Bongo Heads - A question re: bongo heads

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby 120decibels » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:40 pm

I had a bongo lesson last week, and my teacher (Sam Turner) pulled out a pair of bongos with a thick plastic head on the small drum (macho). He said that it was an "X-ray head" that he got from a guy in NYC many years ago. The head was made of X-Ray film and sounded incredible. Sam said that he had not replaced the head in many years and that he had cranked it up only about a 1/2 turn in that time. He also said that he had an X-ray head on the hembra for a while, but that he didn't like it. He thought the plastic head was only good for the high drum.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone have experience with these heads? Can you still get them? If so, where?

Thanks,

120dB
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:15 pm

:D Hey Decibal ...Sam Turner ...great player/|Teacher. Ask him for me what ever happened to Mousey the piano player,I was there friend back in the 60's for a quick minute thru Montego Joe. When they had the Haryou Group. I was a good friend of Mousey and because we had been drafted for Vietnam we lot touch and never saw or heard from him again....Let me know what Sam says OK/ thanks ....one of my experiences from my past growing up in the Bronx and the young musicians that we were coming up and playing in different bands. Some of us actually had to be "chaparoned" because we were under age to be in the Night Clubs,but we were in the band. The Leader usually took that responsibility. .....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:01 am

Johnny,

Will do. I'm sure Sam will be happy to hear from you. You're right. Sam is a great teacher. The best latin drumming teacher here in Washington, D.C.. I figured you might know him, since you were coming up in NYC at about the same time.

Anyway, Sam didn't know where I could get the X-Ray film head anywhere. Do you?

If you want to check out what Sam's doing now, check out

www.RumbaClub.com

Thanks,

Zach
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:51 pm

:D yO The only place to get Xray film is from a Dentist or a hospital. If you know someone they could probably get a couple for you from a hospital. The other skin that just came out is the NUSKYN,by Remo which is very close to Xray film. You might want to try that. I see Sam is with Rumba Club. Xcellant. |I thought he was still in NYC, so he is in DC now huh? dont forget to ask him about Mousey for me OK? Tks...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:07 pm

Johnny,

I talked to Sam at my lesson on Saturday. He said that he hasn't seen or heard of Mousey in many years. He said that he heard that he was still playing in NYC in the 80's, but that they had lost touch. Sam was able to show me a picture of him on one of the first albums that they played on.

I'm going to email you Sam's telephone number. He said that you should give him a call so that y'all could catch up.

Good Luck,
Zach
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:03 pm

Hi Zach....Thanks bro...for the hook up!...Didhe show u the Har-you album? I have it too. They just re-released it onto CD nottoo long ago. I also have to ask himn about Jose the other conga drummer from our "old hood". We used to call him "lincoln" cause he looked like a young Abraham lincoln with his Round Glasses he used to wear,almost looked nerdy,but he can play for his age. We were all like 16 17 18 and already playing in name bands from the Bronx,Sam too. Here is another name for Sam that will blow him away...Andrew Langston........watch hi face when u mention him to Sam..I will give a call though TKS again..
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:12 pm

:D Thanks Zach......I will give Sam a call this week. Here is another name u can throw at him,it'll widen his eyes...Andrew Langston.....We ran in the same circles but never played together. We were all like 16 17 18 and playing with named bands in the Bronx at that time,ugh I'm dating myself -the 60's....I'm sure Sam has a lot of stories to tell too.....enjoy!...Tks At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:30 pm

Yeah, It was the Har-You Album. I may have to make a tape or pick up the CD.

Anyway, Sam is looking forward to your call. I think I really gave him a "blast from the past" with Andrew Langston!

Enjoy catching up...

Zach
120decibels

Return to Bongo