Timba Bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Timba Bongos

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:19 pm

quintadrum wrote:What would be the right price for a set of Timba Bongos? Thank you again.

Well the website says $479-$499, which is about right, comparable to all the rest. I'm pretty sure Timba keeps bongos in stock so there would not be a wait versus the other custom bongos. that have 3-6 month waits.

They really like the Timbas over on the BongoGroup, where I got these pictures.
I think the black is a really cool color. I think those might have been Mike Gallichio's at one time.
Attachments
Timbas.JPG
n_a-1.jpg
n_a-2.jpg
n_a.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby caballoballo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Many times in the pass I have been trying to get my hands on a Timba without luck. About a month ago there was one on L.A craiglist but the owner would not ship. Let see if in the future a good deal comes knocking on my door.

Do you people know that Isla Percussion is going to start making Bongos ? will be made of Caoba and another exotic wood . He has already pictures of the shells on his web page. Taking into consideration his reputation as a fine & excellent Artisan I know is going to be must a to have Bongó.

I love this forum and the people in here. Sometimes we get into very hard argues including myself but at the end we keep posting and the show keeps going with no hard feelings. :mrgreen:
Josean
caballoballo

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:42 am

My opinion re Timba drums, stay away.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Removed
Last edited by pcastag on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC
pcastag

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:25 pm

<<Your new CA series cracked already? That kind of sucks, I know that the wood they use is aged, or at leaset that's what it says. I had a set, liked the sound but didn't love it, but I can't see those drums having problems already, and I haven't heard from any other owner having problems with them.>>

Wood here in the eastern seaboard of the U.S goes though a lot of expanding and shrinking due to the ever variable weather. The metal bands of my JCR's conga are kind of loose right now, the drum shrunk over the winter when summer comes they will be real tight once again which means the drum expanded. That wood movement back and forth has the potential to crack and split wood big time.
RitmoBoricua

Postby No.2-1820 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:28 am

I can only comment on my personal experience, I've had a set for a good few years now and love them, no quality issues (I'm in California), just a great, comfortable set with a very loud, clear voice.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

leedy2 wrote:
yambu321 wrote:FAUSTINO.
You know what you are not worth talking and giving you an info I see you are another ass whole that thinks he know it all . and also writing in cap is considered as yelling ' yell your lungs out .and I will not stoup to you level of ignorance.

De nuevo se ha formado una timba con el bongo Timba! I've played Timba bongos and they sounded pretty good, I don't own any. I did own a pair of Timba congas, conga and supertumba, again they sounded very good. I had to make a decission between keeping one of two sets, a Junior Tirado or a Timba and I kept the Juniors.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby Anonimo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Gallichio » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am

You are correct the Black bongos were mine. Here is a photo of all the Timba bongos I owned at one time. The Cubop were really light weight.

n_a.jpeg
n_a.jpeg (3.63 KiB) Viewed 9790 times
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Seneferu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 am

If the Gon Bop bongos are made from Californian Appalacian oak, you should be alright. The wood that tends to crack are the ones from southeast Asia and maybe the Phillipines. I had an LP quinto with the Valje name on it. It kept cracking. I live in Michigan. Rick Buscemi, who owned Fat Congas told it was the kind of wood LP was using at the time, The Siam Oak, also known as Asiac Whitewood or white lau. If you stick with the domestic woods, you should be alright.
Seneferu

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Original Gon Bops had a reputation for cracking and splitting
on the east coast with all weather and humidity changes
we go through. Now I have own a newer Gop Bops bongo for
the last 6, 7 years made out of rubberwood aka Thai/Siam Oak
(in reality there is no such thing as thai/siam oak) and has not
cracked or split on me yet. If I am not mistaken LP was the first
percussion company to relabeled rubberwood to thai/siam oak. I
do not think that there is any wood that is exempt from cracking
or splitting.
RitmoBoricua

Postby caballoballo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm

qoute "Original Gon Bops had a reputation for cracking and splitting
on the east coast with all weather and humidity changes
we go through"

Saludos, The problem (GonBops) is their very weak tuning lugs which do not hold under tension,they are 1/4" thick instead of 5/16" common on many hand made and mass made or 3/8" as on the Colombian made. Also their service personnel do not answer e-mails regarding claims about the lugs. the crowns are very well made and unique shape.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 am

caballoballo wrote:Saludos, The problem (GonBops) is their very weak tuning lugs which do not hold under tension,they are 1/4" thick instead of 5/16" common on many hand made and mass made or 3/8" as on the Colombian made. Also their service personnel do not answer e-mails regarding claims about the lugs. the crowns are very well made and unique shape.

Saludos,

You are not kdding there, right off the bat when I received the bongos from Gon-Bops via Guitar Center I had problems with the lugs,
specifcally the threads; went back to Guitar Center and they tried to contact Gon Bops. Gon Bops took forever to respond and when
they responded, responded with some non-sense stuff. I kept the bongos and like you said nice crowns and finish. The way the hardware
is made on this bongos you can't put thick heads on them, no way. I bought this set like back in 2005 when DW owned Gon Bops.
Attachments
IMAG0105.jpg
Gon-Bops and LP Bongos
RitmoBoricua

Postby cloudedb@aol.com » Sun May 27, 2018 8:27 pm

My name is Andy Bennett. Recently my "foxy black" Timba bongos were stolen.
See attachment. Broke my heart. As you may know Timba closed down. I tried calling who was their rep - Sylvia Cunningham @ 909-2926134 - no response. I'm trying everyone in the western world trying ti get a lead on how I can replace them. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Andy.
cloudedb@aol.com
cloudedb@aol.com

Previous

Return to Bongo