drum position - playing bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby ElCreepo » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:53 pm

recently i purchased a pair of LP bongos the 35th anniversary series, the one with the sparkling blue......anyway....does anyone know of any "style of playing bongos without compromising the sound and without the use of a stand ,aside from placing them between your legs. I mean i'm a small person and these drums are heavy, i actually bruised my leg, after playing for some time. oh and BTW is anyone here from the Philippines? i can't seem to find materials and teachers in this part of the world. thanks.

ElCreepo
ElCreepo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:02 pm

hELLO ...THE BEST TEACHER IS IN iNDONESIA AND HIS NAME IS STEVE THORNTON. hE IS AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE FROM nEW yORK cITY . He now lives in, I think in Singapore. Also goto Lessons4You.com...to see if there is a Teacher in Manila. I know there used to be a group called Dakila many congas ago in Manila and they had 2 or 3 percussionists in the band maybe they are still around and you can study with one of them. There are many great musicians in the Phillepines,you might want to try the local University also. At your Service.. JC JOHNNY CONGA.....MONGO LIVES!....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:07 pm

Vaya ElCreepo....that is what my wife calls me from time to time too!.....smile....anyway No there is no other way to play bongos outside of using a stand.(except for between the legs) If they are too heavy for between the legs then have a stand made so you can still sit and have the bongos between your legs on a stand. That is the best suggestion I can think of. I know cause I have a friend of mine who did that. Made a stand for his bongos that he can still play sitting down, and still able to pick up the cowbell without missing a beat..At your service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....MONGO LIVES!.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby ElCreepo » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:38 am

Thanks for the advice JohnnyConga. I really appreciate it.
ElCreepo

Postby Michael S » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:01 pm

ElCreepo, I like that moniker too. Is it a false cognate or does it really mean what it sounds like?
Michael S

Postby ElCreepo » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:48 pm

Hi michael S, ElCreepo was born out of my love of reptiles and not a personal description. I like the way it sounds so i use it a lot.
ElCreepo

Postby muddy323 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:14 pm

LP have a Bongo stand, design for seated player.
muddy323

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:28 pm

Interesting about the LP stand. I've found that many stands for the standing bongosero don't go low enough to accomodate a seated player. A gap in the market filled!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Michael S » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:03 pm

Gibraltar makes a tripod stand that they claim can be used seated or standing. They also make a seated bongo stand that consists of a single, adjustable leg. Both can be had from http://www.interstatemusic.com at a cost much less than LP. Their catalog numbers are, respectively: ST718, ST718S. I'd be interested in any feedback from someone familiar with these products.
Michael S

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:34 am

To get the heavy out of the new bongos sold out there with those heavy comfort groove rims is to get the traditional rims. Believe me....you will feel them lighter...It will cost you $30 to $50 bucks more but they are worth it. I've done when I want to get an LP generation II in blue which LP does not have in blue. (Only red and natural are availalbe in traditional rims).

One drawback, and is not actually a drawback because with the "comfort rims" that is the way you play, is that the two drums will be further away from each other than with bongos that were made for traditional rims. Is not big deal...

The comfort rims are great when playing in stands. (That is the most common situation when you constantly hit the rim. When you are playing with the bongos between your legs it should not happen). Companies are now having all their bongos with those rims which are great but are not suitable for the seated (normally "salsa") players.

Saludos
Raymond

Postby yoni » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:04 pm

Hi ElCreepo, (you seem brave to choose that name

:D )

I play LP bongos with the comfort curve, usually in the seated (tradidional) position.

They are heavy, but I re-position the tuning lugs so they sit right in the corners of my legs where the knees bend - this makes them easier to grip with the legs, and prevents the legs from getting bruised by the tuning lugs.

hope this helps some,
yoni
yoni

Return to Bongo