repairing synthetic heads - Is it possible to rapair a torn head?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby james » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:54 pm

I have a Remo Fibreskyn 3 macho bongo head that has a small tear worn through to the plastic at the bearing edge. I bought the bongos used and I think it looks like the previous owner played with a ring on his/her finger. The head is tuned tight and still plays fine. Is there anyway I can repair the tear to prevent it from getting bigger or eventually tearing all the way across the head when further tightened? I can't spend an extra $30 for a new head right now.
james

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:23 pm

Never had the experience but my recommendation contact Remo. (I have a feeling they will tell you something that in essence is to go get a new head...ummmm).

If it is working "dont mess with it". It might work fine (although only for awhile. Hopefully. until you get the $30 for a new head).
Raymond

Postby Bill Losh » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:09 pm

James,
Don't worry about the tear if it is only the brown covering exposing a white underlayment. I have a friend who has a conga that at this point is almost totally white "la Fea". It has been deteriorating like this for over three years that I have been playing with him. He could easily replace it , but it sounds great although it feels a little wierd.
It sounds like it is getting worn in the striking area, if this is the case, why not try loosening the head and rotating it so you strike a different area.
Super Glue? Don't know if it will help but I've used it on everything I think I own including myself, holds split fingernails together long enough to grow out and quit hurting.
In reality other than being ugly I don't think the tear will hurt a thing. Bill Losh
Bill Losh

Postby door » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:29 pm

if you see the plastyc of your skin there is no problem, I play two years on a "broken" skin and he sounds very good, I have just taped him for the ressonnancion.
less is more
door

Return to Bongo