay (and I did with no shipping charge) $455.00 for a pair of "original early Zebra wood Lp's", is preferred by me, because I now own a true "vintage/collectors" instrument, as they are not made (by Lp) anymore and haven't been for many years.
If I had a pair Zebra's "made today, tomorrow or last week"... they would not be considered "vintage/collectors" Lp drums.

Re: "Dario's info is wrong".... I don't know what reason 'Martin Cohen' would have possibly had to "misinform" Dario in his interview with Martin Cohen.

Re: "The people that go after SoS that a copy of Juniors Bongos"... 'Skin On Skin' bongoes are not "copies" of Natalio "Junior" Tirado's" drums. Truth be told que both "Juniors" as well as 'Jay's' S.O.S.'s are modeled after/influenced by using the rich heritage and style of the late Cuban drum maker 'Gonzalo Vergara'.

Re: "Junior ,SOS are still being made not a collector Item to command that price"... "Juniors" drums are most definitely "collectors" instruments, as everyone know's.. 'Natalio "Junior" Tirado' died (R.I.P.) and those drums are no longer made. In fact, every drummer that own's them, hangs on to them like gold and will never sell them (unless out of desperation).
I was invited to play (along with several other "Professional" drummers) at 'Natalio "Junior" Tirado's' wake, in front of his open casket. I was very humbled to be invited to do that and I did.
I, as well as my late Father have known both 'Jay Bereck' and 'Natalio "Junior" Tirado' since they both started making fine hand made drums for many years.

Re: "I worked in a very and I say very popular store for musician's from 1968-1987 we sold over a 100 sets of that bongos the year they came out".... perhaps the pair I bought for $455.00 on Ebay three weeks ago were the "one pair in that 100".

I have not implied that there is anything "wrong" with the pair you just sold on Ebay for $600.00.
What I said is, they are "good looking" and that in "my personal opinion"... I would not spend that amount of money on drums that have non-chromed hardware and lugs, or are made from parts from different makers.
(wasn't there a famous movie made in 1931 about a body made from different body parts?)

Lastly, the cost ($$$) of anything is all relative to someones individual taste and/or monetary situation/s.

Paz y "Cuero na' ma'"

Markito / N.Y.C.

Hola Markito
Don't misunderstand it's a huge deduction it may not mean a lot to you but to musician that live off music that a big plus all broadway musicians they by sticks they claim them skin are all deductable, This why us Latin musician are in dump they don't take advantage of what they have.
ok on zebra wood bongo I agree with you if interested in lP

Dario info yes wrong 100 pairs for the intire US, Canada and Puerto Rico were Lp sells just think when I work at casa latina in new york I sold over 100 of those sets . Martin Cohen is off his rocker recently I ask him that I need a set of rims for a set of timbales made by him on his first edition of timbales he told me I never made rim that I was look for, he argued and told me that I was crazzy he never made such rim .I went to a record shop purchused the palante album by TP and sent it to him ' his responce 3 days later I did not remember of that he sent me rims and gave me a set of bongos that he was sorry how you like that.

copys have you ever seen a vergara bongos in it original state what it look like played it

Junior bongos I can get you as many as you want Junior yes died but his heritage continue's on a relative is still making bongos in NY and is putting Junior lables on drum and selling them very expensive but hes get the money you want one I will get for you.
If you were at wake for junior I was there maybe we saw each other it was a nice wake.
Jay he works well but he learn a lot from Junior . Junior us to leave shop because he did not want jay to know to many secrets

I don't implied that you say anything wrong but to give you an idea of what is going on the rims were or are what is called brushed chrome the don't have that shine of chrome the will never get rust .what kind of rims were on the original Vergaras there was no chrome made of aluminum and were painted in black.do you also know that lp bases were made in the bronx hunts point the second edition shells were made in NJ by an old man the made pillones then martin took to Thialand all done from part made from different people.

just like Frankenstein made of parts,it's all about Money if you have and you like something buy it don't be cheap to your self and don't let anyone dictate what to but and what not to buy that the the key of it all .

it says you are in NY were in NY let me know next time I will take a set of Vergara to NY so you can show me resemblance of Junior
take care
reydeltimbale

Next

Return to Bongo