new lp bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby ianmc » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:58 pm

Has anybody heard anything good about the new bongos/congas that the one of the santana percussionists designed.

thanks

Ian
ianmc

Postby Michael S » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:30 pm

LP comes out with so many new models it's hard to keep track. Hopefully, this will end with their new ownership. I would suspect, but do not know for sure, that all of these new models are nothing more than their Classic series in new clothing, such as the Galaxy model being the Patato model with different hardware.
As far as quality, LP is just plain good, no question there. It's all a matter of taste after that.
You see, after a company sells you a drum, the only way to get much more money out of you is to convince you that you need a different drum than the one you bought and liked already. Just like car companies. Hence, the new models all the time. I think LP has been guilty of this more than other companies. I want to see and hear significant improvements with new models, not just another pretty face or some minor difference that isn't really an "improvement". For instance, the heavier lugs on the Hidalgo models; are they really necessary? Just how tight do we keep our tumbadoras? Which will give first, the lug or the wood shell? And if either gives, how good is the drum to begin with? See what I mean?
Do I sound like a cynic? I am.
Michael S

Postby Simon B » Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:49 pm

I have a review in a drum magazine of these - they are LP Accents Santanas. They appear to have almost identical hardware to the Giovannis, but they are fibreglass drums. The reviewer says that 'their sound is very gutsy and very loud', has a 'huge bottom end', but suggests that this is 'a little bit at the expense of expression, perhaps'. Personally I would buy Giovannis over these just because of the fact that they are wood.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:05 am

They are not the LP brand, they are Matador!
Go to http://www.lpmusic.com and look for the title "WHAT'S NEW"
RayBoogie

Postby Michael S » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:15 pm

See what I mean about LP? Not even the pros can keep up!
Michael S

Postby tamboricua » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:25 pm

ianmc wrote:Has anybody heard anything good about the new bongos/congas that the one of the santana percussionists designed.

thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, hope all is well! I believe you are referring to the Raúl Rekow Signature Matador line of drums. The ones with the green sparkle finish, right? Those drums came out about a year ago, but they don't feature any new innovation to the Matador line, just the sparkle finish thing. Perhaps a market strategy? All Matador fiberglass drums are 28" inch tall, including these ones.

LP just came out with a new Armando Peraza Signature series drums, and a new version of the Galaxy Giovanni Hidalgo drums 32" inches tall. Check them out at:

http://www.congahead.com

Look under the NAMM 2003 Convention!

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby Juancao » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:35 pm

Hey those "new" Matadors are the same old thing just with new green sparkle finish. The Timbales are the same thing as well. The new Armando Peraza congas look real nice. LP gotta keep coming out with new stuff so people will keep buying. Don't give in to the marketing
Juancao

Postby tamboricua » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:27 pm

Juancao wrote:Hey those "new" Matadors are the same old thing just with new green sparkle finish. The Timbales are the same thing as well. The new Armando Peraza congas look real nice. LP gotta keep coming out with new stuff so people will keep buying. Don't give in to the marketing

Cool Juancao, you got my point! The Peraza's too are the same old thing, just "Patato" drums with different finish and gold hardware.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Jan. 28 2003 at 22:32
tamboricua

Return to Bongo